Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2011, 8:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I love watching this game. I wish it were on television here more often. The intimacy of the local park upposed to the big stadium makes it a lot easier to get in close and you captured some very nice action here.
Gregg,

More interested, please visit Melbourne and I can take you Have it live than in TV. Also any one from OLY DSLR forum visiting short stay in Melbourne please drop me a note, my second bedroom of my apartment can be spared thereby removing your stay expense
Old May 1, 2011, 9:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi PS,

As has already been mentioned, this is much improved over the 1st set. Nothing like having a little bit of freedom to move around the field, unrestricted with the ability to pick a position. You certainly took advantage of the opportunity.

As far as suggestions go;

Ken, mentioned getting rid of distracting backgrounds. You did a good job of that in #6, 7, and 8 by cropping the images closer to fill the frame with the just the player or players integral to the shot. Continue to do that by positioning yourself closer- if you can- as well as take advantage of the added focal length of the 50-200mm. If you can, get an EC-14 of an EC20 that would help.

You also did a good job of keeping the Sun behind you and not the players. Some of the players, though are blown out or too exposed. In bright, harsh Sun, you might try underexposing by .03.

All in all, a vastly improved set of images.

Zig
Hi Zig,

I am saving some money for EC-20. Maybe next month.

EC-20 starts from 450 Aud.
EC-14 starts from 400 Aud.

Do you guys think its worth it to go with EC-20 or EC-14 itself especially when i have a OLY E-620 & 50-200, does any combination make a sense or...

Peru.
Old May 2, 2011, 5:10 PM   #13

Hi Zig,

Thanks for the comments. I could afford EC-14 immediate, but not EC-20. Is it worth it for me to wait for a little bit more time and save some money for EC-20? Is there any combination of EC-14 or EC-20 works well with 50-200 & E-620?

Any combinations on the camera, lens & Teleconverter works well?

Peru.

Peru.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by peru_shyam View Post
Hi Zig,

Thanks for the comments. I could afford EC-14 immediate, but not EC-20. Is it worth it for me to wait for a little bit more time and save some money for EC-20? Is there any combination of EC-14 or EC-20 works well with 50-200 & E-620?

Any combinations on the camera, lens & Teleconverter works well?

Peru.

Peru.
Hi Peru,

The EC14+50-200mm combo is a great solution for getting added focal length. It would also provide a sharper image with slightly less noise than the EC20 + 50-200mm lens combination. At least, that's been my experience.

Another point, the EC14 would be one stop faster than the EC20.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 7:08 PM   #15

Go with Zig's suggestion about the EC14. The EC20 is living on the edge with the 50-200. It can be an excellent combination and it can also be very frustrating if you push it. The
EC14 is going to probably be more consistent.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 12:05 PM   #16

Hi Peru,

You did a great job with your camera freezing the subjects and exposing it.

Thank you for posting.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 12:55 PM   #17

As others have said, you've made progress since your first effort. You're doing very well. Here is some specific feedback to help you improve even more:

General:
  • exif data has been stripped. If you can, leave the exif intact. It will help people analyzing your shots to determine what might be causing some issues.
  • Too much contrast style sharpening here - the images have a very over-processed look to them.
Now on to specific feedback:
shot 1: Nice type of shot. However, there are several components which can be improved upon: first, get lower - looks like you were standing. Shoot from a kneeling or sitting position. Second, the background is very distracting - a lot of dead space and cars/buildings are very distracting. A big part of good sports shooting involves planning your shot selection with the background in mind. You want to shoot from positions and angles that minimize the distracting background elements. Additionally the shot is underexposed - the important part of a sports image like this to expose properly is the face - so you want the face exposed properly - it's what the viewer is attracted to.

shot 2: This type of shot is often referred to as a sportrait (portrait shot of a sports player - no action). They're great to have. The biggest issue with this shot is the player's face isn't sharp. The writing on the ball is sharper. It's the sharpness in the face that is critical. Additionally, the framing is a bit odd - too much dead space in front or behind. The space behind is particularly distracting. How much was this shot cropped? What was the shutter speed? The softness in the face seems odd given the great depth-of-field involved here (look how much of the grass is in focus).

shot 3: Very nice action. However the biggest problem is: no faces. That's a tough thing to get used to when shooting sports like this. Faces are very important. So, try to focus on grabbing shots when you can see faces. THis is similar to the issue of capturing action too far away. So, not only do you have to wait for the action to be within range you also have to wait for action where you can see faces. How much was this shot cropped? There's a lot of detail lost on this shot - usually resulting from overcropping.. Also, the shot is a bit crooked. You can easily fix that when you crop the photo - look for vertical elements in the background to help you fix crooked photos. Finally again a lot of dead space to the left and right. Which brings us to a very important point - in the vast majority of action shots for this type of sport, there are usually more vertical elements than horizontal. I suggest next time out, practice more with camera in portrait orientation - this will eliminate a lot of the dead space issues.

shot 4: very cute. Excellent that you got down on her level to take the shot.

shot 5: nice action. Again a photo that should be taken in portrait orientation to get rid of the dead space. Also faces are undererxposed.

shot 6: best shot here - nice action, great framing and good detail. This is a good illustration though of where the over-contrast processing hurts the image. Tone down whatever you're doing to add that contrast and this great image will be even better.

shot 7: great action but completely wrong angle. you don't get either face that is important - the players to the right aren't involved in the play so they're not important. Again - a lot of dead space here and distracting background elements. Portrait orientation improves this shot - but realistically you need a different angle so you get some faces in the frame (either one of the two key participants as it would require a lot of luck to get both)

shot 8: nice action and timing. Shot is crooked but easily fixed.. Reduce the contrast and you have another keeper.

shot 9: looks overcropped - too little detail and exposure on face is blown. But nice action.

shot 10: too overcropped.Background is too distracting

Again, very nice improvement over your prior effort. I hope you take this input in the spirit in which it is intended. It's nice to hear "great shots" but that doesn't help you get better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 1:13 AM   #18

G'day PS

Like others above - well done, backgrounds are difficult to overcome but it comes with the territory .... "vote with your feet" being a common thought
Your images are close to many of mine - sharpness, exposure, background [damn background!!!!] and so on, so I reckon you've done okay

Keep it up and keep posting :-)
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 9:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
As others have said, you've made progress since your first effort. You're doing very well. Here is some specific feedback to help you improve even more:

General:
  • exif data has been stripped. If you can, leave the exif intact. It will help people analyzing your shots to determine what might be causing some issues.
  • Too much contrast style sharpening here - the images have a very over-processed look to them.
Now on to specific feedback:
shot 1: Nice type of shot. However, there are several components which can be improved upon: first, get lower - looks like you were standing. Shoot from a kneeling or sitting position. Second, the background is very distracting - a lot of dead space and cars/buildings are very distracting. A big part of good sports shooting involves planning your shot selection with the background in mind. You want to shoot from positions and angles that minimize the distracting background elements. Additionally the shot is underexposed - the important part of a sports image like this to expose properly is the face - so you want the face exposed properly - it's what the viewer is attracted to.

shot 2: This type of shot is often referred to as a sportrait (portrait shot of a sports player - no action). They're great to have. The biggest issue with this shot is the player's face isn't sharp. The writing on the ball is sharper. It's the sharpness in the face that is critical. Additionally, the framing is a bit odd - too much dead space in front or behind. The space behind is particularly distracting. How much was this shot cropped? What was the shutter speed? The softness in the face seems odd given the great depth-of-field involved here (look how much of the grass is in focus).

shot 3: Very nice action. However the biggest problem is: no faces. That's a tough thing to get used to when shooting sports like this. Faces are very important. So, try to focus on grabbing shots when you can see faces. THis is similar to the issue of capturing action too far away. So, not only do you have to wait for the action to be within range you also have to wait for action where you can see faces. How much was this shot cropped? There's a lot of detail lost on this shot - usually resulting from overcropping.. Also, the shot is a bit crooked. You can easily fix that when you crop the photo - look for vertical elements in the background to help you fix crooked photos. Finally again a lot of dead space to the left and right. Which brings us to a very important point - in the vast majority of action shots for this type of sport, there are usually more vertical elements than horizontal. I suggest next time out, practice more with camera in portrait orientation - this will eliminate a lot of the dead space issues.

shot 4: very cute. Excellent that you got down on her level to take the shot.

shot 5: nice action. Again a photo that should be taken in portrait orientation to get rid of the dead space. Also faces are undererxposed.

shot 6: best shot here - nice action, great framing and good detail. This is a good illustration though of where the over-contrast processing hurts the image. Tone down whatever you're doing to add that contrast and this great image will be even better.

shot 7: great action but completely wrong angle. you don't get either face that is important - the players to the right aren't involved in the play so they're not important. Again - a lot of dead space here and distracting background elements. Portrait orientation improves this shot - but realistically you need a different angle so you get some faces in the frame (either one of the two key participants as it would require a lot of luck to get both)

shot 8: nice action and timing. Shot is crooked but easily fixed.. Reduce the contrast and you have another keeper.

shot 9: looks overcropped - too little detail and exposure on face is blown. But nice action.

shot 10: too overcropped.Background is too distracting

Again, very nice improvement over your prior effort. I hope you take this input in the spirit in which it is intended. It's nice to hear "great shots" but that doesn't help you get better.
Hi John,

Thanks for the valuable comments and time for teaching me things.

General:

Exif data stripped - I figured out why the exif data was stripped. It was photoshop and some one taught me to save for web which removes the exif, From now on i am going to use save as jpg which will preserve Exif data.

Too much contrast or Sharpening - I try to use the following method on photoshop. Create a duplicate layer, Create a filter with high pass with 8.5 value, Create a Overlay and set 80-90 value on overlay leaving the fill to 100. This might have caused this and i will have to work on post processing more and learn the techniques on them as well. Also I believe the contrast in my camera were set to +1. I will try to correct those.

Shot1:
Getting lower: I will do it from next time.
Background is very distracting. I completly agree with you. I just had shot this with 50-200 SWD without and Teleconverter. So When this image was taken I might have been at 200mm and my fstop could have been at 5/6/7 and hence i think the backgrounds are more distracting. Is there a good technique for that without tele-converters?

Shot2:
I didnt even know what is sportrait when i shot this. But anyway now its being said, I will try to learn on it more.

Shot3:
I agree with you that the action is great but no faces, you know what, Players ditched me and they never had to play facing me at all most of the time But after two half's i had given up my patience and started shooting even if the faces are not visible.

Shot4:
Its not my shot which is cute, its that cutie who is cute.

Shot5:
It should have been portrait. I agree, Else I should have cropped atleast. Also I dont have any tele converters yet, which could let me a bit closer to action.

Shot 6:
I will stop down my contrast, I think i had it +1. and Photoshop added a bit more as well. I will watch that

Shot 7:
Its the same comments as shot 3. Pleayers were not happy in me shooting them, unfortunate that i have to be on a place where there was not enough goal kicked except 4.

Shot 8:
Contrast should be reduced. I have noted this point and i believe when its sunny i an going to slow down my contrast to -1.

Shot 9,10:
Drama of contrast. I will try to get more shots and play with it. I will practise and get more helping hands from you guys.

John,
I have always got helping hands in this forum and I definately understand that your input was to improve my skills than anything else. Also I understand others are encouraging me in getting up to speed and a pat on back.

Thanks for all help and comments.