Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:39 AM   #1

Default Friday evening at the track

The sun still isn't staying up late enough. Only the first three races had any ambient light, and the third of those the light was low enough I was already at ISO 1600 1/3 stop from wide open with the 50-200 SWD on my E5 and the races were all run in wind gusts of 25-30 MPH, but it was a nice starting evening for me this season.

The evening started at ISO 400 to keep the shutter speeds up fast enough to freeze the action as well as possible. I had image stabilization turned off at that setting.

I raised the ISO to 500 for the second race..

Then the sun went behind a cloud bank and I was up to ISO 1600 and wide open at f3.5..

By the time I was up to ISO 2000, I had IS turned on to mode 2 for panning due to shutter speeds being too low to freeze any substantial movement. I came out of this race now knowing the 1/250 to 1/320 shutter speed range is a good one for panning effects with the 50-200 SWD wide open at f3.5. Going forward when I want to try this affect again in low light, I may just set that exposure manually and let the camera choose the ISO.

I was finally forced to ISO 3200 after the sun was completely down and the track was only lit under it's own lights, and this was on the further away inside turf track..

Finally, I went down 1/3 more stop to ISO 4000, which was better than nothing. Plenty of noise for sure. I came out of this perfectly happy with the image quality to ISO 3200 in the darkness, especially if you get the action up close enough. Not getting in close creates images with detail to small for the cameras' sensor to resolve. Thankfully, tomorrows races start at 1:35.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:44 AM   #2

E-5 looks to do a very nice job. 2000iso is very clean. The horse and jockey is still crisp. And acceptable at 3200, a bit more noise, but not too bad still. 4000 you take you can get giving the situation.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 6:09 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

I like the fact that the first two images show the E-5's ability to control detail in the highlighted areas in not blowing them out. The jockey's pants in particular, are bright, yet show good detail.

I like the panning effect you did. Those images really do convey the feeling of motion and speed of the jockey's and horses.

Another informative and educational series of images. Thanks.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:59 AM   #4

Hi, Zig.

I really liked the panning effects in the ISO 2000 images as I was processing them last night. Next time I'm out there in the evening after the sun goes down I think that's going to be my method of shooting. Had I set the camera to shutter speed priority and something like 1/320 second, instead of going up to ISO 3200-4000, I think the camera may never have gone above ISO 2000 using Auto ISO.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
E-5 looks to do a very nice job. 2000iso is very clean. The horse and jockey is still crisp. And acceptable at 3200, a bit more noise, but not too bad still. 4000 you take you can get giving the situation.
I did come out of the evening very happy with image quality up to ISO 2000. I could have upped the luminence noise slider further to the right in some of the ISO 1600 files but chose to keep it in a range one would probably compare to setting the in-camera noise filter to Low.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:45 PM   #6

Good series, both you and the camera did a very good job in changing light conditions.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:26 PM   #7

Good job on those pics considering the light changing during the shoot! Like 'em!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:17 AM   #8

If your intention is to show what a thoroughbred really looks like at full tilt, the lighting in #2 is absolutely perfect. It really models the horse's muscles.

Ted

PS: and I say that as someone who knows a lot about the business side of, and so is extremely opposed to that inhumane sport.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote