Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeshane View Post
Hey Zig,

Congratulations on the D90 purchase. My review of D7000 is pending and will do it hopefully soon. The D7000 is actually the replacement model for D90 and boy I have been impressed by the AF. I dont have the long zoom lens yet but that is my next item in the wish list.

The one downside with Nikon is the unavailability of lenses the quality of Oly. There is no replacement of 50 - 200mm SWD. The closest in Nikon is 70 - 200mm 2.8 but its nearly double the price of Oly's 50 - 200 SWD and is 100mm short at the long end. So one has to really think several times before deciding upon which Nikon glass they want to purchase.
Thanks,

I can appreciate your situation as I bought the body only and am still evaluating wether my initial purchase will be that of a zoom or a prime.

After what Greg has posted, a prime and a telecon will most probably be the path I'll take.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:51 PM   #22

Default D3s specs

Yikes Greg,

I just finished reading the specs on the D3s. All I can say is that we're not even on the same planet when it comes to capabilities of the camera body- let alone lenses

You REALLY must be having some fun with your new kit.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post

Just to show what the top shelf Nikon AF can do (it still astounds me) is a sequence I posted on the Nikon forum here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...-sequence.html

Part of me thinks to hold on to it (its resolution is on a par with the D3s), but I think its best to narrow down to one system.
That is one awesome series! Wow!

+1 on the narrowing down to one system IMO.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:26 PM   #24

The D3s is a fantastic camera. And that is what a true pro level sport camera can do, it is a top notch AF system that most do not get to use to often due to price.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The D3s is a fantastic camera. And that is what a true pro level sport camera can do, it is a top notch AF system that most do not get to use to often due to price.
I recommend NOT trying out the system if you get a chance. I spent 15 minutes with a D3X a year and a half ago and never got the focus performance out of my head. I finally buckled and got the D3s when it seemed clear to me that Olympus no longer believed in the 4/3 mount and I wasn't in love with their micro system.

It's cost is beyond the price difference in bodies. Those Nikkors cost plenty too.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yikes Greg,

I just finished reading the specs on the D3s. All I can say is that we're not even on the same planet when it comes to capabilities of the camera body- let alone lenses

You REALLY must be having some fun with your new kit.

Zig
The D3s is a special camera. Its the king among hi ISO cameras, its the king of the C-AF too. It shoud be very good for the price.... and it is.

Funny how you can have an instrument like that and still have a desire from the E-5, but I do. I like the 4:3 format way more than the 2:3, especially in portrait layout. Still love the "Snap" the E-5 photos have too.

The 300 f2.8 on the E5 tops the 600 f4 in reach with teleconverters, and the weight of the D3s/600mm is nasty. I was looking at a image taken with the D3s/600 and what's that??? A touch of CA. Not anythong to cause a problem, but I can't remember EVER seeing that with the big Zuiko. Oly could build good glass!!!!

Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Realizing, of course, the ability of the person holding the camera has a lot to do with the final result. None the less, I could NEVER achieve that kind of AF accuracy with any of the 3 Olympus dslrs I've owned.

Zig
Thanks for trying to put a feather in my cap, but now I'll pull it back out.

Its not long after using the camera you find its a big computer that takes pictures. The things that are taken into account to determine where the focus will be is beyond just the focus points. Its is being fed info from the metering matrix which also collects color information. It also has a face detection type system and it finds eyes really well. Bottom line is the computer keeps track of the subject and as long as you can keep any of the 51 points on that subject, it will do everything it can to keep it in focus.

I can't say I know much about the D90's systems. If you get a chance to get your hands on Thom Hogan's guide for the camera, it will reveal a bunch.

Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:48 PM   #28

I have tried the nikon d3s and the canon 1d4, they are great AF systems, noting else out there compares. But the cost will keep me form pulling the trigger on a 6-7k body. That is half the price of a new motorcycle or the full price to a big vespa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I recommend NOT trying out the system if you get a chance. I spent 15 minutes with a D3X a year and a half ago and never got the focus performance out of my head. I finally buckled and got the D3s when it seemed clear to me that Olympus no longer believed in the 4/3 mount and I wasn't in love with their micro system.

It's cost is beyond the price difference in bodies. Those Nikkors cost plenty too.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:04 PM   #29

Let me summarize, if I may, the difference between 1dIV and d3s based upon reviews from pros in the field:

1dIV: you really need to understand how to configure the focus system and the user functions. Once you understand how to configure it for a given type of situation it's the best focusing camera canon has ever produced (at 18mp and 12 fps).

d3s: focus just works - period (with best ISO performance out there).

Which is what I like about nikon vs. canon right now (at least at the pro level) - Nikon's AI (artificial intelligence) works better. Canon's approach still requires you to do more manual configurations to get the same results.

By the way Greg & Zig: just think what you guys could do with a nice, brand new Nikon 200-400 f4
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

By the way Greg & Zig: just think what you guys could do with a nice, brand new Nikon 200-400 f4
Well, I'm not sure what I would do with it + the D90, but I can only imagine what Greg might be able to do with his D3s