Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 31, 2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Default (OT) Roger Ebert: "The Greatest Music Video Ever Made"

I put this on our sticky but I'm not sure folks are looking at that thread.

If you haven't seen this video, take 10 minutes and watch it. it is a promotional video for the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Mayor, police and fire departments participated, as well as (seemingly) half of the residents. It was carefully choreographed, the participants all got in place, and then the video itself was shot all at once, uncut and unedited. "American Pie" was dubbed in.

Truly remarkable. In one week Rob Bliss has become a legend among my pro videographer friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjjZCO67WI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:29 PM   #2

I watched it, pretty cool. I learned that entire song when I was young and played guitar a lot. Good job, I liked how everyone entered and exited as the song progressed.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:47 AM   #3

Eric, it's not clear why that song was chosen, especially considering the genesis of that video. Back in January, Newsweek magazine posted an article on its web site about the "Top Ten Dying Cities in America" and Grand Rapids was #10 on the list. That city's residents and leaders took offense at that, and some 5,000 of them participated in the video intended to show that Grand Rapids is actually alive.

One thing still photographers may not know, is a video like that is shot with a Steadicam, a rig consisting of a vest with a framework attached that hold the videocam and includes a fairly powerful gyroscope to stabilize the motion and vibration of the videographer when walking. If you ever played with a toy gyroscope you know how resistant it is to changes in motion. The Steadicam is extremely resistant, so to pan and tilt it requires huge upper body strength. Videographers who use one a lot, burn out from using it in only a few years. It took more physical effort for Andrew Tingley, who shot this video, than most folks realize.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote