Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:14 PM   #11

I don't know if this will help, as I have a Canon...

But, I set my camera to "continuous shooting" mode and my shutter speed for whatever I want it to be (30s for my startrails pictures). I lock the cable release and let it go!

This makes my camera take 30-second exposures, one right after the other, until the battery dies, the card gets filled, or I tell it to stop.

Oh, this isn't in bulb mode. Bulb mode is for one, great, huge, long exposure. If you want to take more than one exposure, then you need to set your shutter speed to something other than B.

Last edited by JeannieBug; Aug 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: To add the bit about bulb mode.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieBug View Post
I don't know if this will help, as I have a Canon...

But, I set my camera to "continuous shooting" mode and my shutter speed for whatever I want it to be (30s for my startrails pictures). I lock the cable release and let it go!

This makes my camera take 30-second exposures, one right after the other, until the battery dies, the card gets filled, or I tell it to stop.

Oh, this isn't in bulb mode. Bulb mode is for one, great, huge, long exposure. If you want to take more than one exposure, then you need to set your shutter speed to something other than B.
The goal is to take long exposures, longer than the 60sec maximum that my camera allows.

I seem to be following the directions properly. I first reset all the counters (delay,long,intvl,n) to default (00:00:00) on the timer. I then put the camera on bulb mode, lock the button, wait 2 minutes and unlock the button again.

However, if the camera, in the menus is set to 8 minute bulb mode, I cannot close the shutter before or after. 8 minutes is when it goes off, end of story.

In theory, I should be able to set it to bulb mode, time it for whatever time I need and it should close the shutter. At least, this is how I had envisioned it and seen on various Youtube videos.

Perfect example, I can't do any of the bulb stuff like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7vVF...F56728#t=3m08s

- pressing halfway, automatically triggers the camera
- any bulb mode will result in the opening of the shutter for the duration of whatever is set in the menus on the camera

Last edited by TekiusFanatikus; Aug 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM.
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:28 AM   #13

I just wanted to note that I returned the unit and got a new one. The new one works as it should and exhibits the same functionality as the video in my previous post. Wicked!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:56 AM   #14

I'm glad for you that it works well. I've never had a remote for any of my cameras but certainly I have thought of one fairly often. I may, again, look into getting one.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote