Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Lizard eye

Hi guys: Been really busy and haven't posted much lately. Here is a shot from a recent outing.
Lizard eye. He seemed to pose for the camera.

Tech data: Oly E-520 with 70-300 at 300mm, [email protected] 1/100 ISO 400, handheld, flash at 1/4 power. (I keep the default setting on the camera at 1/4 power, and it is usually just right for adding a catchlight in an animal's eye without washing out the features.)

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:19 AM   #2

Very nice! I have a bunch of lizards in my yard, so they end up being frequent subjects, but I don't think I've captured anything this good yet. Thanks for posting!
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:08 AM   #3

I agree - very nice. I'm surprised there's so little DOF at f/7.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I agree - very nice. I'm surprised there's so little DOF at f/7.

Ted
That's a good point.

I like the photo though, a different way to show the lizard and I like the 1/4 flash effect.

You should sell it to the insurance industry. They're having quite a laugh at the insurance buyers now with their depiction of a lizard being a spokes/thingy for their industry.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:05 PM   #5

Thanks for looking guys.

"...I'm surprised there's so little DOF at f/7."
Yes, I have to remember to be very careful of the focus spot in lower light levels. When the subject is within 12 feet or less the DOF at 300mm is razor thin. You have to use only the center spot and pay attention. Look at this one where I messed up and missed the eye focus, as it chose a spot to the left of the eye to focus.

Here I moved the zoom back to 158mm and got a little better DOF, but it is still shallow.

"..You should sell it to the insurance industry. They're having quite a laugh at the insurance buyers now with their depiction of a lizard being a spokes/thingy for their industry."

Here is the real Geico Gecko:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:41 AM   #6

Did the Geico offer you a better deal on your insurance?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 AM   #7

Wow...those are very sharp pictures.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Here is the real Geico Gecko:
Steven, I love that photo. It's good enough to almost cause me to become less exasperated with the endless Geico ads here. Here being the Washington DC area, where the Government Employee Insurance Company is located. These are the people that bought a huge number of radar units and sent them to police departments. Then they raised the rates on all their insured members when they got speeding tickets. Can you spell "sleazy"?

Disclosure: My insurer is USAA, not Geico. I only post this because I watched it go down, and went through a lot of barf bags.

Ted
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Steven, I love that photo. It's good enough to almost cause me to become less exasperated with the endless Geico ads here. Here being the Washington DC area, where the Government Employee Insurance Company is located. These are the people that bought a huge number of radar units and sent them to police departments. Then they raised the rates on all their insured members when they got speeding tickets. Can you spell "sleazy"?

Disclosure: My insurer is USAA, not Geico. I only post this because I watched it go down, and went through a lot of barf bags.

Ted
Thanks Ted, but there is even more to your Geico story. Back when, they also sent a questionnaire to their customers asking some basic innocent questions about driving habits, etc. But one of the questions was if the person had a radar detector in their car. If you answered "yes", then you were dropped at your next renewal.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Thanks Ted, but there is even more to your Geico story. Back when, they also sent a questionnaire to their customers asking some basic innocent questions about driving habits, etc. But one of the questions was if the person had a radar detector in their car. If you answered "yes", then you were dropped at your next renewal.
Jeez, I forgot about that one. Makes seeing their never-ending TV commercials even more nauseating.