Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:37 AM   #1

Default A word about Olympus

Hi all,

As many of you know, I recently made an addition to my camera equipment based on personal requirements that aren't fully met (IMHO) by my present Olympus E-30 dslr. I've also gone on record that I've been frustrated with the progress made by Olympus with, in my mind, some of the shortcomings of my E-30. In the process, I'm sure that I gave the impression that I'm about to jump ship and completely rid myself of my Olympus equipment. In fact, at times, I thought that was exactly what I was about to do.

Well, In the past couple of weeks, I've been printing a fair amount of my existing photographs taken with the E-30. Largely because business has been brisk and I've sold a good amount of matted landscape photos at various galleries in the local area.

The photos keep reminding me why I like Olympus equipment, the lenses and especially the 12-60mm SWD. The 12-60mm SWD and E-30 combo really do give great results with extremely sharp images, great resolution and the colors that so many Oly users appreciate. And, I shouldn't say just Olympus users as I always get comments from the owners of the galleries on the colors and clarity of the work I present to them.

I also have to admit that I very much prefer the menu system of the E-30. Granted, the other camera is new to me and, over time, I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it. But, I can change settings in the E-30 in a flash, especially when exposure bracketing comes into play.

It just reinforces, in my mind, that there is no perfect camera. Each have their pros and cons. It's simply a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. I'm pleased to have choices.

By the way,

I saw the results of a recent photo challenge at DPR. Olympus is well represented. Thought it might be worth sharing:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/C...Results&Rows=4

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:05 AM   #2

Zig said, "I'm pleased to have choices", .......I say, see my signature to this message!

Good statement Zig, it is good to have choices and IMO wise to be aware of and to advantage the choices when possible. I know you agree or you wouldn't have said so.

I am very glad your photo sales are doing so well, IT IS very exciting to have your work accepted whatever the medium; mine was not photography but I was excited.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:00 AM   #3

I also think it's great that you're selling your photos!

Thanks for the link to the DPR challenge. Aside from the number of entries taken with Oly cameras, I was also intrigued by the good ones taken with P&S cameras.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Not only is Olympus well represented, I expected to see E5 photos everywhere in the first group, and instead see several E 510. It's good to know my camera is not obsolete : )
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Well, In the past couple of weeks, I've been printing a fair amount of my existing photographs taken with the E-30. Largely because business has been brisk and I've sold a good amount of matted landscape photos at various galleries in the local area.
Congrats!!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:56 PM   #6

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the kind words and the support. But, I hope you guys don't think that I was bragging about my recent sales. The fact is that at the end of the year I'll be lucky not to have my wife kill me because I've spent way more on ink, paper, mattes, and supplies than the sales generated.

What happened this morning just reinforced, in my mind, that my Olympus equipment does meet a wide variety of photographic applications. AND, people like the results.
I happened to stop into a rather eclectic little store named Momo's Food Emporium just down the street from where I live. In addition to selling gourmet food, they have a little gallery featuring local artists involved in various types of mediums. During the month of August, I had some flyfishing related artwork on display. This month, they had asked that I bring in some framed prints as well as some matted prints of local scenes all taken
around the Fall. When I came in, the owner related that she would like more of my business cards as people were asking for them and there appeared to be a lot of interest in my work and she simply couldn't meet the current demand.

It so happened that a couple were looking at one of my saltmarsh photographs. The owner introduced me to the couple and they immediately
commented on how rich the colors looked and they wanted to know how I was able to achieve them and did I use graduated neutral density filters to give the clouds/sky the texture and rich colors. That really was a bit of an epiphany for me as I realized, that other than exp. bracketing 5 frames, then
adjusting the results in Photomatix Light, I really didn't manipulate the colors at all. They ended up buying the print (for which I was very gratified).

This just reinforced, in my mind, that people can 'see' the results AND the results are impressive when comparing them to the competitions'.

As an aside, Ted, they were from Maryland. In a town called Westminster.

And, if any one is interested, here is a link to their site;http://www.momosfoodemporium.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Sep 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:11 PM   #7

Hi Zig: Really glad to see your success in our enjoyable hobby we call photography.

Just goes to show that nice guys don't always finish last. Well deserved kudos to you.

(P.S: Be sure and tell your wife that the rest of us don't get anything back on what we spend on the hobby, so your sales are a bonus.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Zig: Really glad to see your success in our enjoyable hobby we call photography.

(P.S: Be sure and tell your wife that the rest of us don't get anything back on what we spend on the hobby, so your sales are a bonus.)
Hi Steven,

Thanks.... but, my wife discovered "Quiken" sometime ago and now, that she's retired, has altogether too much time on her hands. So, she spends countless hours coming up with all kinds of reports about my spending habits.

Funny.......she never shows me reports on her spending habits.

Zig

Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:00 PM   #9

Zig,

I'd like to know, how bad is the colour differences between the camera, when comparing OOC jpg images?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
Zig,

I'd like to know, how bad is the colour differences between the camera, when comparing OOC jpg images?
Hi Dan,

I'm not entirely clear on your question. But, I'll try and answer based on what I think the question deals with.

Ever since I bought my first Olympus dslr, the E-500, I've always been pleased with the colors rendered by the sensor/jpeg engine with respect to OOC jpegs.
However olympus' technicians have developed their sensors, processors, etc.
the colors that come out are usually very pleasing(to me).

I think that each different camera manufacturer takes a different approach. For example, the D90 OOC jpegs, at factory settings, are rather flat? (best way I can describe it). I've been playing around with the saturation settings
as well as fooling with the WB. I think I've got the colors where I want them.
But, just when I think I've got it, I get a series of results that are less than satisfying.

In comparison, the E-30 is pretty much set to factory defaults. I shoot mostly in RAW because I want to squeeze the last ounce of detail that I can. But I generally don't mess with the colors as much as one might think. When I shoot multiple exposures of the same scene, I'm generally looking to add depth, detail, and microcontrast to an image. When I first started out using Photomatix Light for HDR images,I did the same thing most everyone does when they first start out, and that is overcooking the colors to the point that they become rather bizarre. I've stopped playing with the colors, concentrating rather on the other components mentioned.

Last, to be fair, as regards my landscape photos, they are always done using the 12-60mm SWD lens. It may have some complex distortion issues, but that I can usually deal with in photoshop (ACR). The lens is extremely sharp and gives me the focal range, detail, clarity,& resolution that is outstanding (IMHO).

I'm not sure if I've answered your question or simply went off on a tangent.
Let me know, if i've missed the mark.

Zig