Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 22, 2011, 9:41 AM   #1

Default E5- Low ISO and High Detail Scenes often equal HUGE Files

This past week while in Palo Duro Canyon with my E5 outfit I was using ISO 100 for the first time in a while with any Olympus DSLR and the combination of the resolution increase from the days of using my E1, the last Olympus DSLR where I often used ISO 100, and shooting off the Manfrotto tripod, often with the cabled release, resulted in some quite amazing detail capture.....and HUGE files, the biggest of which was 17MB! I used the biggest "12" setting in Photoshop on saving each JPEG from RAW, but in some cases went down to "11" to keep some of the file sizes down, no doubt due to the high detail captured in these rocky landscapes.

BTW, one of the other club members there who shoots with a Pentax K5 pulled out his little Olympus XZ-1 to show me since he knew I was an Olympus user. First time I had seen one in the flesh. Quite impressive little camera, and the images on the screen he had captured looked very nice.

This first image was shot from the sceneic viewpoint you arrive at 7/10th's of a mile from the front entrance. The park's signature formation, the Lighthouse, is near dead center as this was captured at just past first light at 7:01am. Viewed at 100%, the detail captured is amazing. Captured with the 50-200 SWD at 79mm, 1/40 second and tripod mounted with the cable release. From this spot the Lighthouse is 3 miles, or approximately 1 Kilometer away.

The 12-60 SWD..

West Texas is in a deep, deep drought right now. Just about every field I looked at while driving to and from the canyon each day looked like this. Picture the bus scene from North by Northwest where Cary Grant was dropped off at the county road stop..

I was out on a sheer ledge one morning as a massive cloud bank was clearing from west to east and had to do this with the fisheye..

Then the sun came out..

Both the early morning and late afternoon sun is beautiful down there. This was taken around an hour or so before sunset..

Few to no wild flowers due to the lack of rain, but cactus seem to bloom no matter the amount or lack of rain.

Early light. This is a 14MB JPEG from RAW, even with the substantial amount of blue sky, which usually cuts down on the file size since there's little to no detail in that area of the file.

Last light hitting the cliffs in early evening..

And sundown, from a site I spotted just south of Canyon, Texas on the way towards Lubbock..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 22, 2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added additional information.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2011, 1:09 PM   #2

Great shots Greg and great detail. The sandstone formations are always immpressive but for some reason that last shot stays with me, I like it. The fisheye gives a pleasing look to the cloud and also gives a crater effect to the valley below.

Oh, and "the Lighthouse is 3 miles, or approximately 1 Kilometer away." Only in Texas..

Last edited by Scouse; May 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 1:17 PM   #3

Wow; great series. All are top notch, but for some reason the cactus shot really grabs my attention. Great detail, it makes you feel like you need to keep your hand away from the screen or you will get stuck with a cactus needle!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 1:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Great shots Greg and great detail. The sandstone formations are always immpressive but for some reason that last shot stays with me, I like it. The fisheye gives a pleasing look to the cloud and also gives a crater effect to the valley below.

Oh, and "the Lighthouse is 3 miles, or approximately 1 Kilometer away." Only in Texas..
I was off in that, wasn't I! I guess that'd be closer to 5 kilometers.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I was off in that, wasn't I! I guess that'd be closer to 5 kilometers.
Well when you said "Only in Texas", I figured that ya'll had your own way of measuring!!. lol
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 5:34 PM   #6

One thing that was hard not to measure was the weight of that backpack on those long four and six mile hikes. I'm going to take a break from some of the weight for a little while. The accessory grip is coming off the E5 and the 50-200 and EC20 are going in the spare bag, replaced by the 70-300 that has not seen much action lately. Just holding the E5+70-300 now makes me wish I had taken it and had access to it at least a couple of times where it would have been just fine for what I was doing, especially considering I was using a tripod for all these shots, so no need to go to the next higher ISO setting just because I would need to stay around f8 with the 70-300, which was where I was shooting quite a bit with the 50-200 anyway.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:50 AM   #7

Just had a chance to catch up. Greg I really enjoyed these - I didn't know there was a part of Texas that looks so much like the Southwest. I also found the last one to be my favorite - seems iconic of Texas and Oklahoma.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote