Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:00 AM   #1

Default E620 flash issue

Can someone help with a flash question, why can i take flash pics in low light and in no light the flash just strobes, i can't seem to work out what i have done with the setting and the manual is of little help.
markinaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinaust View Post
Can someone help with a flash question, why can i take flash pics in low light and in no light the flash just strobes, i can't seem to work out what i have done with the setting and the manual is of little help.
The strobing is the AF assist. Without the AF assist, the lens would most likely end up searching for ever by itself to get AF.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3

Without checking my own camera carefully, I believe the camera won't take a picture if it can't focus. It will try, hence the focus assist strobe. You can over-ride this by enabling release priority for either/both focusing modes.
Check for focus confirmation before full shutter button press.
Stew Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Sorry for the double posting...
Just checked, enabling release (RLS) priority is on page 99.
Also noted that if you're focusing with Live View, and using the AF sensor to focus instead of the Imager or Hybrid options (p. 37), it says the shutter will release (i.e. the camera sounds like it took a photo), but no photo capture occurs unless focus lock is attained first.
I got rid of this "problem" on my 620 by assigning S-AF pre-focus to the AEL/AFL button instead of the shutter button half-press (p.97). That way focusing becomes two independent operations. This slows down image capture a bit, but I find it a but more reliable.
Stew Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:37 PM   #5

Thank you all for the responses, i will check this out tonight, you have been very helpful, Cheers from Australia.
markinaust is offline   Reply With Quote