Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
By the way Greg & Zig: just think what you guys could do with a nice, brand new Nikon 200-400 f4
LOL And think what they could do with the $7 grand that thing costs! Momma Mia!!!!

Hi zig: this has been an interesting post. If that helps your BIF shots, then you did well. I can see your point.

I can see a parallel with my 3 automobiles, each is a different brand and different size. While nothing can beat my sports car for the majority of driving I enjoy, at the same time, my huge SUV does some things that the others can't. Like loading it down with many passengers, or carrying a really big load back from Home Depot. The SUV is irreplaceable for what it does, but I don't take it out of the garage very often. 95% of my driving is in a sports car, and that is favorite. But I sometimes need another vehicle to do the job at hand.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
By the way Greg & Zig: just think what you guys could do with a nice, brand new Nikon 200-400 f4
I've got 600 f4 covered, 850 f5.6 covered with the 1.4 converter, 300 f4 covered, and 420 f5.6 covered thith the TC 1.4. I don't need to expend more in the super tele range. Hurts too much. I also have (and love) the 105 macro.

The 70-200 is on the want list, as is the 14-24, both ranges I used with the Oly kit. From there a fast 50 will finish things up.

Its safe to say the 200-400 will not join the kit, unless you know someone that needs to give one up.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:06 AM   #33

Hey Zig

Interesting post and I'm sure that there's quite a few others on the forum that have been thinking about going dual system at least. The AF and esp CAF for the OLy's needed a major revamp esp after the E3 but thast not going to happen unless things change drastically over Oly HQ. I wonder if they actually realise how many existing 4/3 users they are potentially about to loose once the existing 4/3 cam's are no longer available or functioning.

Greg, a wee bit surprised that you picked up the D3 esp after you upgraded to the E5 although considering what your shooting the D3's AF is going to be the bees-knees. it looks a cracker of a cam.. a bit too big of beastie for my liking but then again if you have the E5 + battery grip, there going to be about the same. I thought the D700 was a wee bit big for my liking, although if I were ever to switch it would be to that sized body and not a DX.

What do you guys recommend to anyone wanting to get a DSLR ? I've been asked quite a bit lately and have had to point people to any of the other brands, as all of them wanted a entry-mid level SLR and not a pen type camera or were willing to spend the monies on an E5.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jul 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

Interesting post and I'm sure that there's quite a few others on the forum that have been thinking about going dual system at least. The AF and esp CAF for the OLy's needed a major revamp esp after the E3 but thast not going to happen unless things change drastically over Oly HQ. I wonder if they actually realise how many existing 4/3 users they are potentially about to loose once the existing 4/3 cam's are no longer available or functioning.

Greg, a wee bit surprised that you picked up the D3 esp after you upgraded to the E5 although considering what your shooting the D3's AF is going to be the bees-knees. it looks a cracker of a cam.. a bit too big of beastie for my liking but then again if you have the E5 + battery grip, there going to be about the same. I thought the D700 was a wee bit big for my liking, although if I were ever to switch it would be to that sized body and not a DX.

What do you guys recommend to anyone wanting to get a DSLR ? I've been asked quite a bit lately and have had to point people to any of the other brands, as all of them wanted a entry-mid level SLR and not a pen type camera or were willing to spend the monies on an E5.

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

I held out as long as I thought I reasonably could, in not buying another system. In the end, Olympus made it easy for me because they've made it clear that their future is tied in with m43. That, and the fact that I've been trying different out camera bodies from Canon and Nikon and finally admitted to myself that the E-30's AF system is just nowhere as responsive or sophisticated as the Nikon's.

That said, I still am planning on using my current Oly system for the bulk of my work. But, right now, I'm selling off some little used equipment to fund a lens purchase for the D90.

As for what I tell people when they ask for a recommendation, I simply tell them about the current situation with Olympus and why I personally would not invest in their 4/3rds system, then tell them that both Canon and Nikon make great equipment, then suggest that they go to a camera store and try them both out.
I make it a point to tell them that it is important to actually touch, handle and
try out a camera. Look at the menus' - some are more attuned to the Canon menu, some like the Nikon's. I also tell them to look thru the viewfinder
and actually take a few pictures, then examine them.

Holding a camera is such a personal thing that you really have to hold it for awhile and see how comfortable it feels in the hand.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:02 PM   #35

My father got a Nikon 7000 recently.

It has a flippy screen like the Oly, which was one reason I went with the Oly. However, as soon as I started to play with the D7000, I went: "Damn!" The AF was much more responsive than on my E-620. I wonder how it would compare to the E-5?

In any case, I think I'll be switching to Nikon too at some point.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:14 PM   #36

I have an Olympus E1-E3 & E5 some lens (11-22, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300, sigma 30mm, Sigma 150mm) and I really love my gear.

The only problem with Olympus is AF :-( it is frustrating to shoot specially in low light conditions, last week I shoot a wedding for a friend and I have an assistance shooting with a Nikon D300, while I was waiting for the camera to confirm focus and shoot the Nikon shoot 4 -5 pictures... in low light conditions Olympus is a nightmare...!!!

When we saw the results from both cameras the difference is very notorious, the Olympus pictures are sharper and nice natural colors and the ones from the Nikon very soft.

Some times I want to do the same like Zig, just buy a second hand Nikon D300 with a portrait lens just to use it in low light conditions.

Nice thread, thank you for posting.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
My father got a Nikon 7000 recently.

It has a flippy screen like the Oly, which was one reason I went with the Oly. However, as soon as I started to play with the D7000, I went: "Damn!" The AF was much more responsive than on my E-620. I wonder how it would compare to the E-5?

In any case, I think I'll be switching to Nikon too at some point.
They tested the AF, the E-5 is faster then the D7000 in a back issue of pop photo. But they are in different league. The e-5 is with the 7D and d300s league. Whole different animal.

When you are talking e-620 you are with the rebel's and the nikon d5100, d5000 and D90.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I have an Olympus E1-E3 & E5 some lens (11-22, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, 70-300, sigma 30mm, Sigma 150mm) and I really love my gear.

The only problem with Olympus is AF :-( it is frustrating to shoot specially in low light conditions, last week I shoot a wedding for a friend and I have an assistance shooting with a Nikon D300, while I was waiting for the camera to confirm focus and shoot the Nikon shoot 4 -5 pictures... in low light conditions Olympus is a nightmare...!!!

When we saw the results from both cameras the difference is very notorious, the Olympus pictures are sharper and nice natural colors and the ones from the Nikon very soft.

Some times I want to do the same like Zig, just buy a second hand Nikon D300 with a portrait lens just to use it in low light conditions.

Nice thread, thank you for posting.
Hi Marcelo,

As have you, I also have become spoiled with the detail, color and clarity that my E-30 gives me. But, I have to point out that the lenses you and I are using are exceptional. I find both the 12-60mm SWD and the 50-200mm lenses are as good or better than any equivalent lenses from any manufacturer period! You've got the 11-22mm, the 14-54mm as well as the 50-200mm. Additionally, the 30mm and 150mm Sigmas are outstanding.

To me, each camera manufacturer has their strong points. With Olympus, it's their lenses and the color that the sensor's output that get my attention. Their weakness is in the ability to design a camera with a sophisticated Auto Focus system such as the Nikons. And, something that has already been pointed out, the D90 is not anywhere near Nikon's top tier equipment. It sits below the D3s, and the D700.

For the moment, I'm going to continue to use my Olympus equipment in those situations where, I think it excels. My current thinking is that the D90
+ 70-200mm 2.8 will get me where I want to go in the area of shooting birds in flight. Next on the list is a Teleconverter for more focal length.

By the way, it's good to hear from you. I was wondering where you've been as I haven't seen you over at DPreview for sometime.

regards,

Zig

For this reason, I've just ordered a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They tested the AF, the E-5 is faster then the D7000 in a back issue of pop photo. But they are in different league. The e-5 is with the 7D and d300s league. Whole different animal.

When you are talking e-620 you are with the rebel's and the nikon d5100, d5000 and D90.
Well, a friend has a D90 and the focus beats the E-620 hands down.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 9:13 AM   #40

That I would expect that, the d90 is a high end entry. The e620 is a regular entry.