Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Default ....battery grip 'OWNUSER'

Greg (TX) got me interested, again, in getting a battery grip for my E-3. While perusing eBay with the iPAD one evening I ran across this grip accessory group.

There doesn't appear to be much history about it, has anyone seen or maybe owned it? This vendor posts sales at 5-items so it must be popular somewhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ownuser-Battery-...#ht_5135wt_907

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2

Hi Bob,

I can't comment on this particular brand as I've not used one. But I've often found used or refurbished ones at KEH.com as well as B&H photo.
Another place to look is fourthirdsphoto.com. their sell forum tends to have one or two of the OEM grips listed for sale quite often.

There is a fellow Texan from Austin that has one listed now.

I think you can guess, that I'm not terribly excited with getting a chinese unit.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3

...guessed that Zig, hihi and really me too.

This is the first I've seen of a non OEM grip, the IR (front & rear) is interesting and also the fit appears to be more flush to the camera than the HLD-4. This vendor has a very large store and includes some m4/3 items too.

Can you guess today I am a bit bored & home alone... where is Bonnie, well shopping of course but this time she drove herself for the first time in nearly the year since her heart attack.

So, I am shopping too via the MAC! ,,,,,,,, should grab a camera and go somewhere, maybe a nap, maybe wash the car.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 13, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4

I don't own any OwnUser equipment, but I have heard some good comments on it in some other forums, specifically about their battery-grips.

But just passing this on without judgement, as I have never had any personal experience with the company.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 11:56 AM   #5

Bob,

Well that is good news!!!

I think everyone needs one of those days, when you just sit back, relax, enjoy the day and just be happy that all is well in your world.
Life is good
Goodness knows, you certainly deserve it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 1:15 PM   #6

OWNUSER created grips for some Olympus DSLR's where there were no OEM options. I believe I remember seeing one for the E510 and E510 cameras at one time.

I cannot tell in viewing the images on eBay if this grip has a couple of the features of the Olympus unit, like the dual controls wheels and the FN button that I customized as an AE lock and the extra AF point selector. The vertical release is also set up on the front on the unit. have no idea how that might affaect the feel of it in use.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 1:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Can you guess today I am a bit bored & home alone...
Bob, Bob, Bob. Based on my personal experience, this is not good. Every time I'm in that situation and have internet access, it can become an expensive afternoon.

Get outside. Quick!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 7:48 PM   #8

....well, I did take a nap!

Steven, thanks, it does appear to be a substantial piece of hardware. I'd not come across it before this.

Zig, life is good..... blessed on all fronts. I do look at KEH & fourthirdsphoto/sell but haven't yet bought off either.

Greg, the grip does not have the wheels, it does have buttons for AEL & AF, the straight ahead focus/shutter button could be a concern, actually it is angled with a second 'like' button at the opposite end for 'left handed usage'.... I am left handed.

.........and Ted, it is ok! Got it all under control, proven it often. The last time I got really bored (Jan --last) I went to the APPLE store & bought a MAC-mini, Bluetooth kbd & mouse, 802.11N dual band router, IOMEGA 1TB HDD for wireless backup, and three(3) iPADs. I learned a lot about self control from that go'round so I'm fairly certain I'll be ok.

The really biggest issue I would have is I have no bag that will fit the E-3 with a grip mounted. Just another problem a little boredom might handle.

Back to the Rangers baseball game, I'll think about all this for a while.

later:
I've now read a few reviews and it seems these grips are pretty well accepted, with good remarks, but my choice likely would remain Olympus OEM.

Thanks for the comments.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM.