Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default A MUCH smaller cruising vessel

Here's as close to a cruise as I'll likely get. As population density increases, so soes my discomfort.

I'm thinking of calling her "Backwater Stealth".



__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Ken - not all cruises are the same. In the early '70's I sailed on a cruise in the Penobscot Bay aboard the J&E Riggin, an 76' (LWL) gaff-rigged topsail schooner. She was built in 1927, did oystering for many years, and in the early '70's was bought and moved to Maine as a "windjammer" cruise ship (even back then I guess owners figured no one would know that a fore-and-aft-rigged ship is not a windjammer).

We sailed around that Bay and anchored at night in little Maine lobster-fishermen towns where they would have rolled up the sidewalks at night if they actually had sidewalks . One of the crew was an excellent hammer dulcimer player and that was our entertainment at night, along with the lobster boats dieseling by at dawn every morning. About as far from Florida bling as you can get.

I got my first dose of Maine humor from the captain of the Riggin. I was the only passenger who was a sailor and the captain invited me to drive. But he knew I had never piloted a sailing ship with a displacement that large (61 tonnes) so I didn't really appreciate that the time lag between a rudder change, and the ship's response, was not a matter of seconds but of weeks (or so it seemed). So the first time he told me to come about I just held the wheel in the new position until the ship started to turn, which of course was way, way, way too long. But it gave the captain the opportunity to (good-naturedly) rag on me for a while.

I'd do it again in a minute. Matter of fact, the Riggin is still sailing and now is a National Historic Landmark.

Ted
Ted: that sounds like quite an adventure. The people who crewed those old sailing ships had to be very rugged individuals. Don't think I could have handled it. However, those ships are so picturesque. Did you get any shots of that ship?



Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Here's as close to a cruise as I'll likely get. As population density increases, so sows my discomfort.

I'm thinking of calling her "Backwater Stealth".

.................................................. ..........................
.......................................
Well, you got me laughing on that one Greg. My idea of "roughing it" is when the TV set in the motel room doesn't work. LOL. Where is the dining room, wet bar, and potty on your "Backwater Stealth" boat?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:01 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Well, you got me laughing on that one Greg. My idea of "roughing it" is when the TV set in the motel room doesn't work. LOL. Where is the dining room, wet bar, and potty on your "Backwater Stealth" boat?
Well, I could add a porta-potty. Dining is done from the top of the cooler, and the wet bar... ummm..... well what else am I carrying the cooler for? It doesn't have side thrusters, though.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Well, I could add a porta-potty. Dining is done from the top of the cooler, and the wet bar... ummm..... well what else am I carrying the cooler for? It doesn't have side thrusters, though.
Hi Greg,

With that electric motor up front, I'm sure you don't need any thrusters at all.
While in Florida this March, I went fishing on my friends' flats skiff. Earlier in the year he finally installed an electric motor on the bow of the skiff. Man, that little motor was incredible. Silent, but very capable of controlling the boat wherever we wanted to go.

P.S. whatever do you need a porta potty for? When nature calls, you're out in a most natural of settings. nuff said..........

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:50 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Ted: that sounds like quite an adventure. The people who crewed those old sailing ships had to be very rugged individuals. Don't think I could have handled it. However, those ships are so picturesque. Did you get any shots of that ship?
Steven, I know I did but that was almost 40 years ago. I've spent a lot of time trying to find those old prints, without much success. I've moved around a lot since then. But you can find her on the Internet.

We should get Zig to go up there and image her...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Steven, I know I did but that was almost 40 years ago. I've spent a lot of time trying to find those old prints, without much success. I've moved around a lot since then. But you can find her on the Internet.

We should get Zig to go up there and image her...

Ted
I understand Ted. I have hundreds of old prints that I've misplaced in all my moves. I also have hundreds that I have saved, that I'm going to get around scanning one of these days.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Well, I could add a porta-potty. Dining is done from the top of the cooler, and the wet bar... ummm..... well what else am I carrying the cooler for? It doesn't have side thrusters, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

With that electric motor up front, I'm sure you don't need any thrusters at all.
While in Florida this March, I went fishing on my friends' flats skiff. Earlier in the year he finally installed an electric motor on the bow of the skiff. Man, that little motor was incredible. Silent, but very capable of controlling the boat wherever we wanted to go.

P.S. whatever do you need a porta potty for? When nature calls, you're out in a most natural of settings. nuff said..........

Zig
But guys: where do you put the wide screen flat panel HD television????
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

But Steven, there's nothing wrong with my memory of that cruise. Here's another story of Down East humor. The Riggin was becalmed one afternoon and another cruise sailboat was becalmed along side of us. The 2 captains started talking.

Ours: "Not much wind here."
Theirs: "Nope."
Ours: "There's a story that you can get the wind moving, by tearing a $10 bill in half and throwing it into the water next to your ship."
Theirs (nodding his head): "Yep, I've heard that."
Ours: "You first."

Ya gotta love it.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Apr 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
banksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,144
Default

Nice shots Steve, funny that TV program you speak of was on last night! She is some ship.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:49 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Ken - not all cruises are the same. In the early '70's I sailed on a cruise in the Penobscot Bay aboard the J&E Riggin, an 76' (LWL) gaff-rigged topsail schooner. She was built in 1927, did oystering for many years, and in the early '70's was bought and moved to Maine as a "windjammer" cruise ship (even back then I guess owners figured no one would know that a fore-and-aft-rigged ship is not a windjammer).

We sailed around that Bay and anchored at night in little Maine lobster-fishermen towns where they would have rolled up the sidewalks at night if they actually had sidewalks . One of the crew was an excellent hammer dulcimer player and that was our entertainment at night, along with the lobster boats dieseling by at dawn every morning. About as far from Florida bling as you can get.

I got my first dose of Maine humor from the captain of the Riggin. I was the only passenger who was a sailor and the captain invited me to drive. But he knew I had never piloted a sailing ship with a displacement that large (61 tonnes) so I didn't really appreciate that the time lag between a rudder change, and the ship's response, was not a matter of seconds but of weeks (or so it seemed). So the first time he told me to come about I just held the wheel in the new position until the ship started to turn, which of course was way, way, way too long. But it gave the captain the opportunity to (good-naturedly) rag on me for a while.

I'd do it again in a minute. Matter of fact, the Riggin is still sailing and now is a National Historic Landmark.

Ted
Done some old Gaffer sailing. Had the chance to sail to Hawaii on a 45 foot gaff schooner once. The owners mom wanted me to go along and help, she'd give me an air ticket home.
Went to look the boat over and meet the crew. their biggest concern was where to hide their stash, even stuffed some in the brass clock. Coast Guard would never look there.

I declined, I could see that after the first week the owner was going to be getting towed behind in the dinghy while I tossed him food.
Six guys and one girl actually made the trip in 24 days. When they got to the dock they all took different routes away from the boat and never spoke to each other again.
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:04 AM.