Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I see it as Olympus placing digital photography on the back burner. They have lost the fire in my opinion. They are getting their butts kicked by Panasonic in micro fourthirds. They don't compare well with autofocus speed, they don't compare well with video, they put out a series of consumer brightless lenses and consumer grade bodies at fairly high prices. Panasonic has gems such as 20mm f1.7, 45mm Leica macro, 7-14 f4, and so on and so on.

In all reality, I see a company that doesn't want to lead in anything. Its just a company that wants to exist. Medical is a different story, but they are pretty much out of the digital camera bussiness as far as leading in ideas.

Sorry folks, but their getting kicked bad. Panasonic is the leader and the gap is getting wider.
Yes Greg,

As I mentioned, it's not getting any easier to stay with Olympus.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,

Your full sized fourthirds Zuiko digital lenses will fit and operate on the Panasonic Fourthirds dslr cameras albeit, Panasonic pulled out of that market sooner than Olympus.

And, your fourthirds Zuiko digital lenses will fit on either the Olympus or the Panasonic micro fourthirds camera bodies with the aid of an adapter.

Having said that, not all functionality will be available on the Panasonic bodies.

Here is a link to the official Fourthirds/Micro Fourthirds website which should help in explaining the variables.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourth...hitepaper.html

Zig
Thanks, Zig. Sad... very sad.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:50 PM   #13

Im not sure about Olys future ,but for a someone starting out its a great system to start with..The first camera i bought back in december 2010 was an Fz40 for 500.00 and wasnt impressed with the IQ, so i bought an E-510,E-520, 2x 14-40,40-150,35 macro and 70-300 ,extra cards UV filters ect,ect for under 900.00 USD and coudnt be happier!!!
dane/dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane/dawg View Post
Im not sure about Olys future ,but for a someone starting out its a great system to start with..The first camera i bought back in december 2010 was an Fz40 for 500.00 and wasnt impressed with the IQ, so i bought an E-510,E-520, 2x 14-40,40-150,35 macro and 70-300 ,extra cards UV filters ect,ect for under 900.00 USD and coudnt be happier!!!
And frankly, I couldn't be happier for you as I had the same level of enthusiasm when I first started out with an Olympus digital SLR as you do now. The only difference was that I started with the E-500, graduated to the E-510 and as my needs changed and I became interested in different facets of photography, I upgraded to the E-30.

There in lies the rub, as I delve into more challenging areas of photography such as birds in flight, low light landscape, as well as offering my work at Art Galleries the requirements change. No longer am I satisfied with images that are good but don't have that last ounce of detail, perhaps because the AF system just "didn't quite get it right" or the noise is just a bit too much work to resolve. Yes, I can take those landscape shots over again, but I may never be able to recapture the "light" or the serenity of a particular scene. The same is true for capturing images of birds in flight. There are situations that come up only after spending hours patiently following a particular bird as he feeds in a wildlife sanctuary, you have but a split second to catch the moment when he takes off and heads directly over your head, wings spread out, showing wonderful detail with the early morning light catching the feathers and illuminating them so clearly. You draw your camera up to your eye, quickly spin the barrel to get the correct focal length to fill the frame with the birds wings spread from left to right, feather the shutter release trying to get the subject fully into focus press the shutter release down firmly but with a steady pressure and.........nothing happens. The lens refuses to focus because the AF system SUCKS!!!

You'll get there soon enough.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:55 PM   #15

Think everyone is reading into oly's demise a bit soon. Panny and oly m4/3 offering goes after 2 different segments. The Oly pens are completely design for small and compact. Penny went 2 routes. The G and GH are aim at the would be entry level dslr buyer looking for even smaller. So it offers a built in evf. And the bodies are larger then the pens.

And the GF are the ones that competes with the pen's. And if you look at that segment. AF speed is pretty close, none are stellar in reality. Anyone that said the panny comes close to a dslr is really hyping the camera. They are both slow. And the oly is the more coveted body, while the GF1 big seller was the 20 1.7 not the GF1 body. The oly body preforms better in low light having almost a 2 stop advantage over the GF1 or GF2 in iso.

Panny is in a more challenging position with the G and GH bodies, and they compete against entry level dslr that are almost as small, especially the pentax and sony bodies.

Oly's design goes after bridge camera's and the GF bodies and megazooms.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 PM   #16

Quote:
I remember when I re-entered the SLR game from the old OM days. The E500/14-45/40-150 f3.5-4.5 all for around $600. What a deal for someone getting a start. Some of my favorite shots came from that original kit!!!

E500/40-150

I have the joy of owning some of the best that Olympus has ever produced. I think that what is the bitter pill. The 50 f2, 12-60, 50-200, f2 zooms, give way to f5.6 plastic zooms. Its the once great optical company afraid to compete in where it used to shine.

I'm glad they put the E-5 into production, and I'm still glad to have the pleasure of using some truely great optics.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:14 PM   #17

Quote:
I feel the same.
Last March I bought a FZ 35 for $ 430.00 . I took it back after 1 week.
I picked up a used E-520 with the 14-42 and 40-150 lense with 8 GB card for $ 380.00 CDN. Can't complain.
I have added a 70-300 and a 14-54 MK I lense

Still under $ 950.00 total investment.
Where can you get a better deal ?

Fred..
Attached Images

Last edited by FredS; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:20 PM   #18

Default From an Engineering perspective

I just joined this forum but I've been monitoring two others for some time, and this is a hot-topic over there as well. If Olympus quits making dslrs, all and sundry want to unload their gear and start buying Nikon, Canon or perhaps Sony or Pentax. I fail to grasp the logic of this course. If you have for example an E-3 with 25,000 shutter actuations on it. This will last at least until you put 150,000 shutter actuations regardless of whether Olympus makes any more dslrs; so why unload it?

As for me, I started back in 1979 with an Olympus Rangefinder, the 36RC. I used some digital point-and-shoots for awhile but started in dslrs with the E-520. I was a little concerned about the 50,000 shutter actuation life expectancy, if this was my only camera, so I bought an E-1 . . . without getting into my whole sordid story about dealing with sellers of E-1s on eBay I ended up with one really good E-1, one questionable one and gave two other E-1s to my son. But I now know a lot about the E-1. It is a superb camera. My best E-1 now has about 3,000 shutter actuations on it -- 147,000 to go, and I have a backup E-1 with 30,000 shutter actuations on it. I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of these E-1s, ever. They will continue to work just as they were designed to for probably longer than anyone on this forum will live, unless they are dropped, but they would have to be dropped really hard.

Servicing of Olympus dslrs is a theoretical problem. If they said they weren't going to service dslrs any longer that would be a legitimate reason for switching to another camera brand, but I don't believe that will happen. I had my number 2 E-1 serviced by Olympus.

I also have an E-500. I like what I heard about the Kodak color and think there is some truth to it. After using the E-1 the E-500's viewfinder was a disappointment, but I like it, usually. I won't be getting rid of it. It has about 2,500 actuations --47,500 to go.

I plan to buy a used E-3 at some point and probably an E-5 after the price drops. If Olympus quits making dslrs it will affect the price of these cameras, but it won't affect the way they work or their life expectancy.

Lenses are a consideration, but I don't hear the same worry about Olympus discontinuing their dslr lens-lines. I have the kit lenses, the 14-42mm & 40-150mm, the 18-180 & the 14-54. The only digital prime I have thus far is the 35mm. I also have a Sigma 18-125mm. I'll probably add the 50mm next.

The longevity of lenses worries me a bit more than the longevity of my cameras. Lenses aren't as durable as an E-1, even if they happen to be weather-sealed. Lenses can be scratched, abraded, can develop fungus and acquire internal dust. I haven't had the experience of returning a lens to Olympus for repair so I don't feel quite as sanguine about this prospect, but all my lenses will work on all my cameras which increases the lens-accessibility.

So none of the reasons for abandoning Olympus I have heard thus far strike me as logical from an engineering standpoint. The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you anticipate that none of your E-system cameras will do what you want in the future. Or, to put this another way, that some manufacturer is sure to improve the their dslr design so much that your present e-system dslr will be obsolete. It is difficult to phrase this issue in a way that makes sense because one of the arguments people use for predicting that Olympus will quit the dslr game is that they have taken the E-5 as far as a 4/3 dslr can go. And if that is true, no manufacturer will be able to take a 4/3 dslr further. Or if they do it the new advantages are inconceivable to anyone now worrying about the Olympus dslr demise.

Removing the "4/3" qualification, that some manufacturer might one day produce advantages that make the E-5 obsolete is a possibility. None of the marginal advantages that we read about in DPreview are in this category, e.g., better low-light capability. But something extremely dramatic is possible. But the E-5 will still be able to do what it was designed to do, and if you like it (or whatever E-system dslr you have) now you will like it then. It will continue to have value. It won't be like the OMs that depended upon film. The new development won't render digital photography obsolete. You will still be able to load your photos into your windows 7, 8, or 9 Operating System.

I could go on . . .
Historicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:30 PM   #19

Historicity - can't find fault with anything you've said. There is no reason for a current Oly user to panic and try to unload their equipment. None at all. BUT, the other side of the coin is: if a user is ready now to make a new purchase, it's tough to ignore this direction. Especially if the 'buyer' is like most people today - buy new gear out of desire not out of actual need. The type of buyer that buys a new body every 2 years or so because they want to and can afford it. It's like me with cars - as much as I'd like to be different, I find myself trading in my car and buying a new one every 3-4 years or so. It's just the way I am. Lots of people are like that with camera bodies - they see the latest and greatest and they want one. It isn't right or wrong, just the way a lot of people are. But, I see lenses holding their value for quite some time - even if DSLRs go out in Olympus land - so no need to unload them now - they'll sell just fine 2 years from now.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:07 PM   #20

Default Response go John G

John G,

You are correct in saying this is the way people are. I suppose my standard had more to do with logic. When we read what people say as the reason for selling their Olympus gear, they offer explanations that on the surface take the form of a logical syllogism: I am selling my Olympus gear because Olympus won't be making any more dslrs." In my previous note challenging the logic of that viewpoint. It isn't logical. If Olympus doesn't make anymore dslrs, that doesn't demand that you sell your Olympus gear. You are leaving something out.

If a person said something like what you did about buying a new car, namely that they want to be able to buy a new camera every couple of years simply because they are the sort of person that likes to do that, I might note (probably to myself) that I am not like that (I drive a 2002 Jeep), but I would not challenge the logic.

We don't need to be logical in making decisions about such matters. I'm not saying that. I'm observing that the tone of such comments on this forum and on the others I'm on implies that the writers think they are being logical.

Another thing, many writers talk about "upgrading." They sell their E-510 to by an E-520 in order to "upgrade." Later they sell their E-520 in order to "upgrade" to an E-620. In what respect are these sales and purchases "upgrades"? If we examine the specifications, there are indeed changes from model to model that Olympus would describe as "improvements," but do the people doing the upgrading make use of these improvements? If not then they are not really upgrading. Olympus may have upgraded, but they have not, at least not in any utilitarian sense.

Feeling quibbly,
Historicity is offline   Reply With Quote