Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 1, 2011, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Some random images from NYC

Had an opportunity to visit friends in Manhattan over the weekend. New York is just a super place to visit in the Spring. So many things to see, places to go, and there are photo opps all around you.

Here are a few random shots with the E-30 and either the 12-60mm SWD or the 50-200mm Ed lens.:

These first two were a surprise as they show a 44ft sculpture of Echo. The sculpture is the creation of Jaume Pensa and is on display from May to August at the Madison Sq Park near the Flatiron Building.

The next 2 are of the Bow bridge in Central Park:

The next 3 are of a water fountain sculpture of 3 girls dancing. Located at the Tulip Gardens

John Lennon's memorial 'imagine'

And a sculpture found yesterday morning at Riverside Drive near Columbia University:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 10:02 PM   #2

A few more images from the weekend;

Haupt conservancy at the Botanical Gardens:
a beautiful place to go and explore a tropical rain forest complete with all types of very unusual orchids

The Flatiron building:

A scene from Central Park:

Tulip from the Tulip Gardens of Central Park

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3

I like ... All of them. Also, I find funny to see all those shots without many people on them! You always think at NYC as a very busy place.

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4

What a cool place to get to go do some photography. Those first two images look like an optical illusion. Too many places to shoot, too little time, but you hit some nice ones. The Flatiron Building is just iconic.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 12:32 AM   #5

Water reflections are used to the core. I love reflections, you have captured them as best as possible.
Old May 2, 2011, 5:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
I like ... All of them. Also, I find funny to see all those shots without many people on them! You always think at NYC as a very busy place.
These photos in Central Park were taken Sunday morning at 6:300am and already there were thousands of people there. Most all were there to participate in a bike race or be a spectator. These few shots were the result of waiting for passers by to pass, or just plain luck. The day before we went to the Park around an hour later and couldn't get one scene shot without a mass of humanity included in the frame.

Zig

Old May 2, 2011, 5:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
What a cool place to get to go do some photography. Those first two images look like an optical illusion. Too many places to shoot, too little time, but you hit some nice ones. The Flatiron Building is just iconic.
Greg, You're right, NYC is just a photographers dream. You would go nuts there.

A quick aside, I've always wanted to go to B&H Photo while in New York. On Friday morning we went to the store when it opened at 9:am. There were already about 50 people waiting for the place to open.

Inside the place is incredible. I've never been to a camera store that has a counter similar to a check in counter at an airport with about 50 customer service reps. You get in line and wait for the next available rep. You can ask him anything you want to see. He can get it for you to examine, ask questions, etc. He'll write the order in the computer, you then go to anyone of about 40 registers to pay and your camera is waiting for you at a conveyor pick up station.

Just don't go to their trade in department, as I did and ask to see what your camera is worth.

Zig

Old May 2, 2011, 7:49 AM   #8

A great series Zig, every shot is enjoyable to see. Really outstanding on the bow bridge.

(Yep, I agree about the B&H store. Been to it once several years ago, and it was as busy as you described.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 8:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Inside the place is incredible. I've never been to a camera store that has a counter similar to a check in counter at an airport with about 50 customer service reps. You get in line and wait for the next available rep. You can ask him anything you want to see. He can get it for you to examine, ask questions, etc. He'll write the order in the computer, you then go to anyone of about 40 registers to pay and your camera is waiting for you at a conveyor pick up station.

Just don't go to their trade in department, as I did and ask to see what your camera is worth.

Zig
Yeah, selling to B&H, you/we are the wholeseller, so figure what the camera's worth second-hand and dividing that number by two is probably close to what they'll tell you. I have priced my bodies through KEH's website at one time when I was thinking about unloading some equipment, and an EX+ codition E30 was quoted around $330 if I remember correctly.

I would love to go see that store. Lord knows I've bought enough from them. Just Saturday night I ordered some leg covers for my tripod and the E5 cable release E5 from B&H.

I would imagine their used area is quite amazing. Not too long ago they had a second-hand Canon 1200mm f5.6L in-stock for $100,000 and the ad included a video demonstration where two employees were standing on a roof-top with the lens mounted on a tripod-mounted DSLR and shot a tug boat WAY down the river and the boat filled the frame.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011, 8:54 AM   #10

I love the bridge shot Zig. I would love to go to B&H sometime, that had to be fun.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote