Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rriley View Post
except that ex Mr. Watanabe is the ex head honcho, Tsuyoshi Kikukawa is the new President, Chairman and Cheif XO. He appointed Woodford as President and Chief Operating Officer of the Company, effective April 1, 2011 (nice date). And he has been joined by another European Mark Gumz the new XO
Yes, those are the officers of Olympus Corporation, but the camera head is still Wanatabe. He is still one of the Managing Officers and also leads Oly America divisions. I doubt that a person of his rank would be less believable than some European market person. I would certainly put more importance on His April 11 comments than the March remarks by the other guy. However, none of us know what discussions are taking place at the corporate offices.

The current Officer lineup is found on the Olympus Corporate global website, where as a publicly traded corporation, they must report and keep updated their current executives.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/profile/officer/

Director, Executive Managing OfficerTakashi Tsukaya, Kazuhiro Wanatabe
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:09 PM   #32

Its an interesting discussion, I guess.

I don't think there is another SLR design. I made that guess at the intro of the E-5, as they couldn't say if it was the last one or not. It was dependent on if the Pen could reach a threshold of performance they said. Lets be straight. If you cannot say if there is another in the pipeline, that means that R&D funds are already cut. If the funds are cut and your company is already loosing the battle of technology while it was funded, I doubt that fire will be fed again. I believe it is over for Oly DSLRs.

Right now Olympus seems to be a company without direction. The reason there are differing stories from lower level employees is because there is no coherent direction from the top. I don't think Olympus knows what it wants to happen other than hopeing that current product sells without investing more funds. There is no road map for lenses. There is no excitment in the company anymore. Even the release of the Pen bodies seems to lack direction, feeding to the entry level, body after body.

There have been two Pen lenses that didn't limit the brightness at f5.6 at the bright side. One of two was a f2.8 pancake, the other was as dim as f6.7 at the long end. Comitted to the format????

Panasonic stands in stark contrast. There are five lenses already released that are brighter than f5.6, two brighter pancakes than Olympus' offering, a macro, the 7-14 is much wider, the fisheye exists.

For me, I am quite certain they are out of the DSLR end, though haven't had the nerve to say so. Part of me wonders it they are quickly working themselves out of the camera market all together by drying up the development money.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 1:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Yes, those are the officers of Olympus Corporation, but the camera head is still Wanatabe. He is still one of the Managing Officers and also leads Oly America divisions. I doubt that a person of his rank would be less believable than some European market person. I would certainly put more importance on His April 11 comments than the March remarks by the other guy. However, none of us know what discussions are taking place at the corporate offices.

The current Officer lineup is found on the Olympus Corporate global website, where as a publicly traded corporation, they must report and keep updated their current executives.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/profile/officer/

Director, Executive Managing OfficerTakashi Tsukaya, Kazuhiro Wanatabe
depends what you look at, this is from the markets where officers MUST be listed
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...=C4-Officers-5

and where the story broke for us, he's described as ex ....
http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-there-wi...-products-too/

and the original
http://translate.google.com/translat...01727716.shtml

I think they moved him out
in any event, he seems to be saying there could be an E50, and its not over for lenses. This is an admission that mFT development isnt getting anywhere for fast AF. Personally if they sell 70% of the E5 stock they would be well tempted to re-run E30 with an E5 sensor. Theyre idiots if they ditch on 4/3rds lens suite and development, its money on the table for the taking. What they need to do is cover what was wrong with 4/3rds in the firstplace, best discussed in another thread. IMO its fixable, but it does have problems, #1 being uncertainty...

Last edited by Rriley; Apr 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:08 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Rriley;1222650]depends what you look at, this is from the markets where officers MUST be listed

Yep, if you look at your link to where the officers must be listed, as of today your reference site still shows him as a managing executive officer and a director.
"Watanabe, Kazuhiro572009Managing Executive Officer, Director"

I suppose like other things concerning Olympus, they have always been one to keep their future strategy close to the vest. In this case, it may be because of indecision as to what their strategy will be.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:57 PM   #35

From my perspective, I think John G. expressed my frustrations best. It is simply hard for me to invest 1700.00 upgrading to an E5 when it's clear to me that this will be the last fourthirds camera. As I've mentioned on numerous occassions, the lenses that I currently own are great, they are keeping me from jumping ship-for now.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:47 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Steven R;1222670]
Quote:
depends what you look at, this is from the markets where officers MUST be listed

Yep, if you look at your link to where the officers must be listed, as of today your reference site still shows him as a managing executive officer and a director.
"Watanabe, Kazuhiro572009Managing Executive Officer, Director"

I suppose like other things concerning Olympus, they have always been one to keep their future strategy close to the vest. In this case, it may be because of indecision as to what their strategy will be.
oh shoot, youre right
I forgot about them putting names backwards...
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 1:06 PM   #37

[QUOTE=Rriley;1222742]
Quote:

oh shoot, youre right
I forgot about them putting names backwards...
For whatever reason, we have completely different stories from Oly officials. I know that isn't the first time, but it still makes everyone skeptical over what to believe. I also think that the world wide economic slowdown may have impacted everyones future strategy.

For me, Oly is like a Corvette Z-06 compared to a Ferrari. While it may be cheaper, the Corvette equals or exceeds the performance of European cars costing twice as much. I pick up a Canikon with a tele lens, and then think that there is no way that I could walk around Disney World or Busch Gardens lugging that thing around all day. Personally I'm thinking of an E-30 as my preferred next camera, even if it is used.

(Maybe I can persuade Zig to come down here for a week on a photo safari, and I could swap him lodging for his E-30. LOL)
Old May 1, 2011, 1:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Maybe I can persuade Zig to come down here for a week on a photo safari, and I could swap him lodging for his E-30. LOL)
I thnk he's holding out for a place like that one with the large swimming pool belonging to a friend of his, that he posted before. I don't think that he will consider gators running around your back yard to be an equivalent.

Now you might say he should consider the tremendous photo ops of that, but sadly I think he's just gonna say that he's only interested in BIFs. So you're gonna have to get him interested in the concept of having direct, immediate interactions with his photo subjects.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 6:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I thnk he's holding out for a place like that one with the large swimming pool belonging to a friend of his, that he posted before. I don't think that he will consider gators running around your back yard to be an equivalent.

Now you might say he should consider the tremendous photo ops of that, but sadly I think he's just gonna say that he's only interested in BIFs. So you're gonna have to get him interested in the concept of having direct, immediate interactions with his photo subjects.

Ted
You are probably right Ted.

But I have to tell you that I felt sorry for him having to stay in that house, where the hosts couldn't even afford to screen in their swimming pool. (Here in Florida, that is an open invitation to share your pool with stray alligators, not to mention the mosquito's. LOL )

However, my subdivision is also a nature preserve and we've got a lot of birds. You're welcome to come down anytime, and then you can tell Zig what he missed. Between the zoo, aquarium, Busch Gardens, and Disney there is plenty to photograph.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:18 PM   #40

[QUOTE=Steven R;1222850]
Quote:

(Maybe I can persuade Zig to come down here for a week on a photo safari, and I could swap him lodging for his E-30. LOL)
Hi Steven,

You wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard all to have me agree to go down
to your neck of the woods and spend a few days on photo safari. My only stipulation would be that the trip would take place sometime between the 1st and last day in November.

But, I do have to point out that selling the E-30 anytime soon is a non starter.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote