Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:42 PM   #1

Default ....another day, another park

The largest city park in Arlington is a 1300-acre area http://www.riverlegacy.org/ that I'd never been to.

I suppose it was enough to know it was there if I ever decided to visit and ended up putting it off until yesterday, now I am hooked to go there often.

This fall I am determined to find and photograph a Devil's Cigar http://www.riverlegacy.org/index.php...article&id=141

For my first trip I took along the E-3, 14-54 and 50-200 and made a 3-mile hike through the bush along the hike trail which totals 5+ miles, then stopped by the Living Science Center for a look around.

FUN morning for sure, in @ 0600 and out by 0930 ... then it got hot (105 F all afternoon until 1900 hrs when the Rangers baseball game started, I was on the couch at 77F)

...... 50-200 @ 50mm f/11 ISO-1600

...... 14-54 @ 14mm f/7.1 ISO-400

...... 14-54 @ 19mm f/11 ISO-400

...... 14-54 @ 54mm f/8 ISO-100

...... 50-200 @ 200mm f/5.6 ISO-800

...... 50-200 @ 158mm f/3.2 ISO-800

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:22 PM   #2

Nice shots Bob. This Devils cigar is really interesting. A fungus that hisses ?? Nice shots and interesting story
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:40 PM   #3

Very nice! For about 5 years I lived off Green Oaks Blvd in an apartment complex that had a back entrance into River Legacy Park, just up the street from that little complex where you were. My daughter loved going there and I used to ride my bike in there every evening.

Right now it's too miserable hot to stay anywhere outdoors too long.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:13 PM   #4

Really good to see you posting again; interesting shots, well done.

(105 F is kinda warm. Stay by the air conditioner. Most folks don't realize that Florida is cooler than the Midwest in the summertime. I remember when I was traveling extensively in my work that I would routinely be in triple digits out there. It made coming home to 90 degrees with an ocean breeze seem practically cool.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:48 PM   #5

....thanks for the comments

When I tell people that I grew up farming and working the corn & hay fields 12-14 hrs in SW Iowa at 100+ some who've never been there during the heat of summer seem to doubt how hot upper midwest US can be.

When I recall that the humidity in the corn fields sometimes was near 100% with 100+ temp those sun up to sun down days are best remembered that dinner (noon) everyday rivaled our now holiday only meals and mid-afternoon break was leftover fried chicken, biscuits & cornbread, ace'tea and FRESH crullers.

So, it is really hot here this summer but still 'a walk in the park' compared to hot summers memories.

Tomorrow morning I am going to the lake for a couple hours, I think the yacht club has something going on.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:52 AM   #6

I grew up on a farm as well Bob but in NY you didn't worry about the heat as much as it not raining when you were trying to hay it. When I was real young we had wire bailers and you had to tie the wire. They were still using dump rakes in some areas.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:05 AM   #7

Eric, I done did all that...... I left home in 1956, haven't punched a bale since.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:14 AM   #8

Bob, I really, really like #2. It combines beauty and contrast in materials and colors, with a bit of an air of mystery - you want to see where that path is going. It's also a great example that the rule of thirds exists to be broken.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:22 AM   #9

Thanks Ted, I am going to remake the bridge shot & print it @ 11x14 or larger, I like this best of the ones I made but the signage has to go and I think I can do it with the camera and angle change, otherwise the shot from in tighter that avoids the sign is pretty nice too.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:28 AM   #10

I would keep everything the same, just swing that gate in a bit so the sign disappears.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote