Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:40 PM   #1

Default images using the 50-200mm +EC14/EC20

In recent days I've been asked by a number of forum members what my thoughts were using a teleconverter + the 50-200mm and the 70-300mm lenses. It appears that there is enough interest in this topic to post some results and share what little I know about the topic.

This post is not intended to be a monologue. Rather, my hope is that those forum members who also use the EC14 and/or the EC20 will also post their images as well as their findings as to what works best for them and the camera body they use.

This is a forum in which all benefit from each other's experiences. I look forward to your participation.

In the meantime, here are 2 series of images. The 1st taken with the 50-200mm +EC14 and the 2nd series taken with the 50-200mm +EC20.
All taken with the E-30 mounted to a monopod. NO SHARPENING HAS BEEN APPLIED TO ANY IMAGES. I DID ADJUST FOR EXPOSURE,CONTRAST, AND BRIGHTNESS.

THESE 3 WERE TAKEN WITH THE 50-200MM +EC20;

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:55 PM   #2

Now that you've had a chance to look at the images, I'll add that I shoot all my images in Manual mode, with the ISO set to ISO AUTO with the highest ISO set to 3200. WB is set to AUTO. I use hi-burst setting for the shutter release, S-AF w/diamond pattern.

My experience with both teleconverters is that they perform best when stopped down some. As an example, if you take a look at the EXIF data of each of the
images, you'll see that I tend set the aperture to f-6.3 for the 50-200mm+EC14
and I've found in my shooting the last 3 weeks, that f-9 seems to work best for the 50-200mm EC20.

Regardless of which telecon I'm using, I vary the shutter speed depending upon what it is I'm shooting. i.e. birds in flight =shutter speed 1/1250sec. with birds stationary or hunting slowly=1/800sec.

The bright Florida sun really provides an advantage as far as being able to use high shutter speeds with the aperture stepped down. In fact, I've found if I don't stop down the aperture and use fast shutters speeds, I get overexposed images. This is not the case - generally- when I shoot at home as I don't think the sun is typically this bright. I'm definitely going to take a bunch of shots when I get home and compare them to what I'm getting here.

I'm running out of time today (my wife keeps telling me we have to go) so I'll post some more images and findings using the 70-300mm + EC14 and EC20 telecons

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:22 PM   #3

Hey, don't go on at me, I always read yours and everybodys posts...

Interesting, informative and I'll always enjoy good photos of one of my fav birds. Then one day in the not too distant future I plan on adding the 50-200 and the C20 to my bag.

Looking forward to your shots with the 70-300 with the EC20.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:04 PM   #4

All good zig. You have been posting awesome shots. We are going to miss your Florida bird shots when you go back home.

(Maybe when the price of gasoline goes down some of us can think about a 50-200mm!! But I'm still leaning toward my next purchase to be an E-30).
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:02 PM   #5

Default The importance of Light

Went to Tigertail Wildlife refuge today to see if the Osprey chick was going to fly today. When i got there the clouds had moved in. It was not really dark but rather, the light was dull. I took a few shots before the clouds turned an ugly black and I decided to get back to the car. A couple of hours later, the sun reemerged and it was as bright as ever. So, went back and tried again.

While the chick didn't attempt to fly, I got a lesson in the importance of light.

Both images were taken with the E-30 50-200mm +EC14 telecon. I used the monopod. Both images have been cropped. NO SHARPENING HAS BEEN APPLIED TO EITHER IMAGE. WHATEVER NOISE IS PRESENT IS AS A RESULT OF THE CAMERA ADJUSTING THE ISO TO SUIT THE SITUATION.

This first image was taken while it was overcast. I had to back off of the shutter speed and aperture to get enough light to take the shot and then , the ISO was still @1250. Also , the white balance didn't come out well because of the light - or lack of it.

This next shot was taken with all the same equipment. Because of the return of the bright sun, I was able to increase the aperture, shutter speed and still the camera chose an ISO of 160.

The Exif Data can be seen if you just click on the image.

Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:11 PM   #6

Fantastic pictures Zig,

Very interesting to see how the IQ change on the pictures you shoot with bright sun and overcast, first because the low light conditions and the need to use and higher ISO.

Looks to me the EC-14 offer a better IQ than the EC-20.

With the combo 70-300 + EC-20 the picture suffer a severe diffraction of the image.

I really appreciate the info you are sharing here with us.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Fantastic pictures Zig,

Very interesting to see how the IQ change on the pictures you shoot with bright sun and overcast, first because the low light conditions and the need to use and higher ISO.

Looks to me the EC-14 offer a better IQ than the EC-20.

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

I agree. To your point, here are a few more images taken with the 50-200mm+EC14telecon. While the EC20 does provide IMHO extremely good images, I prefer the EC14. It has been much more consistent in terms of IQ.

I really like this image showing the Snowy Egret's large yellow feet.

Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Default Thank you to Steven and the residents of SW Florida

Well, my time here in beautiful Marco Island, Florida is rapidly coming to a close. I've had the good fortune of spending almost 4 weeks in just about perfect weather. The people here have been very friendly, lots of fun to be around, and plenty of places to go to and photograph your brains out, as I have this last month.

Tomorrow will be spent cleaning up the condo, loading the car, and getting ready to head for home Thursday.

I have put together a gallery of a lot of the images taken at Tigertail Wildlife Refuge and loaded it into my smugmug site.

For those that might have an interest, here is the link:

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Nature/bir...32753275_oggw7

Can't wait to get home.

Zig

Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:02 PM   #9

I took at look at your shots ... wow ! Great job !

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:39 PM   #10

......I've enjoyed your stay in Florida Zig, be safe on your journey home; tell Martha hi and thanks for letting you make so many wonderful photo files from Florida.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote