Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:54 AM   #1

Default The E5 resolving detail at the races

Warming up for race #5..

I could have known this by looking at the time of the shot (well....not really. I just noticed I did not change the E5's clock back from Mountain Time to Central Time after coming home from New Mexico last month!) and reviewing the program for which time each race went off, but the program is clearly viewable....underneath the saddlehorn of this handler..

Some other shots from today..

Seven horses and six riders..

Two jockeys, discussing who is going to buy dinner this evening..

Getting straight in the saddle..

Racing for a $200,000 purse..

Track steward keeping an eye on the field warming up..

Flying by the rest of the field..

Going all out on the inside turf track. I needed the extra reach of the EC20 to get this close with the 50-200..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:12 AM   #2

I am convinced this is all about camera differences (E-5 vs E-3) (hehe), I do wish!

...I saw those fantastic photos being made, great fun today Greg. BTW I needed today more than I realized, it has been a full year since I photographed any moving subject and it showed when I looked at my files, I saved a couple though, here is one. Gotta do today again for sure.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 8:29 PM   #3

Great action Greg. The 3rd shot down is almost the same angle as one from your previous post but the action on this is so much more exciting, you've caught nearly all of them as they're stretching out. The other, even though one pony is totally airborn, looks slower.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I am convinced this is all about camera differences (E-5 vs E-3) (hehe), I do wish!

...I saw those fantastic photos being made, great fun today Greg. BTW I needed today more than I realized, it has been a full year since I photographed any moving subject and it showed when I looked at my files, I saved a couple though, here is one. Gotta do today again for sure.
Very nice capture, Bob!

I really enjoyed the day, too. We'll need to get back together again on a day a little more quiet than dollar day!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:28 PM   #5

Great shots guys! That E-5 sure produces nice pics! Wow!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:15 PM   #6

Hi Greg

Been waiting patiently for all of the E5 sports shots, esp yours and our other Greg's. The detail in the crop looks very good, although it would be have been even better to have seen how the E30 would have fared. How did you find the handling and the AF compared to the E30 ? Did you change to SAF or stick to the CAF diamond pattern for the shots ? What about shots taken head on or close to being head on .. we know those are going to be always tough. Keeper rate ???

Cheers

HArj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:58 AM   #7

Hi, Harj.

I'd like one more trip before I really comment in-depth about the continuous AF, which worked fine but I'm still working out the settings I'm using. So many options. This was the first weekend since last July that I have done any race shooting, the first time with the E5 and I was playing with various settings each race, one of which was going back & forth between C-AF and S-AF. The next trip I will be using continuous AF much more extensively. The one thing I have to get better at when using C-AF is, making sure and re-engage C-AF faster. When you use burst shooting, AF is obviously locked as you shoot and the horses are moving so fast you cannot keep focus locked for more than a quick 2 shot burst or they'll move out of the established depth of field when shooting at f4 like I was doing. Changing the release from fully depressed for shooting back to the half-press to re-engage C-AF takes some practice. I have the single AF process down to the point I can do the quick 2 shot burst, refocus quickly, shoot again and over the 3-4 seconds the action is closest can capture around 8 images or so.

I was also at Friday evening's races and very much liked the higher ISO stuff I captured with the E5 compared to past years with the E30 or E1, particularly the one race where I tried out the Mode 2 IS and panned with the horses at a shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/320 second at ISO 2000, which was too slow to freeze any type of fast action but conveyed movement very well..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:21 AM   #8

Hope you are enjoying your E5 and certainly the images are stunning. Also I feel very sad that E5 will be last on 4-3rd on Olympus SLR and they are moving to PEN
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:56 AM   #9

hi Greg
I refrained from posting on your dpr thread to keep it clean of the morons that follow me around. Just wanted to say the acuity in these shots is simply great and a testament to your improving skills. Will also be interested in your comments on AF when you decide where its at.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote