Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Always good to see honest perspective of pros/cons. I think there will always be things Oly did better - wishful thinking to believe Nikon will adapt some of those. But, I also think once you start using some of Nikon's better glass you may feel more positive about sharpness. Still, I suspect you may never feel nikon lenses live up to the Oly standard.

As to focus performance - it's always difficult or impossible for someone to appreciate a better focus system until they use it first-hand. Just think about this though - the d90 still represents nikon's 3rd tier focus system and look how good it is! But it's difficult to appreciate just from viewing photos. You have to use it to appreciate how much easier it makes your job when shooting moving subjects.

Truth be told, if someone handed me a check for $12k I'd switch from my current canon gear to nikon Really like what they're doing vs. the rest of the DSLR world!

Hi John,

You hit it right on the head, I too, would love to have someone donate some serious money to me or maybe hit the lottery (that will never happen as I don't play). That's why I ended up with the D90. It was a matter of what I could justify.

Kidding aside for a moment, I evaluated what I thought I really needed and had to be honest to myself that as much as I love shooting birds, I'll never make any serious money selling my bird photographs. However, I'm doing pretty well in the local galleries selling matted prints of landscapes, seascapes and other photographs that visitors coming here to the Cape buy as something to remember their visit here. In that area, my Olympus equipment is fine.

So, a refurbed D90 and perhaps a reasonably priced used long telephoto will be about as far as I realistically can go.

Boy, if the D90's AF system is 3rd tier, I'd get absolutely giddy if I had something better.


Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Tek/Eric,

Well, so far, I haven't got any hate mail from anyone as yet for going over to the dark side.
The Dark Side is DPR, not Nikon, and if you posted this at DPR you probably would get hate mail. Fortunately the participants in this forum are adults not children.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 722
Default

I can send you a couple nasty hate mails if you want them Zig : ) I like all cameras so I don't get defensive when others are used. But we do know a forum don't we, where Oly is beat on daily in their own forum : )
Question; The 70 300 is quite temperamental when it comes to locking on BIFs. Is it much better with faster glass like the 50 200 or is the Nikon just much easier to lock on period.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
I can send you a couple nasty hate mails if you want them Zig : ) I like all cameras so I don't get defensive when others are used. But we do know a forum don't we, where Oly is beat on daily in their own forum : )
Question; The 70 300 is quite temperamental when it comes to locking on BIFs. Is it much better with faster glass like the 50 200 or is the Nikon just much easier to lock on period.
Eric
Hi Eric,

Yes, the 70-300mm Oly is a light hog (and i say that lovingly as it is a great lens for the money). I can only comment on the 50-200 Ed lens, since that's the one I own, but that lens is significantly faster to focus than thew Oly 70-300mm.

Now, on the D90, I put on a friends old Nikkor 70-300mm 4-5.6 ED lens. The older version with out VR- Nikons version of image stabilization. I would compare it to the Oly 70-300mm.

And yet, the D90 performed much better than my E-30 regardless if i used the 70-300 or the 50-200lens

It is not so much that it is light years faster, but once the lens is focused, it stays locked onto the bird in flight.

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 722
Default

Now I understand what you're saying. Yes one of the issues with my 510 and 70 300 is once I lock on it is very easy to get off subject and immediately lose focus. Then it goes through the entire cycle again, a real pain.
They didn't have this issue 65 million years ago when the pterodactyl lived. You could lock on focus and keep it there, kinda like a 747 taking off : )
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:20 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
They didn't have this issue 65 million years ago when the pterodactyl lived. You could lock on focus and keep it there, kinda like a 747 taking off : )
In MY DAY, we used to hold up two pieces of glass and burn the image into our eye balls. And we LIKED IT (I'm guessing this reference may be lost on a lot of readers but it seemed appropriate some how.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
In MY DAY, we used to hold up two pieces of glass and burn the image into our eye balls. And we LIKED IT (I'm guessing this reference may be lost on a lot of readers but it seemed appropriate some how.
You have to be an SNL devotee to understand that one
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:58 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 134
Default

Hey Zig,

Congratulations on the D90 purchase. My review of D7000 is pending and will do it hopefully soon. The D7000 is actually the replacement model for D90 and boy I have been impressed by the AF. I dont have the long zoom lens yet but that is my next item in the wish list.

The one downside with Nikon is the unavailability of lenses the quality of Oly. There is no replacement of 50 - 200mm SWD. The closest in Nikon is 70 - 200mm 2.8 but its nearly double the price of Oly's 50 - 200 SWD and is 100mm short at the long end. So one has to really think several times before deciding upon which Nikon glass they want to purchase.
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default More tales from the Dark Side.

Hi Zig.

I just wanted to weigh in with a lens recommendation for your BIF shots, and bird shooting in general.

The 300 f4 (current generation) is lightning fast in autofocus, both with and without the 1.4 teleconverter. It is sharp, light, quite compact, and 420mm with the converter. It is the lens Oly could have made a killing with if they would have released it along with the E-1. They would have made a wildlife package that would have had others scrambling.

Just to show what the top shelf Nikon AF can do (it still astounds me) is a sequence I posted on the Nikon forum here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...-sequence.html

It can do this all day long, its no fluke.

Oly has its advantages. Glass is top on that list. Ease in post is right up there too. I still trust Oly's E-x weather sealing, especially when lens/body are taken as a whole. There's more too.

Good luck with the two system approach. I still need to sell some more Oly kit to try to fill in the many holes in the Nikon glass lineup. I just got the E-5 back from a month long wait at Oly service center. Part of me thinks to hold on to it (its resolution is on a par with the D3s), but I think its best to narrow down to one system.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:25 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Hi Zig.

I just wanted to weigh in with a lens recommendation for your BIF shots, and bird shooting in general.

The 300 f4 (current generation) is lightning fast in autofocus, both with and without the 1.4 teleconverter. It is sharp, light, quite compact, and 420mm with the converter. It is the lens Oly could have made a killing with if they would have released it along with the E-1. They would have made a wildlife package that would have had others scrambling.

Just to show what the top shelf Nikon AF can do (it still astounds me) is a sequence I posted on the Nikon forum here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...-sequence.html

It can do this all day long, its no fluke.

Oly has its advantages. Glass is top on that list. Ease in post is right up there too. I still trust Oly's E-x weather sealing, especially when lens/body are taken as a whole. There's more too.

Good luck with the two system approach. I still need to sell some more Oly kit to try to fill in the many holes in the Nikon glass lineup. I just got the E-5 back from a month long wait at Oly service center. Part of me thinks to hold on to it (its resolution is on a par with the D3s), but I think its best to narrow down to one system.

As someone who has tried to do with birds, what you just did in your running dog sequence, I fully appreciate just how good that AF system is in the D3s.
Realizing, of course, the ability of the person holding the camera has a lot to do with the final result. None the less, I could NEVER achieve that kind of AF accuracy with any of the 3 Olympus dslrs I've owned.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:38 PM.