Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Out and About the Village

I wanted to have a play with my new 25mm pancake but hubby and some are getting a bit fed up with being my test subjects and as soon as I break the camera out the dog goes mad and wont sit still long enough! So off i went with my camera around my village of Polesworth, buildings tend not to moan!!

I like the contrast in this one with the flower and the barbed wire but the background is a distraction

Again nice but distracting background

I wanted to see if I could manage without any zoom as when I am on holiday I always have 2 cameras my DSLR and the P & S but I am getting a bit fed up with carrying the 2 and the 25mm pancake is small enough to use the E420 in that way. I am happy with the results, these are all SOC.
SamJuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Not bad at all! I tried to get the pancake here ... but it seems that they cannot order it

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3

Your shots keep getting better and better Sam....making me more and more like we need to visit again. Or come home in my case. We're trying for next year.

I like your idea on the second shot. I take it you were wide open (Biggest aperture) perhaps a bit of fill flash would have helped the flower (Gladiola?) and wire.

You lost the background on your nicely composed 3rd shot.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I was practicing my DOF skills ;-)
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:43 PM   #5

G'day Sam

Thanks for sharing your ideas & images
cc if I may...

You have a lens that gives 2 great things - a) a wide angle of coverage, and b) a great depth of field
My suggestion is "use it creatively to your advantage"

Select subjects close to the camera [like the rose] and place it on one side of the image and then let the large DoF take the viewer into the distant reaches of the image. ie- "wide-angle" is old-hat-stuff ... give us/ your viewers images that start close & go on forever

I can post some examples if you would like
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:49 AM   #6

Yes please Phil, still learning this stuff! Lol
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Not bad at all! I tried to get the pancake here ... but it seems that they cannot order it
That doesn't make sense (not saying you're wrong). If you really want it, join fourthirdsphoto.com, then send NedDog a PM. He's a pro photographer in Canada and uses Oly gear - if anyone knows how to get it in your country he will. And he's very helpful - a good guy.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:07 PM   #8

G'day Sam

Okay - several things here re- camera technique
Sketch-1 below shows the way most of us use a wide angle lens ... we stand there and fit everything into the scene across the viewfinder. My proposal to you is to experiment with moving your camera location so that "something" is so close to the camera it is almost touching and use the wide-angle lens's depth of field to cover everything in the scene as it goes away from the camera

eg:

Q- see the difference between fig-1 & fig-2??

Here are some examples ...
&
ie- a field of wildflowers and pebbles & rocks under water in a lake
in each photo I am sitting on the ground with the camera so close to the foreground things I could easily touch them

and-
&

With these 2 shots, the RHS of the subject in each camera image is only "inches" away from the camera - certainly no more than a foot away

Hope these examples give you a clue to another way of using the wide angle end of your lens - and another way of 'showing off' to your mates

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:41 AM   #9

Thanks Phil, I see what you mean. Thanks for the sketches and the examples, makes sense.