Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 23, 2011, 9:04 PM   #1

Default E5 and 70-300- Nice Combination....

I arrived at the Arboretum this morning and within 5 minutes of me walking through the front gate the sky opened up and for the next hour it poured down.

Once the rain stopped, the sky remained overcast, at times a heavy overcast. Perfect for shooting color. Fortunately I also was carrying my tripod and used it for every shot trying to keep the ISO low and the aperture at f8-11, utilizing the cable release and anti-shock to raise the mirror shortly before firing the shutter.

I had my 12-60, 9-18 and 70-300 in addition to the EX25 and my main reason for taking the 70-300 was to use it for the first time extensively on the E5. I'm also contemplating going to the Rangers' Wednesday afternoon (1:05pm start) game vs. the White Sox. Depending on the seat I can manage, I might just take the 70-300 and E5 for that game, too.

I found this guy frozen in a bed after the rain. I was good he was frozen and I had my tripod as the shutter speed was 1/4 second..

Ass of these were captured with the 70-300..

and one with the 12-60..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2011, 9:38 PM   #2

The colour saturation with those settings is outstanding. Great shots all of them. Would they let you take your new friend home?

You know that you're making me rethink my attitude with that lens
I've been hand holding my 70-300 and hoping I can hold enough speed so I don't get camera shake or lose DOF because of the wide aperture.
Guess I'm going to have to start lugging my tripod around and opening up the lens. Trouble is, I know all this but I've just been to lazy.
I can't lock the mirror up or use a cable release, all I can do is set a 2 second timer delay.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3

Greg, you must have gotten there about 11:30 or so, it was quite a rain and it seemed midnight at noon for darkness here when it hit.

Your tripod shots are fantastic, loved the Amarillo shots and these are very nice too.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4

Hi, Bob.

Yep, that was about the time. The second of my two week vacation so I have to make the best of the time! May go hit the Botanical Gardens over in Ft. Worth tomorrow after stopping by Rangers Stadium to check out getting a ticket for Wednesday's game. Who knows....late tomorrow afternoon I might even go storm chasing. The weather is supposed to get wild late.
Old May 24, 2011, 5:16 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

Wonderful!

I wonder how many forum members know enough to move their cursor over any of the images, then mouse click once which will direct them to your E-5 gallery. There, they can view an amazing body of work.

I go there from time to time just to look at the photos that you didn't post on the forum. A really fine testament to your skills as a photographer.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 5:54 AM   #6

Great photos, Greg.

Ken, if you look at the EXIFs, Greg is shooting at speeds that are barely hand-holdable for a person with very steady hands. Add in a long focal length, which magnifies motion, and there's no way you can get that sharpness without sticks. (At 300mm you're at an equivalent 600mm film lens.)

Ted

PS: Greg, for the Light Source, the EXIF says "Fine Weather". So I really don't understand what you're complaining about.

Last edited by tkurkowski; May 24, 2011 at 7:27 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7

I totally agree Ted, my problem is that I've been trying to force those type of shots were I shouldn't be so lazy.

Certainly a great combo of camera and lens but it still needs someone, a photographer, to make the shot.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 6:32 PM   #8

Not wanting to start an all new post, here are a few more from today with the E5 and 70-300 from the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. BTW, I did pick up that ticket for tomorrow afternoon's Rangers 1:05 game vs. the Chicago White Sox. I'm hoping for a rainout tonight and a double-header for tomorrow! Seat is one section on the outfield side of the Rangers dugout, 13 rows off the field...a good spot for photography....as long as there is not some giant sitting in front of me.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 24, 2011 at 7:01 PM.