Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:58 PM   #1

Default E-300 .. replaced the broken card cover

The card cover of my E-300 fell loose when the 'snap' tabs broke a year ago. I never asked Olympus what the cost would be to replace the part; certain that I did not want to spend $100 or more.

So, since last July 4th I've had a band-aid (literally) holding the trap door closed.

I sent an email to Gray at USCamera a while back to ask him if he had the cover, his answer was, "......soon" .... last week I looked and there it was, ordered it and today I fixed the E-300. Total cost $13.83 ($9.83 + $4.00 ship fee).

A big shout-out here to Gray and his online only store at USCamera http://uscamera.com/. Sometime back I repaired my FL-36 with the lock ring assembly from USCamera. Good guy, OEM parts, quick to ship and accepts PayPal so no hangup waiting for pay to clear.

To fix th E-300 I found a link and downloaded the Olympus exploded view pdf, found it here http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=21905 and notice there is the exploded view for the E-1 also. Both have the OEM parts numbers and complete views.

For my task here are a couple photos of the job, about 10 minutes actual time to replace the card door, of course messing with the pictures stretched it to an hour.

......the band-aid

....the broken tabs

....the exploded view of the area to be worked

....ready to begin the task, the Dr Pepper is out of sight but it is handy

....the screws holding the back half shell to the chasis are removed and ready to swap the part. I actually did not remove the back half because the cover side opened to where the hinge pin was removed and inserted into the new cover and replaced into the camera shell. The shell opening only needs to be 1/16 inch, there was plenty of shell-split room to do the replace without removing the entire shell.

....the new card cover in place and ALLLLL the screws are back where they came from; the part replacement is done

....the rubber thumb rest must be removed; see the screw which is under it. The adhesive I had from a previous usage, it should hold ok, the other fix from the previous need is still in place.

DONE !!!!!! Gosh, I wish I had cleaned the goop left from the band-aid... it is now cleaned away.

It was way too hot here today to be outside so this project was kind'a like that rainy day one.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:12 PM   #2

Good job, Bob, and thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of them before.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:09 AM   #3

I would dare not to open my camera myself. You are a brave man. Thanks for sharing the link though.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:52 AM   #4

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the repair series. Glad you got 'er fixed.
Your photos of your repair (which included the IMac) prompted me to think about the Apple announcement I just received about their new OS-Lion due out in July. The reason I mentioned it is that in the video, their wireless track pad is prominently featured.
Like you, I use the wireless mouse, but after seeing the video, I'm going to get me a track pad. Looks really easy to use.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Like you, I use the wireless mouse, but after seeing the video, I'm going to get me a track pad. Looks really easy to use.

Zig
Dunno about the Apple one, but I've always found that dragging someting with a the trackpad that comes with most laptops, takes a lot of practice to become accurate.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:33 AM   #6

Good job, Bob! I don't don't know if I'd attempt a repair like that or not before I read this thread. I think I would now. Thanks!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:11 AM   #7

.......I'm glad to have the repair done, it was just a matter of deciding to do it and once I found the layout diagram it was easy.

I've done these kinds of things since I was a kid growing up on a farm where we did all our own repair regardless of what it was. The years I was racing desert & MX motorcycles, I wrenched my own. I built & maintained my Heathkit, solid state gear, HAM radio station which I operated for 22-years..... fixing or permanently breaking things has been fun for me for 60+ years.

That the Olympus parts diagrams for the E-300 & the E-1 are available and may help someone else was my main message of the post.

Zig, I very nearly put the track-scratcher on the MAC-mini station when I built it a few months ago BUTTTTT those things don't really appeal to me and like Ted said, it reminds me of the laptop which I alway put a mouse to rather than be irritated with the scratcher. Instead, I have one listed on my 'get me this' list for any who wonder (Bonnie) what I might like at gift time, she usually looks at the list.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:45 PM   #8

Hi Ted/Bob,

Like you, I've never been a really big fan of track pads on laptops. But, my understanding, in looking at the OSX-Lion video, is that Apple has made some very significant changes to the operation of the track pad. So much so, that I'm hoping to have when it is available in July..

I'll let you know.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Zig, the trackpad has been available for several months and does the same 'tricks' with the current OS. Getcha one now.

I will definitely upgrade my two MACs to Lion, day one.... Just added another $50 iTunes gift card to my account. Fun that it cost $30 to change OS when Microsoft makes it nearly impossible to do so at $$$.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 10, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:49 PM   #10

BoBB: what great timing of your post. The same tab on the door of my E-330 recently broke. I secured mine with a small piece of black electricians tape. The door looks identical to your E-300. When I get a chance I think I will follow your example. Thanks for such an informative post.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote