Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:37 AM   #1

Default New Lens for a New member

Hello friends,

I just joined this group and have been watching this group for some time and was amazed how members are keeping it so live.

Also the images what is shared here are truly amazing and thought i should be part of this group.

I am a newbie on photography and have had olympus C765 UZ for some years and thought will give try on DSLR.

I currently have Olympus E620, 14-42mm standard kit lens. Have been thinking of having my lens upgraded, I went online and some how I got struck with Zuiko 50-200mm 2.8 - 3.5 SWD and got it delivered yesterday. Was a big buck on my pocket and my wife almost got on the way to kill me

But somehow i managed to have it in my hand and to be frank i am not sure if i would have to have it, reasons are

1. I have to still learn more on Camera itself.
2. I should have got a lens with less focal length (12-60 or similar)
3. Should a newbie like me deserve such a good lens?
4. Lens is Front heavy on E620.

What do you guys think? I would love to hear comments or suggestions from friends like you.

Anyway I tried to shoot on my new lens and have posted it here for your comments and suggestions.

Nice being on this forum once again.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:11 AM   #2

Hi,

Good morning, congratulations on getting the E-620 and the 50-200mm lens.
They will serve you well.

Yes the 50-200mm lens is heavy, 995 grams and, on the E-620 will feel a bit front heavy, at first. Especially in comparison to your existing camera. The 40-150mm lens would probably be a more comfortable alternative.

Having said that, the 50-200mm lens is in a class of it's own, in terms of image quality. It s a fine performer and renders very sharp, high quality images.

As for wether you may have made a mistake, while I don't think so, it all has to do with what you like to shoot; landscapes, etc. or close ups of flowers birds, wildlife, etc.

The 50-200mm is perfectly suited for wildlife photography or if you're interested in getting a close up of a distant subject. The 12-60mm SWD is a more versatile lens IMHO. It is great for landscape, portrait and general photography.

A suggestion, I would download the E-620 manual and read it completely. Getting familiar with the controls, settings, and adjustments of your camera will allow you to set the camera for the conditions and improve your photographic experience immensely. Also, you might want to hold off buying any additional lenses until you get a better feel of the type of photography you would like to concentrate on.

best of luck
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:04 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum, your shot is nice and it looks like you picked a good set up to start with. I still only have the 70 300 but the 50 200 is in my future. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
I also had the 765 and loved it. For a 4mgpix 10 optical camera it was pretty decent on IQ. Couple old shots from the 765, you brought me back a few years, I had fun with that camera.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:31 AM   #4

Welcome abound, we are glad to have you here. You will find knowledgeable folks with good skills and advice. I can't add any more to what Zig has mentioned.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:04 PM   #5

Much the same from me Peru, My next lens would be the 50-200, some of the shots from these members here with it are top quality. Stay with it, read up on the camera and show us what you've got.

Then work on your wife for a shorter lens...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:39 PM   #6

Welcome Peru .!

Zig's covered most of the bases but I'd like to give you my answer on question :

3. Should a newbie like me deserve such a good lens?

Yes .. and when you've mastered that lens you might want to look at getting an EC14 or step up to the 35-100 SHG!

To improve the balance with the 50-200 and also may be the AF performance, you might want to look at getting the HLD grip for the E620:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/19...ld-5_21030.htm

Pic from biofos.com.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:40 PM   #7

Default Thanks for warm welcome

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all your support and positive energy you have poured on me.

Zig, I would say i have got more info from you. I already have downloaded E-620 manual and am going to start exploring.

I would put a stop for my lens buying spree and work on my camera more. After some time as Scouse mentioned I will work with my wife and get a smaller lens as well.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:20 PM   #8

Hi Harj,

I see your point. That is also a valid point to stop my front heavy issue.

Does this GRIP improve AF performance? this is a new news to me.

Can you explain more if you have time on how this can happen?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:24 AM   #9

I think with using a lens like the 50-200swd or even a SHG lens your going to need more battery power,as the batteries in the 620 are not the standrad BLM-1 which can hold a fair amount of juice. The grip will give you just that, so I'd say that it should help to improve AF speed as well.
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:37 PM   #10

Makes sense. I will try to find some budget for that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
I think with using a lens like the 50-200swd or even a SHG lens your going to need more battery power,as the batteries in the 620 are not the standrad BLM-1 which can hold a fair amount of juice. The grip will give you just that, so I'd say that it should help to improve AF speed as well.