Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:50 PM   #1

Default My First BU&D

as in Bird Up And Down:

This would be because Ostrich's don't fly, they just go up and down. That's what this one does:

Ooookay, this is all about the original amusement park in DC, called Glen Echo Park, which began in 1891 (and had one of the first bumper car pavilions in the world, which should elevate it to a pilgrimage site for Steven R.). The original entrance is gone but the 1940's art deco entrance survives:

Folks arrived by trolley (which presumably were in better shape than the one now parked there). The reason I went there was to photograph the 1921 Dentzel Carousel.

Yeah, that last photo is pretty busy, but there's not much I could do about that flat lighting. Glen Echo Park is a National Park and national historical landmark so the Carousel is operated by the US government - the National Park Service - and provides enjoyment to lots of childern and adults. (OK, don't tell me you can't think of a lot of other ways our govt spends our tax money with much less benefit to the public .)

In case Steven R. doesn't realize it, we do have wild animals here :

All of the animals were lovingly restored starting in the 1970s. The carousel also has the original automatic Wurlitzer organ:

The art deco buildings do survive:

And just so Bob B doesn't feel left out, the pedestrian entrance is over a nice bridge (but not as nice as his in Texas):

Thanks for looking.

Ted

PS: The Dentzel company originated in Germany and one of the sons emigrated to the US and started a company here that produced this carousel. The company is still producing carousels.

PPS: this park was created where a sream entered the Potomac River, the Minihaha Creek. I say that because y'all are going to acuse me of making that name up, but I didn't.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:05 PM   #2

....I live 1-block off Potomac Pkwy and I know a crik at the end of Potomac I am renaming Minihaha.

The bridge, well let me tell you I was back at the park this morning and coming out I stopped by the bridge, yep I swung the gate to-a-bit and made some more shots of it negating the sign.......... I just now erased the card in the E-300 which was the camera I had the 14-54 attached. I never copied off the files from the E-300 after doing the other camera. GOTTA GO BACK SOMETIME, plus I had some really good stuff in those files I made at 0630-0830 in 90F heat. DANG IT!!!!!

I really like your carousel shots, are these from the E-5, very nice images and I love the PoP CoRN bldg, when you are as old as I am 'Art Deco' is meaningful.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:10 PM   #3

I love the carousel !

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:45 PM   #4

Thanks, guys! I don't get out much...

Ted
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Thanks, guys! I don't get out much...

Ted
Nice series Ted, glad you got out. Some really good shots.

(But You didn't tell us how many times you rode the carousel ???)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:11 PM   #6

Great shots, I love the carousel and pop corn building. I grew up with carousels. There are still 4 or 5 in the Binghamton area.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Nice series Ted, glad you got out. Some really good shots.

(But You didn't tell us how many times you rode the carousel ???)
You are really bad.

Three times. I loved it.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

You are really bad.

Three times. I loved it.
Well the next time I am in the area, I'm going to ride it 4 times so I will have bragging rights!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Well the next time I am in the area, I'm going to ride it 4 times so I will have bragging rights!
Yeah, you'll have braggin rights over some of the kids but not over others. Do you want me to set up a chart?

Ted
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....I live 1-block off Potomac Pkwy and I know a crik at the end of Potomac I am renaming Minihaha.

The bridge, well let me tell you I was back at the park this morning and coming out I stopped by the bridge, yep I swung the gate to-a-bit and made some more shots of it negating the sign.......... I just now erased the card in the E-300 which was the camera I had the 14-54 attached. I never copied off the files from the E-300 after doing the other camera. GOTTA GO BACK SOMETIME, plus I had some really good stuff in those files I made at 0630-0830 in 90F heat. DANG IT!!!!!

I really like your carousel shots, are these from the E-5, very nice images and I love the PoP CoRN bldg, when you are as old as I am 'Art Deco' is meaningful.
Bob, there are freeware apps that can recover deleted files on flash cards - I'll bet you can download one from Sandisk. Like with hard drives, as long as you haven't saved new files or reformatted it, you have a chance of recovering the files.

Ted