Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:32 PM   #21

Hmmmm. I've thought about jumpping. I've thought hard about it.

I've got about 10k in Oly lenses. How much are they worth now..., two years from now....., five years from now? If I can wash out and get close to the original investment, would I be better off? Maybe!!!

The thing that keeps me in camp is I've priced the glass that accomplishes what I have now in other systems, and its much more money. Every time I run the numbers, I get more content for awhile.

All kidding aside, technology is pushing the tide. I'll use the E-5 at ISO2000 when I hesitated using a Kodak sensor Oly at ISO400. I can't tell what tomorrow brings. Will mirrorless technology really make the reflex camera obsolete any time soon?

Olympus has abandoned two mounts during the time I've been shooting with them. Do I want to invest in the third?? I'm not sold with the system (micro), the company (not anymore), and I jumped out of the micro system about as soon as I jumped in. They throw in the towel too quickly for my tastes.

I was close to the kit I was after. I wanted to sell the 35-100 to pick up the 150 f2, and I wanted to pick up the Leica 25 f1.4 to replace the only thing I miss about dropping the micro 4/3, the 20mm f1.7. Right now I don't want to invest another dime in anything Olympus.

Technology has passed Oly, and they aren't showing they are interseted in keeping up. I've played with top Nikon toys and there is no comparison. The E-5 will do what it does now for as long as there is a battery to power it. Its still a very good camera, but I'm thinking about moving on.

Not rational???? Call it as you see it I guess. Not everyone is in the same boat.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Hmmmm. I've thought about jumpping. I've thought hard about it.

I've got about 10k in Oly lenses. How much are they worth now..., two years from now....., five years from now? If I can wash out and get close to the original investment, would I be better off? Maybe!!!

The thing that keeps me in camp is I've priced the glass that accomplishes what I have now in other systems, and its much more money. Every time I run the numbers, I get more content for awhile.

All kidding aside, technology is pushing the tide. I'll use the E-5 at ISO2000 when I hesitated using a Kodak sensor Oly at ISO400. I can't tell what tomorrow brings. Will mirrorless technology really make the reflex camera obsolete any time soon?

Olympus has abandoned two mounts during the time I've been shooting with them. Do I want to invest in the third?? I'm not sold with the system (micro), the company (not anymore), and I jumped out of the micro system about as soon as I jumped in. They throw in the towel too quickly for my tastes.

I was close to the kit I was after. I wanted to sell the 35-100 to pick up the 150 f2, and I wanted to pick up the Leica 25 f1.4 to replace the only thing I miss about dropping the micro 4/3, the 20mm f1.7. Right now I don't want to invest another dime in anything Olympus.

Technology has passed Oly, and they aren't showing they are interseted in keeping up. I've played with top Nikon toys and there is no comparison. The E-5 will do what it does now for as long as there is a battery to power it. Its still a very good camera, but I'm thinking about moving on.

Not rational???? Call it as you see it I guess. Not everyone is in the same boat.
Amen. I'll hang onto the E-620 as long as it functions. When it dies (and I hope it's after I do!), I'm gone. I'll sell the lenses if I can and move on.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:51 AM   #23

Well Here is My Opinion

I have an E -520 with 4 lenses, and am happy with it.
14-42, 14-45 MK1 , 40-150, and 70-300
Thats all I need.
I am NOT a Pro or ever will be.
My E-520 has less than 1500 shutter acuations
I year of shooting. So It will last me over 10 years
if I take care of it and do not drop it.
If I can get a SUPER deal or a E-620 all the way to an E-5
Pick it up and use the E-520 as a back up.

Just my 2 cents

Fred..
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:59 AM   #24

Default Backtracking by Oly- more 4/3 coming

More 4/3 products coming after all; E-x, and E-xx. But no more E-xxx. The triple digits have been replaced by the Pen, but not the single and double digits. Olympus camera chief Watanabe just gave a recent interview this month in China. The Google translation link is here:
http://translate.google.com/translat...01727716.shtml

I also found reference to this in some internet searching that 4/3rumors also picked this interview. Per their site:
"Mr. Watanabe mentioned that Oly understands that consumers are waiting for large aperture M4/3 lenses, please look forward to this as Oly will bring out a few products that responds to this request. 43rumors note: The new bright lenses should be announced in late June.
2) There will be new Four Thirds product too. Both the single digit and double digit series will continue. The triple digit series has been officially replaced by the PEN cameras"

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-there-wi...-products-too/
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:52 AM   #25

I think you would have to be completely clueless to look at the slide below and believe your future was in mFT. For all the attention they gave mFT at the cost of SLR development, they plot some mysterious line that has mFT travelling out of sight, while seemingly ignoring that their share of it has actually decreased.

Meanwhile an entire community of SLR user languish not knowing wtf is happening with the format, bedazzled by the uncertainty these people have created, and singularly so unimpressed with Olympus's efforts in micro they would sooner buy Panasonic first. Just what is so difficult for them to work out here.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
Meanwhile an entire community of SLR user languish not knowing wtf is happening with the format, bedazzled by the uncertainty these people have created, and singularly so unimpressed with Olympus's efforts in micro they would sooner buy Panasonic first. Just what is so difficult for them to work out here.
heheheh... don't know about Panny but Pentax is looking good right about now!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:00 AM   #27

Pentax would be great if they ever figured out how to make a zoom lens
If it weren't for the acquisition of the Sony sensor they still have the mediocre brand recognition they truly deserve. Still when you think about what a basket case this brand was just 2 yrs ago, they done an amazing job. Theres a lesson there....
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:42 AM   #28

Olympus in the past has often been shrouded in secrecy or even deliberate misinformation about future product. I think it important to note the timeline and the persons quoted. In March, 2011 a European Oly official hints that 4/3 is dead, but then in April, 2011 the head of Olympus cameras himself states not only is 4/3 not dead, but that would would see not only an E-5 successor, but also an E-30 successor.

Either the response to the guy from Europe was more than anticipated, or it was wrong to begin with. Either way, when the head honcho decides to set the record straight, you have to wonder if the European guy still has a job. LOL.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:56 AM   #29

except that ex Mr. Watanabe is the ex head honcho, Tsuyoshi Kikukawa is the new President, Chairman and Cheif XO. He appointed Woodford as President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company, effective April 1, 2011 (nice date). And he has been joined by another European Mark Gumz the new XO

Last edited by Rriley; Apr 30, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:38 PM   #30

Interesting group of messages. Hopefully everyone'll stick around. I plan too. Too invested, what I have I really, really like and could well last longer than me. I'm even sending my E1 in after returning from my next photo trip at the end of May to have it serviced and all the seals and grip material replaced. Between my E5, E1, E30, lenses and other stuff, I'm feelin' pretty satisfied with where my outfit sits right now. Don't even want to think what it'd cost rolling into something else that'd be equivalent to what I have now.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote