Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 28, 2011, 2:14 AM   #1

Default Working in ACR and Output Sharpening- Too Much?

Of course, I am kind-of pushing this with my E5 files as I am also maximizing the capture sharpening in ACR.

I've never really utilized output sharpening to this point. I do my processing in ACR, including sharpening and noise filtering, then click on "OK", which opens the file in Photoshop and, typically from there I just selected "save as", choose the maximum "12" for minimal compression and pick the folder I want to save the file(s) in.

With output sharpening, the file is never opened in Photoshop. If you click on the data string at the very bottom of the file in the ACR window, it opens the output sharpening box that gives you the ability to add output sharpening based on the main intended use of the file. Your options are "screen", "matte paper", "glossy paper" or "none". You can also very the power as "Low", "standard" or "high". Once you make these settings, every image you process will be saved at these settings unless you open the box up in another file and make a change.

The settings I am using are "screen" and "standard".

The final step to add the output sharpening it to click on the "save image" tab in the lower left-hand side of the ACR window. A box will open up giving you the option of selecting a folder to save the file. The one difference in saving here vs. doing so in Photoshop, the system in Photoshop will tell you if you are re-saving and ask if you want to replace the current file. Re-saving in ACR will simply add another file with an "01" suffix to the end. You then click "done" and you are finished.

I've started re-doing a number of my files. Many I have replaced in their original folders, but for a few I am loading them to a folder specifically for files where output sharpening has been used..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...471350_WsMTKXw

If you have a few minutes, click on a few of these or download a few of the full-sized files and let me know if you think the sharpening is excessive or not. I know there are differences from screen to screen that will look better or worse than others, but I'm liking the look with the added output sharpening. The E5 files in the lower ISO range seem to really accept some massive sharpening without a whole lot of problems. The capture sharpening numbers I am using on these are on the order of Amount- 90, Radius of .9 and Detail of 20, then adding the output sharpening..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2011, 5:39 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Took a look at your gallery this morning. All the images on my Imac 21" screen are very sharp. With the most impressive to me, the flower close ups and the racing image.

The very positive benefit out of using this technique is that the software doesn't add any artifacts to the images- a common problem with sharpening software.

Zig

One point I failed to mention: the capture sharpening numbers are IMO camera dependent as I usually add too many artifacts to my images with the figures you use for the E-5. Most likely due to the AAfilter differences between the E-30 and the E-5.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; May 28, 2011 at 5:48 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 9:11 AM   #3

Hi Greg

Thanks for the tip .. I had never applied that setting at all in LR - its there under :

export file -> Output sharpening with the same settings.

Adobe have thought out the workflow really well in ACR and LR, now I just need to learn how to use the products correctly.

Regards sharpening .. this is where I think C1 seems to have an edge of LR in that with my E3 files, the new sharpening settings that I've been using (70, 0.7, 1) are adding sharpening artifacts to the image where as previously they were at 40-1-1 and there's a lot less artifacts. C1's sharpening seems to produce less artifacts at its default settings and the IQ seems to hold up better as you increase the sharpening. I could be wrong as I'm still trying to get to grips with C1.
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 10:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

Took a look at your gallery this morning. All the images on my Imac 21" screen are very sharp. With the most impressive to me, the flower close ups and the racing image.

The very positive benefit out of using this technique is that the software doesn't add any artifacts to the images- a common problem with sharpening software.

Zig

One point I failed to mention: the capture sharpening numbers are IMO camera dependent as I usually add too many artifacts to my images with the figures you use for the E-5. Most likely due to the AAfilter differences between the E-30 and the E-5.
I can see this point as I've never used this massive amount with my E30 either. One thing I didn't mention is, I've not even been using the masking feature to hold back sharpening anywhere on files, either, which I often did with E30 RAW files.

The pictures that started really getting my attention for details were the shots of sections at Palo Duro I captured with the camera tripod mounted and with the 50-200 at ISO 100, like this one..

I can sit here for a few minutes scanning the various areas of images like this looking at the details when zoomed to 100%..

The Lighthouse from 3 miles away..

Then from maybe 100 yards away later that morning as I was still catching my breathe from climbing the plateau to get to this point..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Hi Greg,
Had a chance to go back and look at more of the photos in your gallery.
And yes, the Canyon shots all show amazing clarity and detail at 100% mag.

I've used this output sharpening before and sort of slipped away from it. I'll have I revisit this first chance I get with files from the E-30.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote