Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 17, 2011, 6:24 PM   #1

Default The new G3 FT 16MP sensor .. better than the one in the GH2 ???

I've just had a quick glance at the Imaging resource preview on the new Pana G3 as I was curious as to how the new 16 Mp sensor fared to the GH2 overs sized senor and also the latest APS sensors from Sony and Canon. To my real surprise it looks as if the new 16 MP sensor is even better than the Gh1's and even the GH2's and closes gap with the APS sensors at ISo3200 too!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG3/DMCG3A.HTM

Tests start at ISO 1600

"The Panasonic G3 comes out swinging against the Canon T3i, a camera with an 18-megapixel, APS-C sensor, and really does a great job without as much sharpening around high contrast areas, and considerably better noise control in the shadows. Detail in the mosaic graphic isn't as distinct, but the G3 is looking a lot better than the GH2 or G2... "

"Here's an indication of why we're so excited about the G3's image quality. The crops speak volumes. The G3 is smooth, with more accurate color, while the G2 is noisy and green, with relatively dirty shadows."

".....Panasonic G3's dramatic improvement in image quality that truly impresses us. Micro Four Thirds sensors have long been discounted because of their smaller overall sensor area when compared to APS-C cameras, but the quality we see in the Panasonic G3 turns that criticism on its head. "

So from what I could make out from the tests was that the G3 sensor is at least a stop better than the current 12 MP sensor in most E-system and M43 bodies and is even better than the GH2's newer oversized sensor as well. No sign of any banding even at ISO 3200 but then again the test scene isn't something that could cause it to occur.

If the new rumours of Oly possibly changing their minds on an EXX series camera it'd be intresting to see how well that new sensor would perform with ZD glass. In fact I;d like to see that new sensor in an E5 MKII with the same low AA filter whether that'll ever happen is anyones guess but iy never know.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2011, 8:32 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

I recently read the same article on the G3 at Imaging Resource and, quite honestly was left scratching my head. Reason being, in each comparison of the G3 against the dslrs chosen, the results clearly showed that the G3 level of detail wasn't as good any cameras tested against. So, i'm not sure what they were really referring to. Maybe it's my eyes, but, I couldn't get too excited over it.

Now, is the sensor of the G3 superior to the latest Oly sensor? I don't know, but
as we have seen, the sensor alone isn't the answer. Oly currently has the best ooc jpeg output of any micro 43 system out there( E-5 as well in fourthirds). I would also add the jpegs rival just about any APC sized dslr available today for detail, clarity and color.
So, Olympus has spent a great deal of time, effort and money on working out the relationships between the sensor, AAfilter and jpeg engine.

Panasonic has invested a great deal of time and effort to design a great sensor. BUT, they haven't quite got all the pieces in place with respect to color fidelity and final output.

One thing is sure, Panasonic is far ahead of Oly when it comes to AF, menus and body design. I really do like their body designs and menus. The Auto Focus(from what I've read) apparently is as good as any conventional dslr in it's class.

I don't see Panasonic entering any agreement to supply Olympus with their new sensor anymore than Olympus agreeing to supply them with their jpeg engine and processing algorithms.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:01 PM   #3

Hi Zig

I don't think its your eye sight when it comes to some of those comparisons but there I think there is a definite improvement with this new sensor. The proof in he pudding is always going to be real world shots and esp with decent glass.

Regarding the new sensor I cant see why Panny would hold back on supplying this particular design to Oly as its a plain ol vanilla flavoured 4/3 chip. The one in the GH1/GH2 on the other hand have been over sized and according to some tweaked more for video than still. I think we just have to wait and see what new Oly cam's show up and with what sensors. Oly have done something pretty special with the extracting the best out of a 3 year old sensor design.

Cheers

HArj
Old May 17, 2011, 9:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Zig

I don't think its your eye sight when it comes to some of those comparisons but there I think there is a definite improvement with this new sensor. The proof in he pudding is always going to be real world shots and esp with decent glass.

Regarding the new sensor I cant see why Panny would hold back on supplying this particular design to Oly as its a plain ol vanilla flavoured 4/3 chip. The one in the GH1/GH2 on the other hand have been over sized and according to some tweaked more for video than still. I think we just have to wait and see what new Oly cam's show up and with what sensors. Oly have done something pretty special with the extracting the best out of a 3 year old sensor design.

Cheers

HArj
Hi Harj,

I only say that Panny may not make the sensor available because it looks like (to me) Oly is not sharing with Panasonic any of their secrets on AA filter designs, jpeg engine secrets etc.

Rumor also has it that Olympus looks to be working on their own proprietary sensor design. Given that Olympus has an advantage with their processing, jpeg engine, and AAfilter my suspicion is that it won't be released until it improves upon what they already have.
Now, that's exciting to me.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:43 PM   #5

The G3 is way too touch screen for me. LOTS of external controls on the GH2 do not exist on the G3. Many of them (AE/AF Lock for one) basic controls I would not do without. If it were me, I'd choose the GH2 every time over the G3.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 5:45 AM   #6

Hi Greg

Agree on your thoughts on the G3, although I'm impressed that Panny was able to have the EVF and put an articulated LCD on a body that sized. Personally if your going to make a camera that small - it should be like a range finder/LC1/X100, nice and simple with a shutter speed dial on top and all the controls within finger reach so you don;t need to faf around looking at the LCD to work the thing.

Cheers

Harj
Old May 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #7

hi Harj
dont want to be a total killjoy, but is this just about NR or is something else going on?
that things tiny isnt it, barely a EPL1 with a VF on top
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 8:56 PM   #8

Hi Riley

yeah theyre getting way too small.. and the buttons... crickey any smaller and youd have to use sticks to prod them with.

I'm curious to the IQ from that new sensor .. theres such a noticeable jump in IQ compared to the G1 and it also seems to trump the GH2's over sized. I was surprised that there were no low ISO shots in the comparison - would have been nice to have seen how clean base ISO is with them packing 16MP. Makes me wonder if theyd kept the new sensor to 12MP how good that would be esp compared to say the 7D.

If were looking at an easy 1 stop improvement over the previous gen and possibly even the latest GH2 sensor then thats pretty significant esp if were comparing the output from Pana's Venus engine .. and we know from experience thats no where near as good as Olys Truepic.

Harj
Old May 19, 2011, 3:44 AM   #9

a stop over GHx series sensors would be a good improvement yes, but I think we better wait for the RAWs to see whats really happening there. I think we will find its just a bit less than a stop, but an improvement nonetheless
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote