Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:40 AM   #1

Default Not a good day in Texas

This is a link to a report on ESPN regarding a fan falling out of the stands yesterday at a Rangers game in Arlington. Unfortunately, he didn't survive the fall.
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...e=MLBHeadlines

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:31 AM   #2

Everything about this is a tragedy, but to me the worst part is the memory the son will carry in his life - going from heaven to hell in 3 seconds.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:16 AM   #3

Really terrible. Heard about this on the radio this morning. tragic accident. I just hope MLB doesn't overreact though. But truly tragic for everyone involved.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:15 AM   #4

Really tragic. And the victim was a Lt. with a fire department, and from his photo looked to be in good shape.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5

.....one of my good friends, an Arlington firefighter, is an EMS medic supervisor for the Rangers' games, Scott was working last nights game. My grandson is a paramedic working for the Arlington EMS, he does work the Arlington games but was not there last night.

The firefighter who fell was a member of the Brownwood, TX fire department, 150-mi SW of Arlington, he was 39-yrs old.

@John, I too hope MLB doesn't overreact to this. The throwing of baseballs into the stands has been accepted so well the past couple years and there have been times I've wondered about the safety of it. Last night the fellow was reaching for a ball that was tossed into the stands by Rangers player Josh Hamilton.

Already this year there has been at least one other fan to fall, I believe in Milwaukee. About exactly one year ago a fan fell in Arlington, reaching for a pop-foul ball, onto seats below the upper deck, he survived, ironically he too was a firefighter from out of town.

NOTE: I responded here before reading the link from Zig, most of this is redundant to that.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:52 AM   #6

Yep, I was at that game vs. Pittsburgh last July 6 when the guy fell out of the second deck into one section over and maybe 20-25 rows behind where I was sitting. He had his back to the field and jumped up trying to catch a ball bouncing back towards the field, lost his balance and fell over the railing. Tragic for sure and absolutely not smart.

Looks like the same scenario last night. Sounds like the guy was in the ambulance and died of a heart attack on the way to the hospital. A baseball just is not worth the antics some are willing to go through to try and get one. Go to the shop at the ballpark and just buy one.

Last Friday night I sat in row one of the club(second) level where the fan fell from last year. There are signs on row 1's all over the stadium that clearly warn you to not lean over the railing, which the guy in left field DID last night trying to catch the ball Hamilton threw. The ball was thrown short and he should not have leaned over like he did. When one is sitting in their seat, the bars cannot be set any higher than they are or you wind up having an obstructed view from row one, when the entire reason for wanting a row one seat is to not have some guy 6' 8'' tall sitting in front of you and blocking half the field.

No doubt some group will come forward and say not enough protection is there for the fans when the truth of the matter is there's enough there for normal fans. You can only idiot-proof a stadium so far, short of putting up chicken wire all over the stands so no one can fall out and no batted or thown balls can hit anyone.

The girl in the article who fell back in 1994 did so while SITTING on the railing in the upper right-field porch to have her picture made with her back to the field. Again, not supposed to do that. Of course, that part of it was not mentioned in the ESPN article.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:40 PM   #7

Greg I suspect this latest guy wasn't drinking too much beer since he had his son with him - I'm guessing he really wanted his son to see him catch a ball and give it to him. That's what makes this really tragic to me.

And yes, y'all will have to fight off demands to make the stadium idiot-proof. At the Grand Canyon they've put railings at the tourist spots but there are places not indicated on tourist maps where you can walk out on a narrow cliff hundreds of feet in the air - an unforgetable experience assuming you don't fall. Not everything in life should be idiot-proof.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:04 PM   #8

If anything, I would guess the guy there last night was drinking Dr. Pepper or Coke. I don't doubt that at all. He just lost all sense of sensibility when it came to leaning over the rail.

Speaking of the Grand Canyon, there's a guy sitting in jail up in Collin County (just north of Dallas) for killing his ex-girlfriend not too long ago. The police caught up to him at the Grand Canyon, where he jumped the cliff in an attempt to flee! He now wears a neck brace.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote