Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 17, 2011, 7:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
This is the stuff I miss most about living in Nevada. I wish I'd had a digital camera when I was living there. <sigh> Born too soon.
Another thing you (and I) missed being able to photograph - they just finished the new bridge that bypasses Hoover Dam (the main route to Nevada from Arizona). There are amazing photos of the construction at:

www.bridgeathooverdam.com

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 7:48 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Another thing you (and I) missed being able to photograph - they just finished the new bridge that bypasses Hoover Dam (the main route to Nevada from Arizona). There are amazing photos of the construction at:

www.bridgeathooverdam.com

Ted
THANKS FOR THE LINK, TED.

My in-laws lived in Las Vegas for about 18yrs. As a result, we had many opportunities to visit the city and the rugged landscape in the surrounding area. Unfortunately, time passes on and our in laws passed away.

We never did get a chance to see the construction or the completion of this beautiful structure.

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

The construction was a quite a feat of engineering - maybe not as much as the Dam itself but close. They started by having mountain-climbing geologists rappelling down the canyon walls for a year, taking core samples to determine the best rock to support the base of the arch on each side.

I should have put my post in Steven's Nevada Arch thread - the old and the new. They're extremely different but both very beautiful.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The construction was a quite a feat of engineering - maybe not as much as the Dam itself but close. They started by having mountain-climbing geologists rappelling down the canyon walls for a year, taking core samples to determine the best rock to support the base of the arch on each side.

I should have put my post in Steven's Nevada Arch thread - the old and the new. They're extremely different but both very beautiful.

Ted
You are right, that new arch roadway of the dam is definitely an engineering feat. They were just starting on it when I was there, and I didn't get to see it finished. I don't have any shots of it. But I did get a pretty good shot of the Hoover dam that I took from a helicopter.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:28 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Hi Steven,

That is a great shot!! way cool
Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 6:54 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I don't have any shots of it. But I did get a pretty good shot of the Hoover dam that I took from a helicopter.
That really is a good shot. When were you there? It must have been before 911. The traffic you see on the Dam in that photo is the primary traffic and truck shipping coming to Vegas from Arizona. After 911 they were concerned about a terrorist creating an explosion on the Dam (like the Oklahoma City bombing) that could cause it to crack and fail, so they made the 18-wheelers stay on I-40 over to California and then come up US-95, which put them into the Vegas area beyond the Dam. They also set up a roadblock on both sides of the Dam to allow them to check out the contents of 4-wheeled trucks, RVs, and vans.

Their fears were not unjustified - the road to the Dam from Arizona (US-93) starts in Kingman, which is a prominent location for White Supremacist whackos - Timothy McVeigh lived there for a while. The Hoover Dam Bypass bridge had been planned for years because everyone knew that there would eventually be so much traffic across the Dam that it would become a real bottleneck. Its construction had been delayed time after time by funding, political, and tribal issues, but all that changed after 911.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 8:49 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 722
Default

Great post, lots of great shots. Steven, that is a Dam good shot.

Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 9:10 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
That really is a good shot. When were you there? It must have been before 911. The traffic you see on the Dam in that photo is the primary traffic and truck shipping coming to Vegas from Arizona. After 911 they were concerned about a terrorist creating an explosion on the Dam (like the Oklahoma City bombing) that could cause it to crack and fail, so they made the 18-wheelers stay on I-40 over to California and then come up US-95, which put them into the Vegas area beyond the Dam. They also set up a roadblock on both sides of the Dam to allow them to check out the contents of 4-wheeled trucks, RVs, and vans.

Their fears were not unjustified - the road to the Dam from Arizona (US-93) starts in Kingman, which is a prominent location for White Supremacist whackos - Timothy McVeigh lived there for a while. The Hoover Dam Bypass bridge had been planned for years because everyone knew that there would eventually be so much traffic across the Dam that it would become a real bottleneck. Its construction had been delayed time after time by funding, political, and tribal issues, but all that changed after 911.

Ted
Yes, that particular shot was a couple of months prior to 9/11. We still go back there on a somewhat regular basis. (My wife and I got married there in 1995.) But I've only taken one helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon, and that shot was taken on that trip. It was an overcast day, unfortunately; the shot would have been better if the sun was out and shinning on the water.

I was also there during and after 9/11. I remember the roadblocks well, as I went thru them a couple of times.

Vegas is a really fun place. While I definitely prefer living in Florida, when I win $20 or $30 million in the Lotto, I'm buying a condo as a vacation home there! LOL
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 9:33 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Vegas is a really fun place. While I definitely prefer living in Florida, when I win $20 or $30 million in the Lotto, I'm buying a condo as a vacation home there! LOL
Wow - you and I are very different. I spent a lot of time there working on the Yucca Mountain Radioactive Waste Repository and to me there is nothing appealing about Vegas other than Red Rock Canyon. I would take northeastern Arizona over Vegas any time. Come to think of it, I did.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 9:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Wow - you and I are very different. I spent a lot of time there working on the Yucca Mountain Radioactive Waste Repository and to me there is nothing appealing about Vegas other than Red Rock Canyon. I would take northeastern Arizona over Vegas any time. Come to think of it, I did.

Ted
Well, I always enjoyed my visits to Arizona, especially Sedona, But I really enjoyed my time in Vegas. Lots of night life, great entertainment and shows, lots of famous performers, excellent restaurants, with some really great prices on food, (I gained 30 pounds in the first 2 years, LOL), lots of free stuff, great hotels, no state income tax, a low cost of living, and oh yeah, a few casinos.

But just for you, here is a shot that I'm sure you will recognize:
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:31 PM.