Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2011, 6:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The Governor does carry a gun, so I do not tend to disagree with him if I think he might be around to hear me.
Yeah. Did you see the recent DPR thread where IanDavis was robbed at gunpoint of his photo gear on the street in Oakland? And Ben Hermann, who recently sold some of the 81 cameras he owned to buy more guns, said that's why he carries a concealed Glock? I'm wondering what Ben would plan to do with a concealed Glock while the robber is pointing a pistol at him on the street.

So I guess I'm saying your plan is a wise one.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:42 PM   #12

Yes, I did see that DPR post. Glad we stayed on the other side of the Bay last June except for the day we drove up to wine country. Unfortunately, I can also recall 1-2 different times the past 10 years when people were held up at gun-point inside my apartment complex so it can happen anywhere, any time. Losing an E3 and 14-35 f2 and it not being insured has got to be a sickening feeling. Coming out of it alive is the good part.

I know my daughter has has quite a bit of exposure to using weapons in her Air Force training and has it this point shot a gun more than I have my entire life.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:13 PM   #13

Quote:
I know my daughter has has quite a bit of exposure to using weapons in her Air Force training and has it this point shot a gun more than I have my entire life.
Yeah that happens to us when in the military. Which convinced me that the odds of defending myself with a concealed weapon facing someone who has one drawn, are not good. Not good at all.

I just mention this because that part of that DPR thread had me scratching my head. "I carry a Glock - no one is gonna rob me!" Yeah, right.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:13 AM   #14

Hi Ted,

An informative and very interesting post. The ferry very much reminds me of the ferry we use when on Martha's Vineyard when crossing the harbor going from Edgartown to Chappaquiddick.

There is a lot more history associated with your ferry though.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:46 AM   #15

Hi, Zig

Ferries that are ships crossing deep water, like the one you refer to, are still pretty common in the US (Seattle comes to mind).

What you see in my photos is called a cable ferry, generally used to cross shorter distances, i.e. rivers. At one time there were a lot of them in the US (a few were close to White's Ferry) but at this point most of them have been replaced by bridges. There are only some 2 dozen left, so the one I show is a remnant of an era almost gone on the US. Canada, Australia, and Finland still have a number of them.

Ted
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, Zig

Ferries that are ships crossing deep water, like the one you refer to, are still pretty common in the US (Seattle comes to mind).

What you see in my photos is called a cable ferry, generally used to cross shorter distances, i.e. rivers. At one time there were a lot of them in the US (a few were close to White's Ferry) but at this point most of them have been replaced by bridges. There are only some 2 dozen left, so the one I show is a remnant of an era almost gone on the US. Canada, Australia, and Finland still have a number of them.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Actually, the ferry used to cross the Edgartown Harbor is a hybrid of sorts. Looks quite similar to the cabled ferry, in terms of size- actually- it's smaller, as it holds 3 vehicles

Here's a couple of pics. I'm standing on the opposite shore waiting for the ferry to arrive, which will give you some perspective as to how far it is actually traveling:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:59 AM   #17

Zig, that's interesting. I guess I was thinking about the main ferry that gets you to Martha's Vinyard (the Island Home?). You're right - that Edgartown ferry is a baby.

I suppose I just assumed that ferries that aren't cable, are large. The deep water ferry down here that gets used a lot, goes across the Delaware Bay from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ. It's a bit larger than the Edgartown Harbor one - it holds 100 cars. (Photo from Wikipedia).
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:33 PM   #18

this looks like one of the many ferries we took a few years ago while in Vancouver the travelling to various points north and south. For someone like myself, it was a novelty and fun/different way of getting to 2-3 different places, but I could definitely see it being a real PITA if I had to deal with crossing like this on a daily basis. I recall a couple of times where we made it on by the skin of our teeth, saving a 2 hour wait for the next ride because the normal boat on the route was out of commission and traffic was backed up for miles.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:43 PM   #19

Quote:
this looks like one of the many ferries we took a few years ago while in Vancouver the travelling to various points north and south. For someone like myself, it was a novelty and fun/different way of getting to 2-3 different places, but I could definitely see it being a real PITA if I had to deal with crossing like this on a daily basis. I recall a couple of times where we made it on by the skin of our teeth, saving a 2 hour wait for the next ride because the normal boat on the route was out of commission and traffic was backed up for miles.
In Seattle, a lot of folks live on the islands and commute to work by ferry every day. If the weather gets really bad during the day they expect to crash in a motel in town overnight. They consider that a small price to pay for living on an island.

Ted