Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngloz View Post
Thank you all for your replies,

Ted, I tried getting the 25mm off ebay but i lost the auction at the last few seconds so i'm now thinking of starting with the 50mm that Zig suggested, I will try it without a flash initially, I think f2.0 would be enough for low light, I had never seen this lens before, it has amazing reviews everywhere! I messaged a couple of local sellers, I even found one who was selling the flash fl36r and the 50mm along with other things, offered him 450$ for the flash and the lens, hope he gets back to me and I start taking nice pics

Thank you all for your great support, congrats Zig on the photo of the day, I hope one day I'll be able to take such nice photos myself

John
Hi John,

Just to be clear on the flash. I use the original version of FL36, not the newer version FL36R which is more expensive. I don't know how the battery consumption is on the FL36R not having used it. But I use Sanyo's eneloop re-chargeable batteries and experience no refresh rate issues.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngloz View Post
Ted, I tried getting the 25mm off ebay but i lost the auction at the last few seconds so i'm now thinking of starting with the 50mm that Zig suggested, I will try it without a flash initially, I think f2.0 would be enough for low light,

John
The 50mm is a great lens and should be fine with available light indoors. However, 100mm (equivalent full frame) is a good focal length for a portrait of one person, but may prove to be too long for what you said you wanted to do - a group photo - if it's inside a typical residential room (which is why I didn't mention that lens to you). Let me know how it works out for you.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Sep 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
J ANYONE ELSE HERE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH METZ FLASH UNITS?
I have the Metz 48 AF-1 that I bought for about $275 in Hong Kong. Very nice flash. Battery life with Sanyo Enerloops is huge. Works great for close and distance as it has a motor zoom. Cons are that you must read the manual at least once or twice...
Martin

PS. I'm also interested in low light shooting, but outdoors at moving things on dull days, but I think I need to spend a lot more than a couple of hundred to get what I need.

Last edited by mr.sneezy; Sep 19, 2011 at 7:46 AM.
mr.sneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:28 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback on the Metz, Martin. I have heard it was a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sneezy View Post
I'm also interested in low light shooting, but outdoors at moving things on dull days, but I think I need to spend a lot more than a couple of hundred to get what I need.
Hah! I'm afraid you're correct. There's a famous quote about race cars, attributed to both John Lingenfelter and Banjo Mathews, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

It's also true of camera lenses.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote