Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:24 PM   #1

Default So I went to fix my boat....and got sidetracked!

Got my boat in Earl's yard the weekend, he considers it an easy fix to do, so I'm really heartened about that.

Went up this morning to do a bit of prep work on it and saw these 3 guys up behind the boat watching me. So I climbed back down the ladder, grabbed the camera and changed to the (Newly fixed 70-300) and snuck up to the wooded area I saw them go in.

They'll never hear me...right?

1/ Da boat..."Before" shot.

2/ I guess I did surprise them. Momma and twins.

3/ Hey! Where did every one go?
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:41 PM   #2

It's surprising how close I was to these fellers. The first and last were at 'about' 70mm while #2-3 were cropped in to about 215mm.

1/ I doubled back to the boat and they where close.
But he was standing in Earl's burn pile and it looks, well ugly..

2/ Ooops, hello.

3/ Now what do I do ma..?

4/Come over here son.

They"re wet because the grass is taller than them and we'd just had a shower.
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:50 PM   #3

Wow! Great shots. And I've been meaning to ask you about what's happening with the repair on your sailboat.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:50 PM   #4

.....well, the lens is fixed for sure. Great shots. Glad Earl has a grip on getting the Scouse fixed.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Got my boat in Earl's yard the weekend, he considers it an easy fix to do, so I'm really heartened about that.
Ken, how on earth were you able to tow her through the water with a hole that large below the waterline?

Ted
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Thanks guys.
It was kinda wild Ted. But once I pumped her out at the beach she came right up and my temp repair held up just fine.
I'd laid towels along the rip and hole put boat cushions over, then a strip of plywood about a foot wide and 7ft long on top of that, The I put a lot of 2x4's diagonally across the inside of the hull and scewed everything together. I was bloody icy in there but I hauled a honda genset aboard and put a pump from a "septic tank" (1/2 horse) in the boat. That dried her out really fast, never took on another drop in the 50 miles to the marina. She'd been totally under water for 4 or 5 tides.

So, Wadda ya think of my Bambi shots...guess I should have made separate threads.

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7

Great shots of the fawns and quite a hole in the boat to fix. Lens appears to be working very well, the little guys very photogenic
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 2:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Thanks guys.
It was kinda wild Ted. But once I pumped her out at the beach she came right up and my temp repair held up just fine.
I'd laid towels along the rip and hole put boat cushions over, then a strip of plywood about a foot wide and 7ft long on top of that, The I put a lot of 2x4's diagonally across the inside of the hull and scewed everything together. I was bloody icy in there but I hauled a honda genset aboard and put a pump from a "septic tank" (1/2 horse) in the boat. That dried her out really fast, never took on another drop in the 50 miles to the marina. She'd been totally under water for 4 or 5 tides.

So, Wadda ya think of my Bambi shots...guess I should have made separate threads.
50 miles with that repair? At what, maybe 5 knots? I'm impressed. When you made it to the marina did you lay down and bond with solid ground? (I did that once after bringing in a friend's 26' sailboat, upwind with a 3hp outboard against 4' waves. )

My friends all would say, "Bambi is tooooo cute" (That's meant in a good sense.) I just forgot to say that those are terrific - I'd be real proud to have shot them.

Ted
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
50 miles with that repair? At what, maybe 5 knots? I'm impressed. When you made it to the marina did you lay down and bond with solid ground? (I did that once after bringing in a friend's 26' sailboat, upwind with a 3hp outboard against 4' waves. )

My friends all would say, "Bambi is tooooo cute" (That's meant in a good sense.) I just forgot to say that those are terrific - I'd be real proud to have shot them.

Ted
Actually it was blowing quite hard, with waves right up the butt. Couple of times I surfed up alongside the towboat. Quite an exhilarating trip. Never felt I was in any danger though.
Turned into the marina and it was so serene and peaceful. The staff there were great and waiting on the dock with the hoist, they'd kept in touch by mobile phone.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:11 PM   #10

Wow all around, to both the story and the deer shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote