Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Default A couple of images and a (tripod-related) question...

Had my E5 out after work in the overcast late afternoon/early evening light, playing with my Manfrotto 055CXPro4 tripod and Vanguard SBH-250 ballhead, the combination of which is lighter than the 50-200 SWD lens and super easy to carry.

The ballhead came with two mounting plates, one of which I mounted on the base of my E5 vertical grip and the other to the tripod mount of the 50-200. Using both the 50-200 and 12-60 SWD's here are three images I captured at pretty darn low shutter speeds, thanks to the tripod..

Now comes the question. Around 30 minutes or so into the walk I noticed the camera felt loose and it turned out it was the mounting plate coming loose on the 50-200. After a very short while the same thing started happening with the mounting plate on the body itself. Short of gluing the damn things on (I had originally tightened them very snuggly) what can one do to securely put these things on?

Neither the camera or lens have rubber material surrounding the tripod mount to help adhere the two together. The plates themselves do. Should I be placing thin rubber gaskets between the mounting plates and camera/lens?

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Good question. I've never had that problem, but my equipment is lighter than the weight of yours.

I would be interested in the answer, because I plan to try out the 70-300 with my tripod, and wonder if it will give the same type of problem.

(Nice shots by the way.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3

I think I figured it out. The mounting plates seemed to have a slick surface on the rubber part. I washed them in grease-cutting soap and it seems to have taken the slick surface off and made them stick to the surface of the camera bottom and lens tripod mount much more securely.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote