Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:26 PM   #1

Default Guess whooo.....whooo.

Oly E-520, 70-300mm, f8 1/50sec at ISO 400.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2011, 3:44 PM   #2

wise guy
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:37 PM   #3

Excellent composition Steven. Great Shot. It looks like owl has pair of horns. Also, the eyes are so focused, I could see he starring at me. Great one, I really enjoyed.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4

Me ... Me ...

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:23 PM   #5

WOW! Great shot Steven, nicely caught. Whatever you said to him really made him mad. Looking at Folob's looks like they're always mad.

We used to get them around here but it's been a while. You could always tell when they were in the trees here, the crows would kick up such a ruckus. They do like to pick off crows at night and that makes the crows mad!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:57 AM   #6

Excellent shots!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:52 AM   #7

+1 - these are excellent shots. Brought back a memory of one time last year when I was driving on a country road at night. A large owl from someplace up high to my left, saw a meal on the ground on the right side of the road and flew down right across my windshield. Scared the crap out of me.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 12, 2011 at 5:54 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:12 AM   #8

Nice shot. I still haven't come across an owl when I have my camera with me. I hear them in the woods all the time but never close enough to get shots of. I like your shot, owls are very photogenic, nice one.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
+1 - these are excellent shots. Brought back a memory of one time last year when I was driving on a country road at night. A large owl from someplace up high to my left, saw a meal on the ground on the right side of the road and flew down right across my windshield. Scared the crap out of me.

Ted
That would be very scary on a dark road, would definitely wake you up if you were sleepy!!

A few month ago a teenager driving in the subdivision one evening when the car was hit hard on the front fender by an owl. The owl apparently was concentrating on diving down on a target food source that was beside the road when the car drove right into his flight path. Hit so hard it put a big dent in the fender and killed the owl. The teenager would not drive away until she called the parents to come look, fearing that they would never believe that the big dent in the car was not her fault.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:23 PM   #10

Great shot folob, your overall lighting of his head feathers is more even than mine.
(I had a strong beam of sunlight shining down on the right side of the picture which keep trying to wash out the right side of the top of his head.)

How to turn an owl into a demonic demon: Just turn on your flash at 1/4 power to fill in the shadows a little, usually that works well in shooting animals. But I'm shooting this bird at the full 300mm and his eyes are so powerful that they fully catch even that weak flash.

Last edited by Steven R; Jul 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM.