Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:19 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing Zig, nice to get the opinion of somebody that has dealt with both systems.

Is the D90 weather sealed?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:24 PM   #12

Funny you guys mentioned the AF .. as I was speaking to one of the guys at work whose also into photography who went from a D300 to a D700 less than a month ago. He's experience so far with the D700 kind of surprised me as he thinks that it is less accurate (seems to FF with every lens) than the D300 that he had, using the same lenses. Right now he;s had to dial in a correction on the D700 to correct the front focusing issues that its having, esp with the 85mm F1.4 and according to him its a known issue with the D700's.

Now another friend of mine shoots with a Canon 40D and she thinks the CA-F on that is absolutely terrible (her description of it was exactly like the E-3's CAF..!!) but I had to remind her that theres no way its as bad as the E-3's... which is absolutely seriously super baddly terrible and cannot be beat ! She did on the other hand get to use a D3 + 70-200 F2.8 VR2 @ F2.8 recently and was simply amazed at how accurate it was even when shooting in low light, without flash at ISO2000 to 3200.

I'd have loved to have been able to have given some kind of feedback on the E-5 and its CAF but as I don;t have one or even had a chance to play with one I can't. I doubt whether its as accurate as the latest Nikon AF systems on the likes of the D7000/D300s/D700.

My thoughts on switching systems .. right its all on hold as I think the E-3's still more than enough camera for me - I just won;t ever use it where CA-F or where theres any fast movement. What I am going to upgrade is going from the speedlights to a location portable lighting kit - so mini strobe/heads and battery pack .. so that should tide me over for at least another 6-12months to develop lighting skills for location fashion shoots. Hopefully, by then perhaps Oly would have announced an E50 or something else for FT and if not then i may look for an old 5D or a Leica M8 (in my dreams) to fool around with.

John, nice post on the pro's and cons of IS ...

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Thanks for sharing Zig, nice to get the opinion of somebody that has dealt with both systems.

Is the D90 weather sealed?
Hi Dan,

No, the D90 is not weather sealed. It's considered a consumer camera. It is mostly made of plastic components. The D7000, on the other hand, is made of magnesium alloy and has more weather sealed components.

Frankly, for my purposes, weather sealing isn't such a big deal. I know enough to come out of the bad weather. And, if necessary, I'd put a plastic bag over the camera body.

One thing that I've read on more than one site as regards to the D7000. If you intend to buy one, don't skimp and get the kit lenses or lesser grade lenses as the sensor will outresolve the lenses and it will be apparent in your photos.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post

My thoughts on switching systems .. right its all on hold as I think the E-3's still more than enough camera for me - I just won;t ever use it where CA-F or where theres any fast movement. What I am going to upgrade is going from the speedlights to a location portable lighting kit - so mini strobe/heads and battery pack .. so that should tide me over for at least another 6-12months to develop lighting skills for location fashion shoots. Hopefully, by then perhaps Oly would have announced an E50 or something else for FT and if not then i may look for an old 5D or a Leica M8 (in my dreams) to fool around with.

John, nice post on the pro's and cons of IS ...

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

My prime motivation for upgrading was as a result of my frustrations with shooting birds in flight. If it wasn't for that, then I would still be using my E-30+ 12-60SWD and the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5. I'd also be happy as a clam and my bank account would be $3,000 richer.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Dan,

One thing that I've read on more than one site as regards to the D7000. If you intend to buy one, don't skimp and get the kit lenses or lesser grade lenses as the sensor will outresolve the lenses and it will be apparent in your photos.

Zig
My dad, whom owns the D7000 I tried only had one lens, the 18-270mm from Tamron. Would this be considered a kit lens? He shot at the airshow a few weeks ago and some of the shots are just, wow! Another selling point for the camera.

Any suggestion on lens would be appreciated. Are you saying that I shouldn't bother with anything above f2.8? Or the cheap 3.5-5.6? (Hoping this makes sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'd also be happy as a clam and my bank account would be $3,000 richer.
I bet your complaining less about missed opportunities? That may be worth its price in gold to the people around you. You should remind them of that! LOL!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:33 AM   #16

Hi Dan,

As far as lenses go, the lenses I would like to add to my kit and considered
the better DX lenses are:

the tokina 11-16mm ATX-Pro wide angle
or
Sigma 10-20mm wide angle
Nikon 16-85mm lens
50mm 1.4G prime
35mmm 1.8Gprime

70-200mm 2.8 VRII long telephoto (I have)
Tc-14E teleconverter (just ordered)

Zig

Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:10 AM   #17

Hey Zig

I know exactly where your coming from and many of the guys here on the forum have a much larger FT lenses selection than me. I've been amazed at times with the bird shots that you and the others post as I just wouldn;t have the confidence in my E3 to be able to successfully nail those shots. If I was shooting even catwalks, I think I would have picked up another system asap.

This is one area Oly could and should have spent the time and money in making sure that the AF system in the E-5 was superior to any other E system camera and on par with Nikon's D300s at least. It had 3 years after the E3's release to do so. That alone would have enabled many current Oly users to have then been able to justify getting the E-5 even though it may not have been exactly what they wanted in terms of size,weight and cost. It would have shown commitment from Oly that they were aware of some of the real problems that were limiting current users. So what we're currently seeing with many Oly shooters (inc myself) looking to go dual system - Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax was surely going to happen and how Oly seemed to think that we would simply move to Pen is beyond me. Looking at the Sony A77, the E5 should have been something like that .. a big attempt at updating the E3 even if Oly intended it to be the last FT camera.

I'd like to get a D700 but right now its still pretty spendy and then theres the cost of getting the 70-200 F2.8 VR so I wouldn't loose the IQ that the 35-100 F2 gives me right now (from all accounts the SHG is the better lens minus the SWD motor), so its possible that I may just pick up an old 5DMk1 for 650 ish but what lens, to pair with it is another question ?!

Lets hope that Oly realise that they shot themselves in the foot and announce an E50 this year and later an E6 before its too late and most of their current users move onto pastures new.

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 7, 2011 at 6:41 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

This is one area Oly could and should have spent the time and money in making sure that the AF system in the E-5 was superior to any other E system camera and on par with Nikon's D300. It had 3 years after the E3's release to do so. That alone would have enabled many current Oly users to have then been able to justify getting the E-5 even though it may not have been exactly what they wanted in terms of size,weight and cost. It would have shown commitment from Oly that they were aware of some of the real problems that were limiting current users. So what we're currently seeing with many Oly shooters (inc myself) looking to go dual system - Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax was surely going to happen and how Oly seemed to think that we would simply move to Pen is beyond me. I'd like to get a D700 but right now its still pretty spendy and then theres the cost of getting the 70-200 F2.8 VR just so I wouldn't loose the IQ that the 35-100 F2 gives so the costs of going dually would be really steep.
Agreed Harj,

My biggest gripe with Olympus has been their lack of development in the area of Auto Focus. We're all aware of the limitations of the fourthirds sensor
when it comes to low light and noise. There is only so much that can be done. And, while their efforts to squeeze the most out of the sensor has been
very successful. The AF system just doesn't compare to the standard.

Zig

Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:51 AM   #19

Dan - to answer your question about the 18-270:
It's not a kit lens, but it's a superzoom lens. With such lenses you're paying for convenience but you give up optical quality and focus performance. You're always going to get better performance out of lenses with less focal range than a superzoom lens. Superzooms can be great options for vacation. But, if you're concerned with image quality and focus speed they're a poor option.

That doesn't mean you have to buy all f/2.8 lenses. For example, the nikon 200-400 f4 is a fantastic lens (with a price to match).

The other thing that's important to note with regards to focus speed: focus performance is not just about the body - lens plays a part. For sports/wildlife etc. in nikon you are relying on the motor in the lens. Not all focus motors are created equal. For example, tamron makes a very sharp 70-200 2.8. Unfortunately the focus motor is rather slow. So, the sigma 70-200 2.8EX has better focus performance - especially when you're in a continuous focus mode. So, if you need focus speed sigma is better; if you don't then tamron is sharper. Just one example. The point is: just like with image stabilization, you have to make lens purchases with an eye towards your specific needs. The reason manufacturers are able to sell so many different lenses is there is no one lens that is "right" for every shooter.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
But, if you're concerned with image quality and focus speed they're a poor option.
Image quality is something important. That said, I have the kit lenses with my E-620 (14-42 and 70-300). Those seemed to provide adequate quality and, from what I read, Olympus is known for kit lens quality?

I brief look into the Nikon camp and you can quickly see that there is considerably more choices. I guess, I'd be looking at a good 3.5-5.6 lens, near what I had with the 14-42 and a zoom lens to cover the rest.

At this point, I sort by price and try to gauge what it means based on aperture options