Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 20, 2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Default A new Kodak sensor ... 29MP CCD

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...sor-kodak.html

"This 35mm format CCD is the 7th in Kodak's family 5.5um pixel devices, a family that includes an entire set of image sensors from 1 to 29 megapixels. The KAI-29050 joins two other products - the 720p format KAI-01150 and the 1080p format KAI-02150 - as the first devices to use the KODAK TRUESENSE Color Filter Pattern. The TRUESENSE technology is claimed to provide a 2x to 4x increase in light sensitivity compared to a standard Bayer color sensor by adding panchromatic pixels to the standard RGB elements that form the image sensor array."

I was a bit surprised that Kodak actual have 2 sensors that can also do video esp 1080 and that its significantly more sensitive than a standard Bayer sensor, which got me thinking that whether Kodak could possibly be back in the frame as a potential sensor supplier for Oly if they were able to produce a similar 4/3 sized sensor?

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2011, 8:22 PM   #2

Thanks for the info Harj; very interesting info.

Heee is the list of the full family of the new sensor. Interesting to note that the 29 size is limited to 4 frames a sec, so it is not for movies but for stills. The small MP are for movies.

Here is the color filter options table for the whole 5.5um pixel platform:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 9:16 AM   #3

29mp. That's a potful of megapixels innitt?

I remember an article years back, when we thought 4mp was big, that it'd take 16mp to equal the res of 35mm film. Well guess what?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 1:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
29mp. That's a potful of megapixels innitt?

I remember an article years back, when we thought 4mp was big, that it'd take 16mp to equal the res of 35mm film. Well guess what?
I remember that also. The funny thing was, pro togs adopted digital way earlier, at a lower resolution than that. I believe that was because their clients figured out that they generally didn't really need the film-equivalent resolution for most of what they were printing, and getting a digital file was way easier on their workflow than getting a film negative.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 3:06 PM   #5

I sorta remember that as well.

What most people forget is that film was based on three layers for the image to be built up on, ccd's have the sensors all on one layer and as a result the 'true' resolution per color is only one third of the stated sensor size.

The Sigma Foveon sensor when released gave some hope to achieve a true film like sensor, but to date it has found not to be as good as hoped.

Old May 21, 2011, 4:28 PM   #6

for CCD to work for us it has to be Interline Transfer for Liveview, but this one is

actually TRUESENSE can be applied to any sensor just as conventional bayer layers are,
the downside (in my mind) is what happens to colour as there is no question something radical has to happen to restore it.

Not sure Aptina might not be better
http://www.aptina.com/products/image_sensors/mt9h004/
can always add TRUESENSE later

if we go for another sensor it has to be good,
even better than everyone else has b/se we lose e/v in the process due to smaller sensor size
and it has to be marketable on all the cameras they make which holds the volume up to affordable levels (200k units per yr)
one thing Oly wont give up though, is how good the colours are OOC

Last edited by Rriley; May 21, 2011 at 4:30 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote