Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 12, 2011, 7:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Someone on another forum found the post in the last one to be "a pity the post was such a distraction". It really bothers me when folks phrase their critiques in a way that implies the entire photo is unusable. Personally, *I* don't find it pitiful. Just a distraction. In any event...
I find a lot of folks on this & other forums just want to criticize for no constructive reason & probably don't have a clue anyway. Taking off from the post is part of the "story".
Old May 12, 2011, 8:19 AM   #12

Gary,

Some folks just have a post up their butt and feel the need to vent.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 9:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
I find a lot of folks on this & other forums just want to criticize for no constructive reason & probably don't have a clue anyway. Taking off from the post is part of the "story".
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Gary,

Some folks just have a post up their butt and feel the need to vent.
I agree. This person only displayed 3 images out of 545 posts made and, while they were fair-to-good, they were nothing to write home about. Trust me, I vented back... tactfully, but vented, nonetheless.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 9:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Someone on another forum found the post in the last one to be "a pity the post was such a distraction". It really bothers me when folks phrase their critiques in a way that implies the entire photo is unusable. Personally, *I* don't find it pitiful. Just a distraction. In any event...
I totally disagree with the other person who found the post a distraction.

For anyone who understands anything about the flight characteristics, when you delete the post from the photo, then there is no logical reference as to why the hawks legs are hanging half-way between retracted for flight, or extended for landing.

When you had the post included, then it looks natural that the hawk has just took off, and is now retracting his legs for flight. I vote to bring back the wooden fence post!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #15

Jeeez I can't believe I'm agreeing with Steven.

But I agree that without the post the photo has no context - it's just the north end of a southbound hawk (so to speak).

But Gary, what you experienced is why I almost never post a photo on any forum but this one. (Even yours - it's hard to break into that closed group.)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Jeeez I can't believe I'm agreeing with Steven.

But I agree that without the post the photo has no context - it's just the north end of a southbound hawk (so to speak).

But Gary, what you experienced is why I almost never post a photo on any forum but this one. (Even yours - it's hard to break into that closed group.)

Ted
I hear ya, Ted. When I experience that sort of thing en masse (more than 2-3), I move on because it's clear I'm not welcomed on the forum. Same thing with zero comments out of a lot of views. It's clear I am not welcome to share. So... I move on. Needless to say, I've left a LOT of forums but the ones I currently post on are very welcoming and open (obviously, this is one) without a lot of sniping and blood-letting. I only post on 5 but one is about to get chopped from the list.
My Gallery

--
Old May 12, 2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Your bird post is fine, even if it is from Kentucky : )
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 6:05 AM   #18

Default What is this forum all about?

Quote:
Same thing with zero comments out of a lot of views. It's clear I am not welcome to share.
Well that's a somewhat different issue, which also comes up from time to time in the Oly forum at DPR.

Most photo forum web sites, including Steve's and DPR, have specific forums for posting photos (Steve's has 18 of them). The camera-specific forums like this Oly DSLR, were intended to be gear related. Take a look at the Panasonic 43 forum here - when photos are posted they are usually related to a question or observation about the gear. There has been a tacit agreement in this forum that folks would post photos just because they are good photos. That's fine, but let's be clear that that wasn't, and shouldn't be, a requirement for participation.

We have people here who are masters of specific types of photography such as birds, racehorses, sports, roses, flowers, reptiles, even gators . When they post another set of excellent photos, personally I truly enjoy seeing them but I feel a little strange saying, over and over again, "Another great set of photos". So I only tend to respond if one is unusually great, or if the poster asks a question.

And I know I'm not in the minority here. Most posts of photos here get 100+ views and only a few responses. A lot of folks have different ideas about what participation means. So just because you don't get a lot of responses to a post of your photos, doesn't mean they aren't welcome.

Ted

Edit: I also would note that my personal favorites are landscape and architecture photography, and I tend to respond to all of those posts. Unfortunately, very few folks other than Zig and Angie post landscape photos, and only Harj and Greg C post architecture. As an analogy, I don't personally drink beer - it's not my beverage of choice. So although I can appreciate a discussion about the finer points of brewing, it doesn't really get my enthusiasm.

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 13, 2011 at 6:17 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 6:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Well that's a somewhat different issue, which also comes up from time to time in the Oly forum at DPR.

Most photo forum web sites, including Steve's and DPR, have specific forums for posting photos (Steve's has 18 of them). The camera-specific forums like this Oly DSLR, were intended to be gear related. Take a look at the Panasonic 43 forum here - when photos are posted they are usually related to a question or observation about the gear. There has been a tacit agreement in this forum that folks would post photos just because they are good photos. That's fine, but let's be clear that that wasn't, and shouldn't be, a requirement for participation.

We have people here who are masters of specific types of photography such as birds, racehorses, sports, roses, flowers, reptiles, even gators . When they post another set of excellent photos, personally I truly enjoy seeing them but I feel a little strange saying, over and over again, "Another great set of photos". So I only tend to respond if one is unusually great, or if the poster asks a question.

And I know I'm not in the minority here. Most posts of photos here get 100+ views and only a few responses. A lot of folks have different ideas about what participation means. So just because you don't get a lot of responses to a post of your photos, doesn't mean they aren't welcome.

Ted

Edit: I also would note that my personal favorites are landscape and architecture photography, and I tend to respond to all of those posts. Unfortunately, very few folks other than Zig and Angie post landscape photos, and only Harj and Greg C post architecture. As an analogy, I don't personally drink beer - it's not my beverage of choice. So although I can appreciate a discussion about the finer points of brewing, it doesn't really get my enthusiasm.
Funny, but the reason I post mainly in this forum is because this is where I get the most responses. If/when I post in, say, the wildlife forum or macro forum, generally - not always - I get absolutely no response one way or another but LOTS of views. Same with the Fujifilm forum where I post a lot because I get at least a few comments which is more than I get elsewhere. I know the purposes of the camera-specific forums is to discuss technical details. But, when I get no/sparse response from anyone in the genre-specific forums, it doesn't make sense to even make a post there. And, oddly enough, at another site I post frequently, it's exactly the opposite. The camera-specific forums are relatively dead and the genre-specific is where it's happening. Go figure.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; May 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Funny, but the reason I post mainly in this forum is because this is where I get the most responses. If/when I post in, say, the wildlife forum or macro forum, generally - not always - I get absolutely no response one way or another but LOTS of views. Same with the Fujifilm forum where I post a lot because I get at least a few comments which is more than I get elsewhere. I know the purposes of the camera-specific forums is to discuss technical details. But, when I get no/sparse response from anyone in the genre-specific forums, it doesn't make sense to even make a post there. And, oddly enough, at another site I post frequently, it's exactly the opposite. The camera-specific forums are relatively dead and the genre-specific is where it's happening. Go figure.
Interesting. I go to the "new post" link and look for photo postings that get my interest. I usually like the posts that pose a question as well or that have an intriguing title because I can almost always learn something from the answers or there will be something truly unique in the post. What attracted me to this post was the fact that I enjoy pictures of raptors. I didn't even notice that these photos were in the Oly forum until I saw it mentioned above. Similar to Ted, I often see photos that are good, but I don't have anything to add, so I don't comment unless they are unusually good, or I have a question, etc. I usually only post photos when they don't turn out as I was expecting and I want feedback. Sometimes I'll post one that I think is exceptional (for me) based on the subject or the circumstance.