Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:36 AM   #1

Default Back to street shooting..

All taken with the E3 + 14-54 during lunch or after work. Shot RAW PP in LR3.

1. Shades

2. BBC News crew... now you'd think that shooting a feature in public, and in full view of everyone that the news crew would just crack on and film but nope as soon as I took the E3 out and before I could even raise the camera was asked not to take a pic. I took two shots then moved on but its things like that which at times put me off street shooting. What caught my eye on this was the BBC news presenter George Maxwell Alagiah whose standing on the other side of teh road.

3. Shadows ... out looking for shadows during lunchtime

4. Shadows 2

5. A wee bit of food photography

6. Green fly - I hadn;t noticed the green fly on the maple leave until last night. They simply weren;t visible when I took the shot.

7. Cycling the dog

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 8, 2011 at 6:00 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:39 AM   #2

Nice shots Harj, I like the leaf shot wtih all the little critters on it.
Why was BBC even concerned about you taking a shot ?
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:09 AM   #3

....good to see you out Harj

I have that cam/lens combination but for some reason it doesn't seem to work quite the same, hihi.

Of these I like the shadows best, particularly the bicycle, but all are quite nice. Thanks for sharing your outing.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:27 AM   #4

Hi Eric/Bob

Its nice to be out and shooting but soemtimes I just don;t feel as comfortable as I'd like to be and that little run in with the BBC crew was a classic example. Its not as if I was close up and personal and being disruptive, but they still had to get one of their runners to attempt to stop me taking a shot.

Bob, I 've modified my PP in LR/ACR recently, and teh changes have been to the sharpening settings:

Sharpening - 70%
radius: 0.7
Detail: 70-80% (depends on what the subject but for landscapes/street etc its usually around 80%)
Mask: adjust to taste (usually for street/landscape - 10-50%; portraits 70%)

Also I set the clarity:

Clarity - 70-80% (if its for portraits I drop the clairty down to 30%)

Cheers

Harj
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:57 AM   #5

I was downtown a few weeks ago shooting when I was told by a security guard who walked outside I could not shoot the building has was in, so I promptly walked across the street and shot it....several times. I had already gotten the images I wanted, but did the extra shots in plain view of the door he walked out of just so he could see me doing it.

I would imagine blueprints of the building I was shooting are available online somewhere, somehow, if someone wanted to really do something bad. There's a reason why security guard positions don't pay much....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I was downtown a few weeks ago shooting when I was told by a security guard who walked outside I could not shoot the building has was in, so I promptly walked across the street and shot it....several times. I had already gotten the images I wanted, but did the extra shots in plain view of the door he walked out of just so he could see me doing it.

I would imagine blueprints of the building I was shooting are available online somewhere, somehow, if someone wanted to really do something bad. There's a reason why security guard positions don't pay much....
They make me feel soooooooo secure and safe. <== Said with as much sarcasm as I can muster.

I mean, really... how safe can one feel with an over-aged, obese (sometimes morbidly obese), dimbulb "protecting" me or my property? But, that's why they're doing what they're doing, I suppose.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:01 PM   #7

Nice series Harj, my favorites are #1, 3 and 5.

BTW what kind of food is that, I notice the brown rice around the bowl but what is inside?

Looks delicious.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 6:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Its nice to be out and shooting but soemtimes I just don;t feel as comfortable as I'd like to be and that little run in with the BBC crew was a classic example. Its not as if I was close up and personal and being disruptive, but they still had to get one of their runners to attempt to stop me taking a shot.
Harj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

For both the US and Britain, I keep saying to myself when these situations arise: these violate the freedoms that make our countries worth defending. When I took my oath as a comissioned Navy Officer (many years ago), the oath was not to defend my country. It was to defend the Constitution of the USA.

A very wise oath.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:07 PM   #9

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the comments and even more so regards whether its ok to shoot in public places or not. The police here have been using a specific anti-terrorist law to stop and harass photographers (tourists, hobbysits and Pro's alike) on top of the kind of harassment that Greg stated by security guards. It does put me off of shooting on the street, not only do you have to watch who you take a pic of but also where as well.

If any of you guys pop over to London, the worst place for getting harassed by security guards is Canary Wharf, although parts of the city of London is not that far behind. I had the same thing that occurred to Greg happen to me when I was wondering around and about to take a snap of the Barclays Capital building. Just mental if you ask me. A couple of years ago there was a demo there with approx 100 photographers all walking around at the same time taking pics of the various buildings waiting to see if the squads of security guards and police there would intervene and harass. Surprisingly, not one of us was prevented from taking a snap!

Marcelo .. not sure what the food was ..your right there was brown rice, some zucchini, some yogurt etc. but it was all put together by a food stylist friend of mine.

Cheers

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:06 PM   #10

Great series Harj,

As for the security guards harassing photographers and police trying to stop people from taking photographs, it is totally absurd. The simple fact remains that, if a terrorist wanted to get photos of a specific building, blueprints, floor plans all they need to do now is google it. Or, use google images.

They don't have to even leave their cave or the rock they live under.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote