Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:23 PM   #1

Default a Trip to Martha's Vineyard

Ted's wonderful post regarding the history of the cable Ferry reminded me of the trips that I've taken with my family and friends each year over the last 40 yrs to Martha's Vineyard.

The "Vineyard" as it's called by locals is a small island 7miles off the coast of Cape Cod. It very much a summer vacation getaway for the Brahmins of Boston as well as many well to do people and actors.

Since I'm not in any of those categories' you may wonder why I go there. Well, the fishing on the beaches of the Island can be just spectacular. And besides, it's simply a wonderful place to go.

So as not to hijack Ted's great post on the Jubal Ferry, I thought a separate post was appropriate.

The Martha's Vineyard Ferry leaves from Woods Hole, MA, takes about 80 cars and in the summer there is a ferry that leaves every 45 minutes

at the top deck, you can sit and enjoy the ride and the view. That's my wife, Martha and our grand daughter, Samantha. The woman holding the fishing rods is my daughter. Yes, those are my rods.

Once we arrive on the Island, the first thing to do is go to the beach using 4 wheel drive vehicles

We arrive at our destination, Cape Pogue. Samantha approves and our grandson Timmy is happy to finally get out of the car.

The fishing can be quite good and there are a lot of fisherman around. Here's my son trying his luck. Not many people yet as it's just about 6:00am.

And, before you know it, it's time to go back home to the real world.

This is a photo of my grandson, Timmy while we're waiting for the Ferry taking us back to the mainland, docks:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:01 PM   #2

GREAT photos, Zig. At some point Ken is gonna wake up and participate in ferry threads, living where he does.

> We arrive at our destination, Cape Pogue. Samantha approves
> and our grandson Timmy is happy to finally get out of the car.

Hah. It looks to me like Zig is having a good time and the car occupants are just happy to not be moving. Not the same as Zig's conclusion.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:59 PM   #3

Hey!.......... I did a great (IMHO) ferry thread last year, which was totally ignored despite the spectacular photos....also IMHO......

Ziggy, I love the photos and I love tale telling with then. always makes them more interesting. That shot of your grandaughter smiling in anticipation at the beach is wonderful.

So where are the shots of the piles of fish...???????
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Hey!.......... I did a great (IMHO) ferry thread last year, which was totally ignored despite the spectacular photos....also IMHO......

Ziggy, I love the photos and I love tale telling with then. always makes them more interesting. That shot of your grandaughter smiling in anticipation at the beach is wonderful.

So where are the shots of the piles of fish...???????
Hi Ken,

Yes, I also, love to know the story behind the images that people post. That's why I'm so longwinded on my posts. I think it completes the pictures posted.

In answer to your request that I produce some fish pics:

a couple of buddies with a Bass:

My son, Chris, with an Albacore caught on a fly rod

My son's friend, Colles, with an Albacore he's caught.

Yours truly with a striped bass, Caught on one of my saltwater streamer flies.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
GREAT photos, Zig. At some point Ken is gonna wake up and participate in ferry threads, living where he does.

> We arrive at our destination, Cape Pogue. Samantha approves
> and our grandson Timmy is happy to finally get out of the car.

Hah. It looks to me like Zig is having a good time and the car occupants are just happy to not be moving. Not the same as Zig's conclusion.

Ted
Yes,

I was and always do have a good time when I'm there.
Zig

Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:57 PM   #6

Zig: Great shots, great looking family, and informative commentary. Thanks for sharing.

Hey ken: I don't remember your ferry shots, I must have missed them during a busy time.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:14 PM   #7

The Grandkids are great....sweet looking kids. Making Great Memories with them!
Didn't know albacore was that small...tuna I have seen are huge.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Zig: Great shots, great looking family, and informative commentary. Thanks for sharing.

Hey ken: I don't remember your ferry shots, I must have missed them during a busy time.
Me either, Ken - give us a link.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:05 AM   #9

Buncha happy fishermen there. Always fun when you bring dinner home. Had a nice piece of Dorado (Mahi mahi) for mine tonight.

And for you none fishermen. Do you really think that Tuna are born at 800 pounds ....

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...d-ferries.html

Had another from the San Juan Islands but can't find it.

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:34 AM   #10

Ken, I remember that thread now. Looking back on it, we never did tell you we liked your photos, we went off on a tangent to conclude you didn't screw up the white balance.

I really did like those photos. You should put the photo of the ferry back in that post.

Ted