Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:12 AM   #1

Default Feedback on Images

Hey all,

Though I am not shooting with Olympus anymore but I feel more comfortable asking for feedback from people in this forum. These images are taken at a local zoo. However they are not part of my assignment but I still tried to limit myself to manual shooting in terms of focusing as well as exposure. Since all of these were shot in color, I had to post process them to enhance the contrast and shadows. All of the images are uncropped except the one with the girl.

I loved the black and white form. I am beginning to enjoy black and white more and more and feel I should actually take pictures in B&W then convert them later on. It will open up a whole new world of photographic expression for me.

I would appreciate your feedback and critique on the photos.

Name:  DSC_2023.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  DSC_2133.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  233.8 KB

Name:  DSC_1962.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  DSC_2137.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  DSC_2158.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  148.1 KB
Zeshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:31 AM   #2

Hi,

These are my personal opinions relative to your images. And, please don't take this as harsh criticism-it's just my reaction to each. And, I admit to not being a big admirer of black and white.

#1 The eyes are obscured. The photo would be improved if you had either moved in or out so that you could completely capture the eyes of the lioness. A closer crop showing the head - to me would also be an improvement.

#2 What's the subject? The tree or broken iron fence? Also, the image is exposed or too dark resulting in a loss of detail.

#3 The photo of the girl is nicely framed albeit, the top of her head is cut off.
It again, is underexposed. I would adjust exposure to bring out the detail a bit more.

#4 I would have preferred a different framing of the Tiger as part of the torso is cropped.

#5 Metering off the birds probably resulted in the background being too dark while the birds are a bit too bright. Cropping the dark areas or using fill light to brighten those areas would result in a better image. Did you mean to blur the wings?

Regards,
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks Zig for the feedback. All of the images are taken in color and I havent done much editing in B&W. So it was really challenging to correct the contrast the way it should be. I deliberately edited some of these to look underexposed or put focus on certain areas in the picture,

I ran out of focal length for the lioness picture and I couldnt get any closer because of the outer blockade. Also I was only 5-6 feet away from the lioness and getting more close would only have scared her in some way. Tried cropping and it didnt look too interesting so I decided to leave it just the way it is.

The subject is both the tree and the fence. The trees in the zoo are about 150+ years old. This one just probably died naturally and ripped through the fence. You are right. The picture does look underexposed. Need to get my editing right.

I like the girl's head being cut off. Its just personally more appealing to me. Will work on the exposure a bit.

ok

This is an interesting picture for me. I highlighted the birds deliberately and darkened the shadows to give more prominence to the birds. I wanted this image to have a dream like feel and to project as if the birds will finally fly away and rejoice in freedom once again. Albeit we know its not true and they are stuck. I had even thought about the tag line for this image "We fly but our souls are crying!". The blur is accidental but I like it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4

Hi,

As I said, it's how i felt when I first looked at your images.

The great thing about photography is that it is very much personal. If the image elicits a particular feeling within you, then it's fine.

After all, not everyone appreciates Picasso's artwork

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM   #5

zeshane,
just my opinion but it seems like you're not really looking for any feedback that suggest the photos aren't great as is. Everything Zig brought up you made an argument or (in the case of the lioness) an excuse. People aren't going to take the time Zig did to provide you good feedback if the perception is you're not open to it. Right now, my perception after reading your reply to zig is: any feedback that doesn't amount to: great shot, isn't welcome feedback by you. So other experienced photogs will be less likely to expend the effort to provide critique and the only people that will comment will be the people that say Great Shot to just about everything. Just something to keep in mind.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:48 PM   #6

The thing about asking for opinions is, you going to get them.

Sometimes you will scratch your head because someone doesn’t like the very effect you strived to achieve. And other times you will think “Oh ya I never thought of that.” What matters most, is what you take from it that makes you a better photographer.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:29 AM   #7

@John,

I dont think we have interacted in this forum before in which case my greetings first of all. Secondly if you percieved that I was being defensive in any way then my sincere apologies. It wasnt the intention.

I am still learning to accept criticism. Havent really posted enough images on any forum or shown them to anyone for real feedback so for me its a new process. Also like I mentiioned, B&W is totally new to me and I need to understand the medium to really post process images accordingly.

@Zig,

I always appreciate your feedback and the fact that you take out time to post your thoughts about pictures people post in this forum. I have taken your critique seriously where I felt the pictures needed improvement.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:43 PM   #8

Hey Ze

Your B&W conversions are fine.. nice and gritty which adds to the pics. You could play around with the curves and see what you can come up with - slightly high key if possible would be pretty cool.

I agree with Zig's, JohnG and TJ's comments .. Zigs CC on the pics is pretty much spot on in my opinion but take that as a compliment and then go back if you can see i you can improve on these original pics. Tthe best way to improve is to definitely ask for CC... its the only way and perhaps the best way that many of us have learnt how to get better. Sometimes it can rub you up the wrong way but in this forum and many of the other forums here you will be get an honest opinion and one that will be aimed at helping your skills.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote