Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:29 AM   #1

Default Telephoto Add-ons?

Does anyone use these add-on lenses?

I would really love a teleconverter but at 400+ there's a snowball in hells chance of me getting one anytime soon but a telephoto add-on I can afford?

What are your thoughts?

I probably alrady know what you're going to say but I thought I would ask none the less!
SamJuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:46 AM   #2

My second DSLR was the Oly E20, which has an awesome but non-removable zoom lens. I got the Oly add-on wide angle and telephoto extender lenses and the IQ of the photos using them were always equal to the IQ without them, so my experience with the Oly add-ons was excellent. What you do have to be careful of, is not to add one to a zoom lens whose front element moves when zooming or focusing; only use one on a prime or a zoom that has internal focus and zoom. The add-on lenses are heavy and over time could harm the lens physically (cause it to become mis-aligned).

Also, an add-on telephoto can only be used at the long end of a zoom lens' range. As you reduce the fl of the zoom the add-on will cause severe vignetting. I never found that to be a problem, though. With the add-on installed the zoom lens simply becomes a prime lens.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks, pretty much what I thought......better start saving! LOL

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Sam, please understand that the Oly one works very well. You just need the right lens to put it on, and internal focus and zoom lenses unfortunately are usually top of the line lenses, in Oly's case they are only the SHG lenses as far as I know. (And not all of those either - the 14-35 moves its front element a little when you zoom it across its range.) And of course, if you could afford the SHG glass we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If anyone has a lens with a 62mm filter size that doesn't move its front element and wants to try one, I have the TCON-14B telephoto and WCON-08B wide angle converters that I don't use. If you want to try one send me a PM. The model numbers on those lenses actually have meaning: the WCON-08B reduces the focal length to 80% of the lens its on, and the TCON-14B increases the focal length to 145% of the lens its on. They're works of art as lenses go.

Ted

PS: Are Sam Juggins and Thunderchild the same person?
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

PS: Are Sam Juggins and Thunderchild the same person?
Yes, not sure why it logged me in as Sam Juggins!

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:15 AM   #6

I have the tcon 17 which works great on my SP560 bridge camera using an extension tube.
I tried it on the 510 with the 70 300 using a stepdown ring and it worked there as well. However the extra weight makes the motor work very hard when focusing. This is what it looked like with the tcon attached. A lot of lens for the camera to deal with but it did work.
I ended up buying the EC14 which is better in all respects.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote