Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2011, 7:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
Sometimes I'll post one that I think is exceptional (for me) based on the subject or the circumstance.
Same here but sadly, exceptional for me isn't necessarily all that great...
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 7:37 AM   #22

I tend to post pictures where I'm more familar with the people and the equipment. It's an oly dslr forum so I post my oly dslr pics. It's a great place to learn a few things and share what you're doing at the same time. The people on this forum are respectful and helpful, it's fun to share whatever you're into with people because it quite often draws a response or question and then a discussion from those who have been there done it with the same equipment.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 7:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Funny, but the reason I post mainly in this forum is because this is where I get the most responses. If/when I post in, say, the wildlife forum or macro forum, generally - not always - I get absolutely no response one way or another but LOTS of views. Same with the Fujifilm forum where I post a lot because I get at least a few comments which is more than I get elsewhere. I know the purposes of the camera-specific forums is to discuss technical details. But, when I get no/sparse response from anyone in the genre-specific forums, it doesn't make sense to even make a post there. And, oddly enough, at another site I post frequently, it's exactly the opposite. The camera-specific forums are relatively dead and the genre-specific is where it's happening. Go figure.
Please understand that I'm not complaining. Like our moderator Dustin, I think whatever works best for the majority is fine with me. And in thinking about this I realize that when I enjoy a set of photos I can at least say so. I suppose I'm somewhat frustrated with such limited time to go out and shoot.

Ted
Old May 13, 2011, 7:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
heheheh Ted, I've seen your images and you're selling yourself WAY short, my friend.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 7:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
I tend to post pictures where I'm more familar with the people and the equipment. It's an oly dslr forum so I post my oly dslr pics. It's a great place to learn a few things and share what you're doing at the same time. The people on this forum are respectful and helpful, it's fun to share whatever you're into with people because it quite often draws a response or question and then a discussion from those who have been there done it with the same equipment.
Eric
Yeah, this is a good group. There is at least one forum I visit, where posting a photo can be suicidal - Ansel Adams would be criticized...
Old May 13, 2011, 7:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Yeah, this is a good group. There is at least one forum I visit, where posting a photo can be suicidal - Ansel Adams would be criticized...
While I don't mind being critiqued, I won't stay where I'm constantly criticized. That shows a spirit of meanness and ill-manners.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 8:01 AM   #27

Yeah, especially with bird photos which are difficult at best. Even if someone posts one that's really good but probably wouldn't make the cover of NatGeo, I remember the old tale about the talking dog: the remarkable thing is not that it talks well, but that it talks at all.

Ted
Old May 13, 2011, 8:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Same for me, LOL. That's why I don't post often, especially when I see pics from people like Zig. They make my measly little attempts look ridiculous!
Old May 13, 2011, 9:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnan View Post
Same for me, LOL. That's why I don't post often, especially when I see pics from people like Zig. They make my measly little attempts look ridiculous!
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the high praise, but my heads already big enough as it is and there are many folks on this Oly forum as well as the other forums, here on Steve's who regularly post images that are far superior to any thing I do.

I certainly hope that my posting images is not intimidating to anyone and makes them anxious about posting their own for review, praise, critique or whatever.

I post because I think the image is interesting ( at least to me), or is a response to someones question, or it might prompt someone to ask a question as to how it was done.

The other reason is to help keep this forum alive, active and keep it from getting stagnant. There are a number of forums on this site that are so quiet that you wonder if anyone actually owns one of those cameras.

The good news, here at the Oly site, is that there is a fairly large core of regulars that keep the conversations lively, funny, informative and yes, even civil. I enjoy the sparring between Ted, Steven, and Scouse - I don't join in largely because I'm not good at it. But, I look forward to it everyday.

Anyways, my rambling is over.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Jerry,

...I certainly hope that my posting images is not intimidating to anyone and makes them anxious about posting their own for review, praise, critique or whatever...
It doesn't stop me from posting, but the praise was intentional. I think your stuff is outstanding. Unfortunately, the Canon forums don't seem to be very active and many of the folks there are a little more "high falutin" than this ignorant Texas boy likes.

Last edited by jdnan; May 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote