Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:54 PM   #1

Default An interesting article

Came across an interesting essay by a professional photographer.
It was titled: "I have a lot of cameras. Why do I keep coming back to the Olympus ones?"

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...do-i-keep.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:06 PM   #2

Hi Steven,

Thanks for posting the link.

For me personally, I always enjoy reading Kirk Tuck's articles. From my perspective, he's a guy that appears to really have a lot of fun in using and having different types cameras. He's sort of like the guy whose philosophy is 'he who dies with the most toys wins!' At least, that's the way he comes across to me.

I think he would be a lot of fun to be around with as well as spending a day with him taking photos.

Zig

By the way, the real reason I wanted to reply was; He's right about the VF2 EFV. It is a honey of a viewfinder. It certainly is one major reason why
I use my micro fourthirds cameras.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:56 PM   #3

Hi Zig: I enjoy reading him, obviously has fun in what he does. This article made me want to save up to buy both a ZX-1 and a Pen EP-3. But then, I already have great cameras, and have too little time to shoot enough with what I already have.

As the old saying goes: "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you have."
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
He's sort of like the guy whose philosophy is 'he who dies with the most toys wins!' At least, that's the way he comes across to me.
It's funny - although I know some folks who think that way, I never had the sense he was one of them. He's a professional photographer and it's understandable that he would want to try different tools for his profession. I get the sense he sells a tool that doesn't work for him. The reason I say that is in one of his blogs he said , "And for God's sake, don't sell a camera that gives you images you love."

The guy who meets the philosophy you mention is Ben Hermann over at DPR, who at one point noted that he had 81 cameras. (Justin Bonaparte replied, "81 cameras?" to which Ben replied, "Yup, this is what happens when you don't get laid." A classic forum thread; DPR is definitely worth tracking...)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
This article made me want to save up to buy both a ZX-1 and a Pen EP-3. But then, I already have great cameras, and have too little time to shoot enough with what I already have.
Me too. I'm one of the few folks who is not upset that Oly doesn't seem to intend to release a new 4/3 lens. "Thank God" says I.

I have always figured I'd never want an EVF camera because of the smearing you get when you pan it to track a fast moving object. Then someone at DPR pointed out that that's only a matter of the camera's processor speed, which hasn't needed to be all that fast before; digital TVs don't smear motion. So there really can be a pro EVF camera. "Damn" says I.

Ted
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Me too. I'm one of the few folks who is not upset that Oly doesn't seem to intend to release a new 4/3 lens. "Thank God" says I.

I have always figured I'd never want an EVF camera because of the smearing you get when you pan it to track a fast moving object. Then someone at DPR pointed out that that's only a matter of the camera's processor speed, which hasn't needed to be all that fast before; digital TVs don't smear motion. So there really can be a pro EVF camera. "Damn" says I.

Ted
Hi,

It's just a matter of time before the refresh rates for an EVF are refined to the point where it will make little to no difference than using a pentaprism.

I just read an interesting hands on article by Michael Reichmann on the Sony A77. He talks about the EVF in that article. Seems like Sony may have it all figured out.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
It's just a matter of time before the refresh rates for an EVF are refined to the point where it will make little to no difference than using a pentaprism.
Zig
Hi, Zig. What worries me is that it will likely be better than an OVF, such as adding the over/under exposure flashing indications in real time.

Ted
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:10 PM   #8

This is another interesting article:
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/0...h-24-summilux/
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
This is another interesting article:
That was interesting. But I'd still rather have the Leica with the 50mm Noctilux.

Ted
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:48 PM   #10

Very nice reading, thank you for posting the link.

Kirk Tuck's is a fantastic photographer and he use to post his pictures and commentaries in Dpreview.com.

Have a great weekend Steven.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote