Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Default My Poor Hyundai

Okay, these aren't "great photography", but I couldn't resist sharing these. Even after my car got trashed yesterday, having my camera with me allowed me to capture the results of a car coming towards me driving left of center on a highway near my home. The car ahead of me suddenly swerved off the road and just as I was wondering why, it became apparent as the oncoming vehicle peeled the entire side of my car away and kept on going half on my side of the road. Will find out by Monday whether my car is repairable. It was quite a scene, with probably 15 vehicles that stopped to see if they could help; then about 7 law enforcement cars, 2 fire trucks, 2 ambulances and three wreckers--a whole bunch of flashing lights! Must have been nothing going on anywhere else in the county! I was able to get my car to the side of the road and force the door open to get out and I was not hurt. The driver of the car immediately behind me was (what luck) a lawyer and he gave a statement that stated the he saw the car driving left of center and that I was in my own lane and driving at the legal speed limit--I guess it never hurts to have a lawyer on your side!
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2

Wow, sorry about that. So glad that you were not hurt, which is the most important thing. Hope they can repair your car.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:25 AM   #3

Oh my gosh! That must've been terrifying for you! I'm glad you're okay! Will your insurance cover the damages? I hope they catch the SOB hit-and-run driver!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:13 PM   #4

I was not hurt in any way, because it was an impact that kept his vehicle impact with mine moving in a "down the side of each vehicle" way, none of my airbags even deployed. He basically peeled the side of my car away as he traveled in the opposite direction. He did stop (after glancing off another car) and I have found out that he does have insurance. I never had time to be scared, all I saw was the car ahead of me swerve off the road and wonder what caused him to do that; then I KNEW why--all I could think about in the seconds my car was being bashed was "Oh crud, this is going to be very bad for my car"!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Oh "Crud!" is right.
Just happy that you're OK.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6

...yeah, "OH CRUD" from me too.

When I was a kid (12-yrs) the same happened to us on a highway in Missouri, I was in the back seat on that side when ours was sideswiped by another at highway speed. Luckily no injuries to anybody but it was very scary, 61-yrs ago and I still remember the feeling and can hear the sound (the loud POP).

Glad you are ok from it...........

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:14 PM   #7

G'day mate

As others above have said too - when things like this happen, they happen "very damn qwik" and avoiding action is often not possible

Hopefully you'll be back on the road fairly soon

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:16 PM   #8

5000 dollars damage, 4 weeks to get all the work done. Thank goodness for a rental car! We are exchanging the Ford Focus they originally gave us for another vehicle that actually has cruise control.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 5:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedangie View Post
5000 dollars damage, 4 weeks to get all the work done. Thank goodness for a rental car! We are exchanging the Ford Focus they originally gave us for another vehicle that actually has cruise control.
Yeah, States get bigger west of the Mississippi. Good luck on the repair!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:32 PM   #10

Glad your aok ..when i first saw the pics the damage to your Hyundai bought back memories of my own incident 5-6 years ago, although mine was due to oil on the freeway and smashing into the barriers on the central reservations. The damage was pretty similar ..

Fingers crossed that they fix "her" up good and proper!

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote