Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Default One of my favorite cities

is Chicago.

This is a view of the Chicago skyline. Yes it's been done a thousand times before but this was the best I could do with the crappy weather we've had on the east half of the US for the last few months (but better than the southest US - no tornados here).

The tall black building on the left is the Willis Tower, more well known by its previous name - the Sears Tower. It was the the tallest building in the western hemisphere before the 911 attack and sadly, has now regained its title.

This is the Chicago River that runs through the center downtown of the city and is dyed green on Saint Patrick's Day, an amazing celebration that is best experienced if you wear clothes you don't mind throwing away at the end of the evening (I'm not making this up ).

The two "corn cob" buildings on the right comprise Marina City, designed in 1959. Chicago always led NYC in modern architecture (athough NYC residents cannot comprehend that) - the members of the Bauhaus movement that started modern architecture moved from Nazi Germany to Chicago just before that start of WWII.

Marina City was the first urban post-war high-rise residential complex in the United States and is widely credited with beginning the residential renaissance of American inner cities. Its model of mixed residential and office uses and high-rise towers with a base of parking has become a primary model for urban development in the United States. Marina City construction employed the first tower crane used in the United States.

I have a personal reason for posting this photo. Chicago has a passenger train system from the city to the suburbs, that dates from the late 1800's. The train stations are on the other side of the river from the downtown area for obvious reasons, so to get home from downtown on the train you have to walk across one of the bridges across the Chicago River.

One day many years ago I was walking across the bridge to get to the train station and a large motor yacht was approaching the bridge. The rich owner who was driving it had a topless blonde babe on his right and a topless brunette babe on his left. The babes were enthusiastically waving to us guys walking across the bridge, which got our attention . The driver/owner just looked up at us with a faint grin which said, "Eat your hearts out."

And god help us, all of us were doing exactly that.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2

Great shots in lousy lighting conditions Ted. And as usual, your narratives make everything better.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 1:10 PM   #3

Thanks, Steven

For some odd reason the image of that yacht is one I remember very well...

Ted
Old May 1, 2011, 2:11 PM   #4

Considering the crappy weather we've been having, these are quite good, Ted. The narrative more than compensates for anything the weather may have dampened (pun intended) in IQ.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 2:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks, Steven

For some odd reason the image of that yacht is one I remember very well...

Ted
Too bad that was before the days of cell phones with good built in cameras, or you could have shared that image with us!!
Old May 1, 2011, 2:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Too bad that was before the days of cell phones with good built in cameras, or you could have shared that image with us!!
Even back then I suspect I would have needed IS to keep the image from being blurred, if you catch my drift...

Ted
Old May 1, 2011, 2:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Even back then I suspect I would have needed IS to keep the image from being blurred, if you catch my drift...

Ted
ROTFL. Good one!