Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Incorrect colour even with RAW files

Back in late April I took some pics at the yearly Sikh Nagar Kirtan (religious parade) and as always shot in RAW. However, I've got some cpis where the colour is definietly wrong but I'm simply unable to fix it in LR/ACR or even C1. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great as I've been left scratchign my head wondering what to do next ? I did make a mistake and have the WB on auto but thought it would be an issue as I was shooting RAW and I have never had this kind of variation in good sunlight.

1. Correct colours as far as I can tell

2. Incorrect Colours and the pic is still overexposed (will fix that) - the safron robes and turbans are just wrong. The OOC jpegs are just the same as the LR PP files

Setting the correct WB doesn't make any difference and without a reasonably colour accurate monitor I'm just not able to fiddle around with LR enough to even attempt a proper fix.

Is this a metering issue .. where I've stuck to tried and tested spot metering ?

Cheers

HArj

PS

It was on these pics that I noticed that with C1 that there seemed to be slightly better detail than LR and less artifacts when viewing at 100%, detail in the shadows appears to be better in C1 as well. Go a bit crazy and silly, and go to 200% and C1 the pic's still look artificate free and good but LR, theres a noticeable drop in IQ not that your ever going to be printing or veiewing them at that size!

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:09 PM   #2

Hi Harj,
I'm not technical by a very long shot but I noticed that just dropping the hue and saturation a little bit completely changed the color closer to what you thought it should be.
I wasn't trying to make it perfect, just tried moving the hue a little and noticed it helped some. I'm sure someone will give you the answer you're looking for.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:34 PM   #3

Hi Eric

Thanks for having a stab at getting at trying to fix it.. i'm in the same boat as you as I don;tknow enough technically about how to go about fixing colour variation like this. I'd always assumed that as long as you got the correct exposure and shot RAW+jpeg, the raws would always help to safe the day if you screwed up. That always seemed to work uptill this particaulr event.

I'm going to give the hue and satuaration a go and see if I can coax something better out of the RAW but I'm concerend that would also knock out the skin tone.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:53 AM   #4

used a plugin called Color Mechanic
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5

hey Riley

That doesnt look too bad at all, so I'll have to have a look at that wee plugin. I think I've found a way to get the colours in LR fairly close to your pic but I'm just not too sure about the skin tones.

Now my question is how do you avoid getting into a situation where the variation in colour is that much esp when shots are taken just seconds apart and even with the RAW its not a simple fix ? What's puzzling to me is why I'd changed the shutter speed so much - from 1/1250 down to 1/500s.

Cheers

harj
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:20 AM   #6

no idea myself
I tried white balance as I have the bets WB tools on the planet, but that didnt seem to work. However I did discover that the white sashes are blown almost everywhere you look, materially that seems to be the only difference.

Given that inf and the difference in shutter speed, Id say it was overexposed where naturally bright orange turns to yellow on the verges of overexposure with perhaps a more problematic background.

Indeed if you have enough control to reduce the intensity of the highlights you can see how that might work out, at least on the tunic but not the headwear.

To avoid you have to know its going to happen and where its going wrong, IMO thats not going to be easy. Where there many frames like this, or just this one. Is it possible you half pressed on the frame before and that fluffed the exposure?

BTW having your thumb over the sword hilt is a no-no while standing to order

Last edited by Rriley; Jun 10, 2011 at 3:16 AM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote