Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 24, 2011, 9:09 AM   #1

Default Wedding in Quebec City (Part II)

There is some shots taken last Saturday. I downloaded all of them last evening and already removed about 20% of them. Since then, I found out that I forgot:

1) My portable reflector
2) To change some settings when moving from Inside to Outside (and vice-versa)
3) People move ... mountain and flower don't ...

Anyway, there you go (no editing with the exception of one or two cropping):
Attached Images

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2011, 9:11 AM   #2

Default One more shot...

BTW, anybody knows a good application to remove too much noise. Note: All the shots were taken in JPG + RAW ... so I might have some work to do ...
Attached Images

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
BTW, anybody knows a good application to remove too much noise. Note: All the shots were taken in JPG + RAW ... so I might have some work to do ...
Topaz Denoise - can't beat it.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 1:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I will get the trial version and see what I can do with it!

Old May 25, 2011, 1:45 PM   #5

If you have a version of Adobe like CS2, 3, etc. there is a filter under noise called despeckle that works fairly well.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 2:15 PM   #6

I'm not sure if you're looking for feedback on these images. I'm assuming so, so here goes:

Photo 1: Great expression on your niece's face there. The biggest issue is the shot is very much under-exposed. Probably a good stop to stop and a half. Make the exposure adjustment with the RAW file and use the noise reduction software you end up with. I'm also not keen on the crop - too much dead space to the right. Some is definitely good but this is a bit too much - a good 40% of the frame is empty/uninteresting. Just a guess but I think you could remove 1/2 the dead space.

shot 2: nice expression. This one is even more underexposed though. It's going to take a good amount of editing to recover and at such a tight framing of the face, there may be too much loss of detail - especially for a wedding photo. I have to ask at this point - wasn't flash allowed for the entrance? Often flash is discouraged during a mass. Did you discuss the option to use flash during this portion with the officiator? Also another awkward crop - with partial shoulders on both sides of the frame and a crop right below the bust line which is probably not the best place to crop - either a couple inches higher or lower would, IMO, be better.

shot 3: nice pose. The high ISO bit you here. Noise reduction should clean it up. But, a larger problem is - it appears you didn't have enough DOF to get the groom in proper focus here.

shot 4: not a fan of this shot. I don't think the pose works, there are blown highlights. Out of all the shots this is the one that, IMO, isn't worth trying to save. Even with the exposure fixed I don't think this shot works.

shot 5: best of the bunch. Much better color and exposure than the other shots. Although there's still too much shadow on the eyes. Did you use flash? A good use of fill flash to illuminate the eyes and add catch-light would be beneficial for a type of shot like this.

Wedding photography is tough stuff. I realize this was a "favor" for your niece, but I think you let your ego get you into trouble here. It may sound harsh, but buying an expensive lens just before and not having any relevant experience isn't a recipe for a successful wedding photographer. Sounds harsh I know. But this is the single most important photography you can choose to do and it doesn't appear you were familiar enough with your equipment or shooting human subjects in these conditions.

Others can blast me for being too tough - but this isn't a school play, it's a wedding.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 4:55 PM   #7

Hi John,

Believe me ... I knew it will be hard doing a wedding without any experience, preparation, scouting, etc...

I tried to do my best and I was already able to crop and adjust a couple of the shots I did (I might post them later). I understand they will not be at the professional level (and I told them they will not be). However, for the amount of experience I have with weddings (hum ... amount on inexperience sound better) ... I think I did a not too bad job ... at least enough to provide them some good memories ... which is the goal at the end.

I appreciate your comment (even if my wife love #4) ... and I will try to apply them.

Notes:
#1 is already "fixed"
#2 is "fixed" but nothing I can do about the bottom crop
#3 I agreed with the lack of DOF ... too bad ... nothing I can do about it
#4 I still like it (I'll see what I can do with the overexposed portion)...
#5 needs some TLC (BTW, no flash used ... but a very sunny and windy day)

... and finally ... I already told them that mountains & plants are not moving too much People are way harder to take pictures at ..

Gilles

Old May 26, 2011, 7:21 AM   #8

Hi Gilles,

Being a photographer at a wedding, regardless of wether you know the bride and groom or not, is always a challenge. But, if your friends know that you have a camera and like to take photographs, you'll surely be asked to do a wedding, group family portrait, or graduation photographs.

So you start somewhere and build off of it.

John's already provided a critique. I just wanted to add that if you don't have it now, you may consider getting Photoshop CS5. It has a host of features that would help you with post processing the RAW files and getting rid of noise as well as bring back some of the details.

I hope you don't mind but here are a couple of quick edits done:

The 1st was mainly a white balance adjustment and crop

The 2nd was introducing the idea of the use of vignetting to try and remove unwanted background (people, etc.) Please note, that I softened the clarity-probably too much but it was the best I could get. With the original file, it may be easier to sharpen up and also deal with removing the noise.

The 3rd was retreiving some detail and clarity using Adobe's Camera Raw

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 8:30 AM   #9

Hi Zig,

I started doing my basic editing (using Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop Elements 9) and it improved a lot of them (especially using the "denoiser", the recovery tool for the overexposed white portions, cropping a bit ... and sometime a lot).

I like what your did with #1 (I didn't do that much ... yet) and the idea behind #2 is great. BTW, that for you input

Old May 26, 2011, 9:27 AM   #10

Hi Gilles,

I forgot that PSE9 also includes Adobe's Camera RAW. That combination should be able to take care of most of your needs.

Just a quick suggestion; Adobe has tutorials on the use of ACR as part of their CS5 tutorial program on line. I believe that most of the features that I can access thru CS5 are also available to you in PSE9. You may just want to take a look at some of their tutorials as to how to get the most of of the software you have.

regards,
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote