Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2011, 8:19 PM   #11

........ How well does SKYPE work in full duplex mode, does it do full duplex?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
'Dunno right now - the folks I talk to don't tend to interrupt each other. The next time I'm on I'll try an experiment with both sides talking. I can tell you that Skype to Skype audio with my brother, is better audio quality than landline or cellphone. I can hear my sister-in-law in the background, saying things like "Ask Ted if..." and I can hear her clearly.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
... I mention this because a lot of us (you know who you are), when we were much younger, had expected telephones to be video phones long before now. ...
My wife was crying after her first video skype call. She had finally experienced the future as promised long ago. She remembers going to Expo 67 in Montreal and going into the Northern Telecom pavilion where they were showcasing the future video telephones. Only took 40 odd years to realize the dream...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 6:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
My wife was crying after her first video skype call. She had finally experienced the future as promised long ago. She remembers going to Expo 67 in Montreal and going into the Northern Telecom pavilion where they were showcasing the future video telephones. Only took 40 odd years to realize the dream...
Wow - thanks for sharing that. Folks who are growing up with cameras in their cell phones probably won't find Video Skype all that amazing but like your wife, I do. It's a way better way of connecting with friends or relatives you don't get to see in person very often, than an audio-only call.

It's funny how technology evolution can be very different than the predictions. For many years Kodak tried to find an organic chemical with the same light-sensitive properties as silver, because the price of silver kept rising. They were a chemistry company, and it took them a while to see that the substitute for silver in film was actually a sensor based on physics not chemistry.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 20, 2011 at 8:01 AM.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Bob, I just realized that I hadn't answered your question. I use the free account which is one-to-one and that audio is full duplex. The paid Skype accounts allow audio and video conferencing and I don't know if that is full duplex.

Ted
Old May 24, 2011, 8:17 AM   #16

Thanks, I've still not done either SKYPE or FaceTime with the brother-in-law (California) yet. I was just curious about it. I never liked doing phone patches either but finally did, that was a fairly remarkable adventure 35 years ago.

I do remember the first audio/video I ever saw, it was Disneyland, CA 1963. Standing in line for a chance to meet someone in New York City, we exchanged, "hello, my name is Bob and I am at Disnelyland", then seeing the person in NYC do the same.......... Dick Tracly was so proud that day, I sometimes wonder what Dick would think today.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old May 24, 2011, 8:25 AM   #17

Assuming both parties have broadband and a decent webcam, the video Skype works extremely well.

Ted
Old May 24, 2011, 8:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Assuming both parties have broadband and a decent webcam
For us the iMACS cam, apps & bandwidth are quite good. I plan to put a cam on the MAC-mini too, probably a Logitech Pro 9000.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com