Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Great shots, I love the carousel and pop corn building. I grew up with carousels. There are still 4 or 5 in the Binghamton area.
Eric
When I was trying to find out if the Park Service also operates the carousel on the National Mall (the NPS operating 2 of them would have been beyond funny but apparently it doesn't) I came across a web site done by carousel aficionados that lists all the ones they know of, and there are a lot more around than I realized. Including a number of ones that are fairly new.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:36 AM   #12

....I've a SW-piece that I used to recover a card full of data for my daughter but I don't want to mess with it. The only files that were meaningful were of the bridge without the 'hours signage' and that is so easy to do again.

Yep, most 'lost data' is only 'misplaced', amazing that so many believe deleting the tags solves there want for privacy, I for one believe this is a good thing. Not a lot of people know what low-level formatting is about, nor what binary-zero data are, or isn't, and for discarding media hardware what a drill motor is good for.

I really do like your bridge shot, it seems to not lead to anywhere..... I see a stone wall at the end of it, love it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:37 PM   #13

Ted, here's a link to some shots a local took of the carousels in the Binghamton area.

www.pbase.com/jrconw/carousels_of_binghamton_ny
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....I've a SW-piece that I used to recover a card full of data for my daughter but I don't want to mess with it. The only files that were meaningful were of the bridge without the 'hours signage' and that is so easy to do again.

Yep, most 'lost data' is only 'misplaced', amazing that so many believe deleting the tags solves there want for privacy, I for one believe this is a good thing. Not a lot of people know what low-level formatting is about, nor what binary-zero data are, or isn't, and for discarding media hardware what a drill motor is good for.

I really do like your bridge shot, it seems to not lead to anywhere..... I see a stone wall at the end of it, love it.
Yep I'm with you on your data observations.

I'm laughing about your observation about the bridge shot. Since I knew the path turns left at the end of the bridge I just didn't see what you saw. So you caused me to look at the photo in a very different way. Thanks!

Ted
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Ted, here's a link to some shots a local took of the carousels in the Binghamton area.

www.pbase.com/jrconw/carousels_of_binghamton_ny
Oooookay, Eric, there's something interesting going on here, that I'm not sure I understand: I like carousels but for me what's happening in your area at this very moment is way way different.

My lineage of Buddhism has a major Buddhist Center near McDonough, just up the road from Binghamton. There's a major (huge) teaching event going on there right now, with Buddhist Lamas from India and half of the congregation of our Temple from down here in the DC area (including my wife).

In my religion there is no such thing as a coincidence. So what's going on in this thread between you and me?

Ted
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:02 PM   #16

Well Ted I'm not budist, but not only do I know the center you speak of, I grew up within a mile or two of it as the crow flies. I went to Smithville Flats school when I was young and graduated from Greene in the 60s. I was friends with the Marsh family who had a farm on the road the temple is on and they bought that land last year. I know that entire area very well. 5 streams, the Marshes, Colemans, Hoffmans, they all lived or live, right next to where the temple is. I've probably walked where you've walked or are going to be walking 55 years ago.
I live 2 1/2 hours from there now.
Smithville was a very poor town and we had a three room schoolhouse. Here's my 1st grade class picture : )
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:30 AM   #17

Eric, thanks for that info. As I said, quite a coincidence!

I haven't been up there in quite a while - my job doesn't really allow me to take off for 5 weeks for a retreat (especially before they got decent internet service up there) so I've been one of the folks maintaining the operation at our Temple down here while others go up. But I do think Greene is a classic picturesque New England town.

Ted

PS: The Temple there hasn't changed the land much - it's still as beautiful as you remember it:
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 16, 2011 at 7:05 AM.