Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:45 PM   #1

Default E-3 and night fireworks focusing

I know there are some complaints about the focus speed of the E-3 and birds in flight. I don't usually shoot BIF, so I can't comment, but I do get a lot of opportunity to shoot night-time fireworks.

Headed over to Disney World this past weekend. I had a previous collection of fireworks there shot with the E-520. The E520 session had a lot of discards, as it could not always focus in quickly on the rapidly moving fireworks against a black sky. I had a lot of discards among the keepers.

So I was curious as to how the E-3 would handle the situation. I did not use the 50-200mm lens, as I needed a wider angle, so shot with the Oly kit lens. Definitely an improvement over the E520. Locked in and focused quickly, and I had almost no discards. Almost every one were spot on with the focus quickly picking up the fireworks.

A lot easier than using the 520, and the shots themselves were noticeably sharper than my old shots with the same kit lens. All were hand held, mostly at 1000 ISO. No PP, the only thing they really need is to run them thru some noise reduction software. Here is a few samples:

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:35 PM   #2

Great shots...
mguffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:00 PM   #3

Steven, these are really good samples. As you mentioned sliding them thru some noise reduction will make some improvement but overall you have very nice results.

I've never shot birds in flight except with a shotgun, doing it with a camera doesn't excite me and I seldom have need for better AF than I get from the E-3. Of course one will wish for the best and better but for me the E-3 is an excellent camera that I will likely never get the best of.

I see the E-3 fitting you very well.............

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:02 AM   #4

Nice ones, Steven. I take it you're not planning to use the 520 much, now.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:19 AM   #5

Steven,

I guess I'm confused - at those focal lenghts / distances there's no reason to change focus at all. I've always shot fireworks with AF turned off
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguffin View Post
Great shots...
Hi Mike, thanks for the comments and welcome to the forum. Most of this group is knowledgeable and very friendly. (Even Ted on most days. LOL)

However, you should know that this group has been known to engage in a lot of kidding from time to time.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Steven,

I guess I'm confused - at those focal lenghts / distances there's no reason to change focus at all. I've always shot fireworks with AF turned off

Well don't I feel silly. That's why you are the Pro and we are the rank amateurs. Thanks for the tip. Makes sense to me. I'm just used to always shooting in AF.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 4:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Most of this group is knowledgeable and very friendly. (Even Ted on most days. LOL)
Wait a darned minute here! I have worked hard to establish the reputation of being always knowledgeable and never friendly. Are you telling me I've failed at this?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote